How long before the GOP has the governor's office in Washington again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:48:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How long before the GOP has the governor's office in Washington again?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How long before the GOP has the governor's office in Washington again?  (Read 2531 times)
CT27
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:36:54 PM »
« edited: November 11, 2012, 01:27:24 AM by CT27 »

Do you think the GOP will ever win a gubernatorial contest in Washington state again?

I hadn't seen that many polls prior to election day, but I thought McKenna was going to do it to be honest.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »

В конце концов, всему свой час.
Когда-нибудь, пусть не теперь,
Но через тридцать-сорок зим
Настанет время и для нас,
Когда на трон воссядет зверь,
И смерть воссядет рядом с ним.
И он начнет творить разбой,
И станет воздух голубым
От нашей крови голубой.

Мы удалимся в царство льдов,
        В страну снегов не знамо чьих,
        И никаких потом следов,
        Ориентиров никаких.
        Но наша кровь, кипя в ручьях,
        Придет в моря с теченьем рек
        И отразится в небесах,
        Пусть не теперь, но через век.

Всему свой срок, бессмертья нет,
И этот серый небосвод
Когда-нибудь изменит цвет
На голубой, и час придет,
И попрощаться в этот час,
Когда б ни пробил он, поверь,
Не будет времени у нас,
Мы попрощаемся теперь.

С любовью к нам от нас самих
        Пошлем приветы на века,
        Не расставаясь ни на миг
        До тех до самых пор, пока
        Неоспоримый, как приказ,
        Закат шепнет: "Je t'aime." Затем
        Пройдет и он, всему свой час.
        Прощайте все. Спасибо всем...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:02:20 AM »

Of course it will. "Ever" is a long time. The only way it wouldn't is if the GOP ceased to exist in the near future, which of course isn't at all likely.
CT27
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:28:23 AM »

I edited the title to be a little more practical.

How much longer do you think the Dems will have the governor's office? 
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:43:07 AM »

It's tough to say....they just seem to be so close nearly all the time and yet...I would say that, unless the state moves even further left, that it won't be long now. They just need the break they keep being unlucky enough to miss.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 03:11:47 AM »

The fact that they have their gubernatorial elections in presidential years certainly does the Republicans no favors.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »

They probably will some time, maybe even in the near future, but not as long as the GOP is seen as a bunch of far-right loons.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »

I would say two of the following need to happen simultaneously:

1) Republicans nominate someone who isn't crazy (McKenna qualifies as non-crazy)
2) Decmorats nominate someone who iscrazy
3) Democratic candidate has scandal in September/October
4) Republicans have a wave year (the two most recent have fallen in mid-terms, while our gubernatorial elections occur in presidential years)

But, the Democrats here always seem to assume they're going to lose and rarely take anything for granted.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »

They need 1) someone with good name recognition and personal bio, 2) an actual moderate (on social issues and some economic issues) and 3) the Democrat will probably need to falter to a certain extent/have a poor national climate.

As I said in the U.S. Senate thread, the Republican bench in WA is basically dead right now, so that's not helping things.

I think if Finkbeiner runs in 2016 against Inslee he would have a reasonable shot, assuming an OK year for Republicans, Inslee not having an incredible first term and Finkbeiner taking some actual moderate stances (unlike McKenna). He'd still be an underdog, however.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »

The GOP could win here more easily if they elected governors during the mid-terms when turnout is down, but they don't.

Also, the sluggish pace at which votes are counted here always seemed fishy going back to 2004.  Gregoire was going to get in no matter what.

Western WA is just growing too strongly right now and faster than eastern WA, similar to Northern vs. Southern/Western VA, although WA is further left.

The GOP is in very poor shape here.  Maybe even worse than WA though, OR does elect it's governors during off years and the republicans still can't win.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »

Also, the sluggish pace at which votes are counted here always seemed fishy going back to 2004.  Gregoire was going to get in no matter what.

We've adopted all-mail voting, but not as of 2004.

Oh, and if you're going to keep up with the "stolen election" thing, go ahead and provide evidence. Though I can tell you right  now you won't find any, so you might as well just admit you're wrong.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 02:34:29 AM »

Considering how close McKenna came this time around, I wouldn't rule out the GOP taking back Washington's governorship in 2016. In fact, I think they have a decent shot at it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »

We've adopted all-mail voting, but not as of 2004.

Oh, and if you're going to keep up with the "stolen election" thing, go ahead and provide evidence. Though I can tell you right  now you won't find any, so you might as well just admit you're wrong.
Then how do you explain the way that King County "discovered" a bunch of ballots that gave Gregoire the election after she lost the first two counts?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »

They did release the voter IDs attached to those ballots; they even posted it on the web site.  It was a pretty stupefying screw-up, but I don't understand why you'd believe they were invented ballots.  The ballots were recorded as received and the updated count matched the reconciliation for voter ID match-backs.

It's not really possible to "invent" a lot of non-existent voters during ballot counts and get away with it under Washington's system.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:31:31 PM »

Not to mention almost every county "discovered" ballots. King "discovered" the most because it's by far the largest county. Proportionately, six or seven counties "discovered" more ballots than King. Not that you'll ever hear that from whiny Republicans.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »

Not to mention almost every county "discovered" ballots. King "discovered" the most because it's by far the largest county. Proportionately, six or seven counties "discovered" more ballots than King. Not that you'll ever hear that from whiny Republicans.
Well, did those ballots favor Gregoire too?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »

Well, did those ballots favor Gregoire too?

I think the highest share of found votes, proportional to county population, was in Benton County or something -- whatever the case, I recall it was a conservative county with a Republican auditor.  What exactly are you alleging happened?
hopper
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »

Does the 2004 Washington State Governor's election even matter? Rossi had a rematch with Gregoire in 2008 and lost. Gregoire was still never really popular even after getting re-elected in 2008 though. Her approvals were always in the early to maybe mid 40's.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »

Today I learned that Mr Oldiesfreak believes the latest re-election of David Prosser to have been illegitimate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »

Then how do you explain the way that King County "discovered" a bunch of ballots that gave Gregoire the election after she lost the first two counts?

Do you think before you speak?  Or do you just spew partisan crap without evidence?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies