Wyoming Senate Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:20:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wyoming Senate Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wyoming Senate Race  (Read 1200 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:35:05 PM »

Pretty sure this could be the sleeper race of the cycle. Democrat Tim Chestnut is getting more than 50% of the vote in his primary so far tonight and looks like he could give John Barrasso a real run for his money. Chestnut is a county commissioner in one of the state's major population centers (Albany County is the 6th largest county in the state and also home to the University of Wyoming - great source of student volunteers). Barrasso is a pretty weak candidate; he underperformed against a joke of an opponent in 2008. Plus Wyoming has been trending Democratic recently.

I'd link to Chestnut's website but he doesn't seem to have one up yet. Should have it up in the next few weeks though.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:37:36 PM »

Pretty sure this could be the sleeper race of the cycle.
I'd link to Chestnut's website but he doesn't seem to have one up yet.
Not happening.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »

People don't really have the Internet in Wyoming anyways. Not as much of a campaign necessity as in a lot of other places.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »

People don't really have the Internet in Wyoming anyways. Not as much of a campaign necessity as in a lot of other places.

Is that so? I can't imagine living in such a place. Still, I would think a campaign website would be extremely beneficial, if not absolutely necessary, to raise funds. Although I can see why a Democrat in Wyoming would ignore a national grassroots fundraising network..
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »

The number of votes Barrasso got in the primary alone is already 5x that of the entire Democratic primary. Tongue
Reginald
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »

Unless the +44 approval rating PPP found for him has substantially deteriorated (granted, this was almost two years ago, but is there anything to suggest his approvals have significantly dropped?), I don't see this as much of a possibility at all, especially in Wyoming. Though it would be nice to see at least one poll, of course.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »

Underperformed what? Enzi?

John Barrasso Republican 183,063 73.35%
Nick Carter Democratic 66,202 26.53%
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »

The number of votes Barrasso got in the primary alone is already 5x that of the entire Democratic primary. Tongue

Lots of competitive State House primaries drove up Republican turnout tonight. Also, Democrats typically turnout in lower numbers during summer primaries as a whole.

Keep in mind Wyoming is a very cheap state to run ads in. The DSCC could make a substantial buy here without making much of a dent in their spending in other races.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »

Can't tell if this is a dumb thread or a really dumb thread.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »

LoL. Barrasso may only win 65% of the vote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »

For once, I agree with you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »

I didn't know there are any Senate "elections" in Wyoming. I thought a bunch of Republicans is simply saying who's the Senator now Wink
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »

More Republican spin.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »

Democrats already had their chances, with the House seat twice and couldn't nab it (though, it would have been lost in 2010 either way).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »

Keep in mind Wyoming is a very cheap state to run ads in. The DSCC could make a substantial buy here without making much of a dent in their spending in other races.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Geographically speaking, much of the state is in larger out-of-state TV markets including Denver and Salt Lake City.   To fully cover the state might require advertising in 7 separate TV markets, including the two largely in-state ones, Cheyenne-Scottsbluff and Casper-Riverton.
Nichlemn

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »

Pretty sure this could be the sleeper race of the cycle. Democrat Tim Chestnut is getting more than 50% of the vote in his primary so far tonight and looks like he could give John Barrasso a real run for his money. Chestnut is a county commissioner in one of the state's major population centers (Albany County is the 6th largest county in the state and also home to the University of Wyoming - great source of student volunteers). Barrasso is a pretty weak candidate; he underperformed against a joke of an opponent in 2008. Plus Wyoming has been trending Democratic recently.

I'd link to Chestnut's website but he doesn't seem to have one up yet. Should have it up in the next few weeks though.

So Democratic trending, that when the R ticket lost a native son and many Western states trended Democratic... WY trended R.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »

Wyoming is trending Republican. Also, Barrasso underperformed by winning 73%-27%. When that's underperforming, you're rightfully very confident. That said, Wyoming can be weird occasionally (1988 Senate race or 2002 gubernatorial race come to mind) but there're many reasons to think Barrasso will win a landslide and no reasons to think he won't. I saw Barrasso give an interview to somebody sometime, and he came off as pretty smart but a little stiff, very careful about what he's saying. The opposite of gaffe-prone. He should be fine.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »

This was intended to be a critique of several posters here, but I guess I was too subtle.

Obviously the D's have no chance at this seat. Thread closed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies