MA: Mideast Contest Winnings Taxation Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Contest Winnings Taxation Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Contest Winnings Taxation Act (Statute)  (Read 3612 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »
« edited: September 27, 2012, 09:58:18 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: 20RP12
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:53:09 PM »

First, it'd be nice to know if there is a federal tax already implemented. In many RL states, there is a large federal tax, then a smaller state tax, if my memory serves me correct.

I can't remember it being taxed, and Marokai can't either. Wink If it's not taxed on the federal level, which is a surprise, consider how left-leaning our Presidents and Senates have been, I'd tax the heck of it here at the state level.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:55:13 PM »

I'm with Tmthforu94.  We need money... tax it like it's going out of style.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:04:35 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2012, 02:06:23 AM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

I am wary of introducing new taxes so I need to be convinced to support this bill. And if I eventually support this bill, I will only accept the tax rates in the original version of the bill. There is no way I will get behind tax rates of 45% in this case - that eats up almost the half of the prize a person wins!
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »

I am wary of introducing new taxes so I need to be convinced to support this bill. And if I eventually support this bill, I will only accept the tax rates in the original version of the bill. There is no way I will get behind tax rates of 45% in this case - that eats up almost the half of the prize a person wins!

At the moment, we as a region need a balanced budget. I agree that 45% is rather high, but I don't think it can go a lot lower than that. Maybe 37% as a compromise.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:24:11 AM »

Here's a little quote of what the taxes are in America:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Additionally, there's a 5% witholding in Illinois, 3.4% in Indiana, 4.35% in Michigan, etc.

http://www.usamega.com/powerball-faq.asp

We're either going to have to implement taxes like this, or we're going to have to make some very deep, painful cuts if you really want to balance the budget. You can't have it both ways.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »

Before we get too excited over these new taxes, we should try to find out how much money this will actually generate. Let's keep in mind that the beer tax amendment that we have passed recently only resulted in an additional revenue of $150 million - nowhere near as much money as we need to balance the budget.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »

I support any way we can get new streams of revenue, but I do agree with the governor that that we should see how much money this will bring in before determining the percentages. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »

I would assume contest winnings are currently taxed as personal income.

Does the region have a lottery?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »

I'll need to do some research in the wiki to find that out. Maybe someone who's been in Atlasia for a longer time knows more about that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »

I'll need to do some research in the wiki to find that out. Maybe someone who's been in Atlasia for a longer time knows more about that.
Actually, to my knowledge, no. I'm almost certain one hasn't been established since 2009, and having read through the statue a couple of times, I don't think it's there either.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »

Maybe I could add a section establishing a regional lottery?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »

Before we get too excited over these new taxes, we should try to find out how much money this will actually generate. Let's keep in mind that the beer tax amendment that we have passed recently only resulted in an additional revenue of $150 million - nowhere near as much money as we need to balance the budget.
I understand the need for revenue, but I don't think that it's entirely fair to tax people's contest winnings.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »

I ran into this a few years ago and as a result I owed my state government a total of 1 USD. I'm confident it also lowered what I would've gotten back from the federal government. Personally contest winnings shouldn't be touched unless its a government based lottery.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

I ran into this a few years ago and as a result I owed my state government a total of 1 USD. I'm confident it also lowered what I would've gotten back from the federal government. Personally contest winnings shouldn't be touched unless its a government based lottery.
I actually agree - I didn't see the part on contest winnings and "other contests". That'd certainly be open to a lot of interpretation. I mainly want the tax for regional lottery.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »

Is there a need for a regional lottery? And do you think the Mideast could really collect a lot of money ("a lot" means several billion dollars because that's the amount of money we need to reduce the budget deficit in a meaningful way) by establishing a lottery?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

Is there a need for a regional lottery? And do you think the Mideast could really collect a lot of money ("a lot" means several billion dollars because that's the amount of money we need to reduce the budget deficit in a meaningful way) by establishing a lottery?
Well, in Indiana, I think a lot of the lottery money actually goes to education.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/how-much-implicit-tax-revenue-did-lotteries-raise-fy2010

Here's a good thing on how much revenue is generated.  So yes, establishing the lottery would bring a lot - Here in America, I can assure you that there's plenty of folks who would buy a ticket every day, as I see it happen all the time! Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

So if it is the intent of the members of this body to generate a lot of additional revenue from a regional lottery this bill has to be amended since it's mainly the sale of lottery tickets that has to be taxed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »

So if it is the intent of the members of this body to generate a lot of additional revenue from a regional lottery this bill has to be amended since it's mainly the sale of lottery tickets that has to be taxed.
I'm not sure I'm following you...put a tax on lottery tickets? I'm not sure that's how it works.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2012, 03:33:41 PM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

Well, the link states that the money which the state generates by the sale of lottery tickets is an implicit tax similar to excise taxes. Thus, people who buy a lottery ticket are subject to a tax. In a bill which establishes a regional lottery we have to decide whether we want that. The question is: Should the state lottery merely be cost-covering or is it our intention to collect a lot of money by means of such an implicit excise tax?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »

Well, the link states that the money which the state generates by the sale of lottery tickets is an implicit tax similar to excise taxes. Thus, people who buy a lottery ticket are subject to a tax. In a bill which establishes a regional lottery we have to decide whether we want that. The question is: Should the state lottery merely be cost-covering or is it our intention to collect a lot of money by means of such an implicit excise tax?

That's not what I'm saying. Unless I have just a completely botched view of how the lottery system works, they collect money off the sale of lottery tickets, then by taxing the winnings. I don't think there's an added tax on lottery tickets - I think it's just like the sales tax.

I may have to settle this by going down to the gas station and buying a scratch-off. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »

Exactly. A portion of the ticket price is essentially a sales tax - an "implicit lottery tax". That's what I'm saying.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »

Why not?  It's still income.  Although that brings up the point that we need to ensure we don't double tax.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

Exactly. A portion of the ticket price is essentially a sales tax - an "implicit lottery tax". That's what I'm saying.
Well, yeah, I guess you could say anything you buy from the government is kind of a tax, like stamps.

There's actually someone I know pretty well who's job has to do with the lottery up in Indy. I'll shoot him an e-mail tonight.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies