Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:48:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]
Author Topic: Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'  (Read 24203 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2012, 01:09:05 AM »

Interesting how every Democrat here will acknowledge that Reid is probably at least incorrect, but no Republican will acknowledge that something at least seems slightly suspicious about Romney's steadfast refusal to do something every presidential candidate has automatically done for 50+ years.

No presidential candidate has ever released 30+ years of tax returns, which is what would be necessary to cover the duration of Romney's association with Bain.

Why didn't Obama release his birth certificate in 2008?

You seriously are going Birther on us?

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »

No presidential candidate has ever released 30+ years of tax returns, which is what would be necessary to cover the duration of Romney's association with Bain.
But every Presidential candidate has released more than 2 years of returns. And even those two years are incomplete. McCain released 2 years during his campaign, but he had release returns every time he ran for re-election to the senate since 1986. Kerry did the same thing with his returns. And these were two extremely wealthy men.

He did, but it wasn't enough for Trump and all you crazy people. I don't remember anyone bugging Kerry for his birth certificate or McCain. Nobody bothered Bush about his birth certificate 3 years into his presidency.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2012, 01:42:54 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 01:45:14 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

But every Presidential candidate has released more than 2 years of returns. And even those two years are incomplete. McCain released 2 years during his campaign, but he had release returns every time he ran for re-election to the senate since 1986. Kerry did the same thing with his returns. And these were two extremely wealthy men.

He did, but it wasn't enough for Trump and all you crazy people. I don't remember anyone bugging Kerry for his birth certificate or McCain. Nobody bothered Bush about his birth certificate 3 years into his presidency.

Ironically it's McCain and Romney's father who had the serious issues with where they were born.

I found this on Wikipedia.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

McCain was born in 1936, which means that when he was born he was not a US citizen. Sure, the following year he was retroactively given US citizenship, but it sounds like to me he was ineligible to become President.

There you have it folks. One of the major party nominees for President in 2008 was ineligible to become President because of his birthplace. The irony is incredible.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 01:47:33 AM by Politico »

Interesting how every Democrat here will acknowledge that Reid is probably at least incorrect, but no Republican will acknowledge that something at least seems slightly suspicious about Romney's steadfast refusal to do something every presidential candidate has automatically done for 50+ years.

Absolutely not. My point is that Obama did not release his official birth certificate until 2011. Your reasoning on Romney is completely in line with the "Birther" reasoning in 2008 (i.e., "he won't release it so he must be hiding something!"). They claimed Obama was hiding something when he was not. The same applies to Romney and his tax returns. Romney has not broken the law, but he is wealthy and does not want to feed the narrative that he is "out-of-touch" wealthy. That is why they have yet to release the returns. It is nothing nefarious.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »

Absolutely not. My point is that Obama did not release his official birth certificate until 2011. Your reasoning on Romney is completely in line with the "Birther" reasoning in 2008 (i.e., "he won't release it so he must be hiding something!"). They claimed Obama was hiding something when he was not. The same applies to Romney and his tax returns. Romney has not broken the law, but he is wealthy and does not want to feed the narrative that he is "out-of-touch" wealthy. That is why they have yet to release the returns.

Obama released this birth certificate in June 2008. Funny how the birthers ignored the problem of McCain being born in the Canal Zone before that 1937 law.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/BarackObamaCertificationOfLiveBirthHawaii.jpg
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2012, 01:52:28 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 03:03:23 AM by Politico »

Absolutely not. My point is that Obama did not release his official birth certificate until 2011. Your reasoning on Romney is completely in line with the "Birther" reasoning in 2008 (i.e., "he won't release it so he must be hiding something!"). They claimed Obama was hiding something when he was not. The same applies to Romney and his tax returns. Romney has not broken the law, but he is wealthy and does not want to feed the narrative that he is "out-of-touch" wealthy. That is why they have yet to release the returns.

Obama released this birth certificate in June 2008.

What was the big hoopla at the dinner before the assassination of Bin Laden? As I recall, Obama never released his official "long-form" birth certificate until 2011. I may be recalling incorrectly.

I never bought into the "Birther" arguments, but it is interesting that you have adopted the same reasoning as them with regards to Romney's tax returns. I am consistent when it comes to Romney's tax returns and Obama's "long-form" birth certificate.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »

Maybe President Obama will win in 2012 because Mitt Romney failed 1040!

If he had to amend returns to recognize income hidden away in foreign accounts, then he would show that he has played in accordance with the idea that rules are for fools until one gets caught -- after getting an amnesty.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »

I do not discuss personal matters on public forums.

I have made that clear in the past.

Personal matters, public forums, not a good mix.

Well you were the guy who brought up what you think the LDS does. I was wondering what your expertise about the matter was.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »

Obama released this birth certificate in June 2008. Funny how the birthers ignored the problem of McCain being born in the Canal Zone before that 1937 law.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/BarackObamaCertificationOfLiveBirthHawaii.jpg

Except that there is no problem?  At all?  Because McCain has citizenship via jus sanguinis from birth, just like George Romney, just like every other child of American citizens born outside the United States?

You are such a total hack sometimes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »

Obama is now campaigning on the claim that Ryan's plan would lower Romney's tax rate even further, to something shy of 1%. Is that possible?
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »

Obama is now campaigning on the claim that Ryan's plan would lower Romney's tax rate even further, to something shy of 1%. Is that possible?

If his plan involves eliminating taxes on capital gains (I think he wanted that just for $250k and under) then yeah.

Even back in the primary, Newt was saying under his (Newt's) tax plan (no capital gains taxes) Romney would pay virtually no federal income taxes because most of his income is classified as capital gains.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »

There is nothing in the least even slightly suspicious about Romney's steadfast refusal to release these tax files.

Yes there is.  When a candidate refuses to participate in standard procedure, even when members of his own party urge him to, it is only natural to assume he must have a reason not to.

Even though you won't admit it, you agree with me on this indisputable point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: August 19, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »

If his plan involves eliminating taxes on capital gains (I think he wanted that just for $250k and under) then yeah.

Even back in the primary, Newt was saying under his (Newt's) tax plan (no capital gains taxes) Romney would pay virtually no federal income taxes because most of his income is classified as capital gains.

I don't see anything about limiting it to $250k here.

http://roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/issues/issue/?IssueID=8514
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #288 on: August 19, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 12:25:21 AM by greenforest32 »

Yeah opps, I was referring to Romney's plan: http://www.mittromney.com/issues/tax

Newt even attacked him for it for 'engaging in class warfare' (why only no capital gains taxes for $200k/250k and under? he asked). Wouldn't be surprised if Romney is backing the House GOP plan now though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 01:03:35 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Except that there is no problem?  At all?  Because McCain has citizenship via jus sanguinis from birth, just like George Romney, just like every other child of American citizens born outside the United States?

You are such a total hack sometimes.

Umm, did you read my other post? The 1937 law fixed the citizenship issue, but that still means McCain wasn't a citizen at birth.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2012, 01:14:14 AM »

The Ryan plan would wipe out capital gains taxes almost completely.  Nearly the entirety of Romney's income is capital gains.  Romney would still be taxed on sales of his book, which is where the 1% tax he does still pay under the Ryan plan comes from.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies