NE2: Education Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:13:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Education Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Education Act  (Read 1085 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
« edited: August 31, 2012, 11:14:04 PM by Northeast Speaker Alfred F. Jones »

Education Act

1. The Northeast Secretary of Education shall create a regional Board of Education, composed of Northeast citizens chosen by the Secretary, over which they will preside and set the rules of its governing.

2. All persons attempting to procure teaching licenses in the Northeast must pass a standardized test written by the Board.

3. The Board shall have jurisdiction over all K-12 education policy and teacher benefits, including but not limited to: curricula, standards, benefits, pay, and tenure.

4. The Board shall distribute the educational funding allotted in the Northeast Budget as it sees fit.

Sponsor: Me

I have 24 hours to advocate for this bill, out of 48 total.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm introducing this bill so I can say I did something because I think our students deserve the best teachers we can give them. I think that our Secretary of Education, Mr. Secretary O. Education, will help provide the best possible education for our children and will make sure we gain and keep the best teachers and the best curriculum we can offer.

Questions? Comments? Does this already exist? This seemed like a good idea at the time, but I await your glorious feedback.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »

Two questions:

1. What will the test comprise of?
2. Will the Secretary of education be a poster? because if so I'm not sure we have the citizens to support it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »

Two questions:

1. What will the test comprise of?
2. Will the Secretary of education be a poster? because if so I'm not sure we have the citizens to support it.

1. Well, the test will be written and administered by the Board. They'll come up with it and do that.
2. They might be. We did have a few Cabinet officers a while back, but not anymore.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »

1. Um...no. I don't really care about the specifics of the composition of the board that much,just what it does.

2. Sure, why not? Are you officially proposing that as an amendment? If yes, it's friendly.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »

All right, then. Current text:

Education Act

1. The Northeast Secretary of Education shall create a regional Board of Education, composed of Northeast citizens chosen by the Secretary, over which they will preside and set the rules of its governing.

2. All persons attempting to procure teaching licenses in the Northeast must pass a standardized test written by the Board.

3. The Board shall have jurisdiction over all K-12 education policy and teacher benefits, including but not limited to: curricula, standards, benefits, pay, and tenure.

4. The Board shall distribute the educational funding allotted in the Northeast Budget as it sees fit.

5. A majority of board members will have been certified to teach in the Northeast Region AND have taught full-time for at least five out of the last ten years.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »

I'd like to propose an amendment:

(either as a sub-section of section 2 or as section 6) The standardized testing that is given must be reasonably in-depth, with no "memorized answer questions", must contain several essay and short-answer questions, etc.  This should be the model for the kids IMHO, so the teachers shouldn't teach themselves based around the test either.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »

Could you make that a bit more amendmenty? There's a bit of a blur between the legalization and your speculation about the thing.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »

Also, wouldn't that sort of be included in that other bill you proposed?

Meanwhile, in my mind, I'm requesting and granting a 24 hour extension of debate time.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »

Can I propose a counter amendment to jerseyrules, because I don't think that, for example, a maths or sports teacher should have to write long essays, and vice versa, which I think his amendment would do. Also I think that a person can have all the qualifications in the world, but they don't mean nothing if they can't teach, so I propose a practical aspect to this test.

Education Act

5. A majority of board members will have been certified to teach in the Northeast Region AND have taught full-time for at least five out of the last ten years.
6. The standardized test shall be relevant to the teachers subject and shall contain a practical element.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »

Bore's amendment is friendly. I've decided that Jersey's is hostile because The Law is a solid, unwavering construct with now time for this silly "should" or "IMHO" stuff.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »

Requesting and granting a 24 hour extension of debate time.

Representatives will now vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on Jerseyrules' amendment. Voting will last for 24 hours or until all members have voted.

-----------------------

Nay.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »

NAY
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »

Nay
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »

The amendment fails, 0-3.

Do you guys think this is ready to be voted on, or do we have more to debate?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2012, 04:18:06 PM by Northeast Speaker Alfred F. Jones »

Well, then, I'm abridging debate time to now.

Representatives will vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the final text. Voting will last for 24 hours or until all members have voted.

Education Act

6. The standardized test shall be relevant to the teacher's subject and shall contain a practical element.

---------------------

Aye.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »

AYE
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »

AYE
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »

Wait, Nix, you can vote?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »

Aye
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »

With five four ayes, zero nays, and Funky, the bill passes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies