MO: Akin could really blow this
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO: Akin could really blow this
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: MO: Akin could really blow this  (Read 19564 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »

Matt Blunt can't run for one obvious reason.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »

They can't do any better than the guy who lost last time and the old Governor who epic failed so badly he didn't run again because he was trailing by double digits?

Yeah, so it will be even more pathetic if Claire loses to one of them, right?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »

They can't do any better than the guy who lost last time and the old Governor who epic failed so badly he didn't run again because he was trailing by double digits?
Talent would easily handle McCaskill. 2012 is a much better year than 2006 was for Republicans, and on top of that, McCaskill has certainly not been a moderate hero some might have thought she would be back in 2006.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »

Talent is now advising Romney and is being tipped for the Pentagon. So if they pick someone from outside the primary it would be Graves or Blunt (who lest we forget, has beaten McCaskill before).
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

Talent would easily handle McCaskill. 2012 is a much better year than 2006 was for Republicans, and on top of that, McCaskill has certainly not been a moderate hero some might have thought she would be back in 2006.

Talent didn't want to run a yearlong bitter campaign. With this, he would get to leapfrog that step, run a 3 month campaign, and let crossroads/NRSC fuel his victory.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »

Republicans now say Akin can be eaten by the vultures:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/national/AP-Source-Funding-drying-up-for-Mo-candidate_55607582
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

This may have been answered before, but who gets to pick Akin's replacement if he leaves?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »

The question is, can this guy be swayed by the establishment GOP. The hard right are with him, including FRC. Does he care if the party drops him?

I'm curious, is he also running for his congressional seat as well? Does he have anything to fall back on if he loses? If so, what are Boehner and Cantor saying? Will they threaten him with loss of committee positions if he doesnt drop out?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »

This may have been answered before, but who gets to pick Akin's replacement if he leaves?

MO GOP State Committee members

And of course he isn't running for his House seat right now. Former Ambassador Ann Wagner is the GOP nominee there.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

Brunner/Schweich/Talent are potential replacements.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/gop-source-gop-officials-looking-to-replace-akin
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »

Akin just said on Hannity that he's staying in. They have to do whatever's necessary to get him out of there.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

Just made it worse: "I read in 'medical reports' that women can have a 'reaction' to rape that stops pregnancy."
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »

Just made it worse: "I read in 'medical reports' that women can have a 'reaction' to rape that stops pregnancy."

He is doubling down?  Seriously?

And this guy is on the science committee?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »

Erickson just tweeted that consultants are saying he's going while Akin & his team are denying it. Talent said he's not running. So Brunner or Schweich will take up the mantle. Preferably Brunner since he has name ID, $$$ & infrastructure ready to go.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks this is a massive overreaction to what he said? I mean, it was stupid, but saying stupid things happens all the time in politics. The actual text of what he said wasn't that bad. I guess if you're using as a proxy for a pattern it's ok.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks this is a massive overreaction to what he said? I mean, it was stupid, but saying stupid things happens all the time in politics. The actual text of what he said wasn't that bad. I guess if you're using as a proxy for a pattern it's ok.

I agree; I don't think the backlash to Ken Buck's similar comments was nearly this bad...
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »

Just putting it out there, but if Akin made these comments in 2004, would the reaction by the GOP be the same? T'was the height of the religious right after all, and FRC are defending him now.

As someone that is religious and opposed to abortion (though with exceptions), I have to say that's a really asinine thing you just said.

As I said, just putting the idea out there.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »

Truly the hero our times deserve.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

So is Akin in or out?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

He says he's in.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »

Trying to stay in. TPM says the tell will be how much money he raises in the next day or so to see if he survives.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

And this guy is on the science committee?

And some people wonder why those with Graduate-level degrees skew heavily Democratic.

This guy is an embarrassment for the Republicans. I hope his replacement in the House is more sane and pragmatic, and I wish Senator McCaskill a productive second term.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »

It wasn't just "stupid." Most of us on this forum have the privilege of not having to be wary of members of the opposite sex much of the time. We don't have to be especially careful in terms of where we park our cars, where we walk at night, or what we do at parties. Women live with this fear much more than men do, for good reason.

What Akin said was incredibly offensive, not just to women who have been raped, but to all women...hell, a lot of men too. People who have a sense of respect and empathy for anyone at all should be appalled, but I guess that's too much to ask of some people.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »

I just went and took a look at Akin's facebook page for the hell of it. The dude is getting absolutely savaged on there by liberals who joined up to troll him but also by his actual conservative supporters (or ex-supporters). He's finished. They better figure out some way to remove him.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:37 PM »

I agree; I don't think the backlash to Ken Buck's similar comments was nearly this bad...
There is a difference between saying something right now and having said something ten years ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies