Interesting series of articles about Mormons in Congress.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:21:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Interesting series of articles about Mormons in Congress.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting series of articles about Mormons in Congress.  (Read 681 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »

So every so often the Mormon blogosphere (informally called the "bloggernacle"), goes political, and this time, the very popular By Common Contest group blog has a great three-part series about Mormons currently in or running for Congress, written by a 26 year political veteran. Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

It's got a bit of a focus on Arizona, but it's very, informative, statistical, and builds a nice story about various candidates. Thought you guys would like it as a source about some of the more obscure congressional races.

As a side note, the comments in one of the articles also mention Kyrsten Sinema as an inactive, but still baptized Mormon, so if you're looking to make a list of Mormons in politics, you could probably count her.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:43:05 PM »

I'm guessing Mormons have a lock on all 4 UT congressional districts for the foreseeable future.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »

I'm guessing Mormons have a lock on all 4 UT congressional districts for the foreseeable future.

Yes. Same with the Governor's mansion and the Senate seats.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:36 AM »

Sure - since Mormons are so predominate statewide. I was basically wondering whether Utah might end up with a nonMormon majority district, but it doesn't look like it from the map, and it might be hard to do even if you tried. Even then, being a minority in many places hasn't stopped them from holding a disproportionate share of offices - kind of like how Wisconsin used to have 2 Jewish Senators.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 12:16:50 AM »

Sure - since Mormons are so predominate statewide. I was basically wondering whether Utah might end up with a nonMormon majority district, but it doesn't look like it from the map, and it might be hard to do even if you tried. Even then, being a minority in many places hasn't stopped them from holding a disproportionate share of offices - kind of like how Wisconsin used to have 2 Jewish Senators.

Unless the Republicans redid the districts in 2020 and let Salt Lake County have it's own district, there's no way a district will have a non-Mormon majority, even with a growing non-Mormon population. Utah just isn't configured that way. We could definitely have a non-Mormon congressperson though; the Catholic state senator Ross Romero is a possible contender for a Congress seat if Matheson loses to Mia Love.

Oh, and speaking of Jewish politicians, Utah had a Jewish Governor named Simon Bamberger back in the 1910s. Mormons loved him partially because he was Jewish.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies