Kerry/Bush results for new CDs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:42:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Kerry/Bush results for new CDs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry/Bush results for new CDs  (Read 7908 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: October 14, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
« edited: October 15, 2012, 08:02:57 PM by Smid »

Miles, you are fantastic! Great work!

I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed your map to create a key map with the congressional districts shaded according to DRA. The map is slightly enlarged, to make some of the metropolitan areas easier to tell apart, and I smoothed the boundaries a little, as well. I just thought it might make it a little quicker when converting from table form to map.

I used this website to identify the districts, and Muon's California maps uploaded here to identify the shades required. Any mistakes, however, are obviously my own.

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:04 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2012, 07:15:40 PM by Smid »

Smid, I really like how that map came out! You did a good job of integrating the smaller districts.

Glad you approve of it! You did all the hard work, I just tinkered at the edges. It's not perfect, of course, some of the limbs sticking off some districts are just too small to accurately portray. I also toyed with leaving the water area out of Tampa Bay (more like VA-02, LA-01, or the islands off Alaska, Massachusetts or California, or the ones in WA, for that matter).

I've started playing around with it for a Cook PVI map, using Earl's 15-shade Conservative vs Liberal colour scale, used for Canadian elections, but I don't think I'll post it because it's not the standard ten-shades used here for US elections. It's not quite complete yet, anyway.

EDIT: Removed the water part of FL-14, as discussed above.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2012, 10:06:46 PM by Smid »

Here's the holy grail for this thread. The Cook Political Report calculated the 2004/2008 PVI for every new district.

Decided to upload it, even though it uses a different colour scale to that typically used by the Forum for US election results (full credit to Earl for creating this colour scale, which is saved in the Gallery in the "Miscellaneous" sub-folder). If someone wants to do it in the normal colour shades, I'm happy to pull this version down.

2012 Cook PVI by Congressional District (2004 & 2008 Presidential Results)

EDIT: Corrected errors in OR-04 and OR-05. Don't know how that happened, perhaps I was looking at Oklahoma by mistake.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:11:49 AM »

Again, sorry about using Earl's colour scale, rather than the official one. I apologise in advance for any errors I may have made.

2004 Presidential Results by New Congressional Districts

2008 Presidential Results by New Congressional Districts

2004-2008 Presidential Swing by New Congressional Districts

2004-2008 Presidential Trend by New Congressional Districts
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »

Biggest swings appear to be the 3 districts around Indianapolis and TX-34.

And HI Smiley

Good job Smid. I was going to make a trend map, but you've gotten that knocked out for me!

Glad you approve! I rather enjoyed doing it!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:24:33 PM »

Why apologize for my colour scale? Wink

Because it's different to what's typically used on the site for US domestic election results. Your fifteen shades are my preference, which is why I used them, but I figured it's courteous to apologise for the inconsistency with previous maps. A few posts up, I directed posters who are interested in using your colour scheme to the location in the gallery (under "Miscellaneous").
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies