DNC speakers announced 8/27 UPDATE: Crist will speak (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:05:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  DNC speakers announced 8/27 UPDATE: Crist will speak (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DNC speakers announced 8/27 UPDATE: Crist will speak  (Read 10953 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »

They better give my boys Feingold, Dean, and Schweitzer slots.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »

Eva Longoria, Sandra Fluke, and Lily Ledbetter speak, but no Schweitzer or Feingold? It seems like they're trying to stuff in as many women as possible. The unfortunate reality is that most Democratic leaders, and most of the best speakers, are still men.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »

Kerry's speaking. Not sure about Gore.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »

Warner and Schweitzer could still both be speakers; not all have been announced.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »

Huh

Two of the three people you mentioned are washed-up has-beens? 

Dean is personally responsible for the Democratic landslides in 2006 and 2008 and heads a major progressive organization. Feingold...sure, but a ton of has-beens are speaking.

However, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that they gave so many irrelevant women (sure women's health stuff is important, but they have like 10 speakers for the same damn purpose, and most prominent Democratic politicians that warrant a slot are still men) like Sandra Fluke and Eva Longoria, full speaking slots, while snubbing someone like Brian Schweitzer, who's a strong speaker with a solid record and can appeal to swing voters?

With the GOP's swing to the right and the nomination of a man who holds utter contempt for the average American, I hoped that Obama would take the opportunity to contrast him by bringing back the Democrats to what we're really about (or were until Bill the Cutter); the party that works to help the 99%. Given that most of the speaking slots are either by shiny moderates or are just highlighting a social issue which 49% of the country has absolutely no connection with, and that few (except maybe Strickland's and Warren's) are either by those on the base of the party or are focusing on the major issue of the campaign and taking a hardline pro-people stance on it, I'm rather disappointed in Obama and the DNC. I'll watch Obama, Biden, Castro, and Warren, and hopefully I'll feel better about the future of the Democrats.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

I'd have much more respect for Crist if he'd come out of the closet. I mean, as a politician, I don't see how going from Republican to Independent to Democrat is any more embarrassing than just admitting the truth.

Because in a hypothetical Democratic primary, a good part of his base (namely northern ConservaDems and African-Americans) aren't friends with that community, and besides, he's married. Or do you believe Jim Greer?

Larry Craig was married too.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »

Huh

Two of the three people you mentioned are washed-up has-beens? 

Dean is personally responsible for the Democratic landslides in 2006 and 2008 and heads a major progressive organization. Feingold...sure, but a ton of has-beens are speaking.

However, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that they gave so many irrelevant women (sure women's health stuff is important, but they have like 10 speakers for the same damn purpose, and most prominent Democratic politicians that warrant a slot are still men) like Sandra Fluke and Eva Longoria, full speaking slots, while snubbing someone like Brian Schweitzer, who's a strong speaker with a solid record and can appeal to swing voters?

With the GOP's swing to the right and the nomination of a man who holds utter contempt for the average American, I hoped that Obama would take the opportunity to contrast him by bringing back the Democrats to what we're really about (or were until Bill the Cutter); the party that works to help the 99%. Given that most of the speaking slots are either by shiny moderates or are just highlighting a social issue which 49% of the country has absolutely no connection with, and that few (except maybe Strickland's and Warren's) are either by those on the base of the party or are focusing on the major issue of the campaign and taking a hardline pro-people stance on it, I'm rather disappointed in Obama and the DNC. I'll watch Obama, Biden, Castro, and Warren, and hopefully I'll feel better about the future of the Democrats.

To add onto this; in summary, I feel the Democrats are, unlike the Republicans, ignoring the progressive base and trying to win by moving to the right.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »

So they have irrelevant women and a terrible CT governor up, but no Schweitzer or Dean or Gore?

Also, there is far too much of a focus on women's issues and gay rights. It's the economy, stupid!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »

So they have irrelevant women and a terrible CT governor up, but no Schweitzer or Dean or Gore?

Also, there is far too much of a focus on women's issues and gay rights. It's the economy, stupid!
Why would they bring back Dean or Gore?

Dean? Yeah, shouldn't have said that one. Tongue

They probably wanted Gore (or at least I hope they did), but he's at Current.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »

So then where's Walter Mondale?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

Also, the GOP made a good move by focusing their convention on the economy. Why is the DNC devoting a billion damn speeches to birth control and gay rights?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »

It's because he's Obama's buddy.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star