The Asian American vote by state...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:09:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Asian American vote by state...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Asian American vote by state...  (Read 10125 times)
Lpanderson15
LpaNguyen5

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »

The Asian American Vote by state..... My guess.....

Asians in MA: 86 Obama
Asians in MI: 86 Obama
Asians in PA: 79 Obama
Asians in NJ: 74 Obama
Asians in MD: 72 Obama
Asians in IL: 71 Obama
Asians in VA: 67 Obama
Asians in AZ: 62 Obama
Asians in HI: 62 Obama
Asians in CA: 61 Obama
Asians in NV: 55 Obama
Asians in CO: 55 Obama
Asians in UT: 53 Obama
Asians in TN: 51 Obama
Asians in TX: 51 Obama
Asians in GA: 57 McCain
Asians in SC: 58 McCain
Asians in LA: 59 McCain

Arabic: 89 Obama (including Egyptian)
Indian: 80 Obama
Chinese: 72 Obama
Japanese: 84 Obama
Korean: 68 Obama
Filipino: 58 Obama
Vietnamese: 52 McCain
Cambodian: 59 McCain

後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »

Arabs are not classified as Asians. Also, Obama getting 80% of the Muslim vote? Sure. 89% of the Arab vote? Hell no. For one, most Arab-Americans are Christians.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »

Arabs are not classified as Asians. Also, Obama getting 80% of the Muslim vote? Sure. 89% of the Arab vote? Hell no. For one, most Arab-Americans are Christians.

Also to add Filipino and Vietnamese-American's are one of the more conservative ethnic groups in the US. So no way Obama did very well amongst ether group or for that matter that McCain got less then 55% amongst the Vietnamese. Even the younger generations in both communties tend to be Republicans.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Washington State has a larger percentage of Asians than most of the states on your list.  The other states with a high number of Asian voters relative to the rest of the population:  Hawaii (where they are more than 50% of the population), California, Nevada, New York, New Jersey.
Lpanderson15
LpaNguyen5

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2012, 06:14:38 PM by LpaNguyen5 »

Maybe I was wrong about 89 percent of Arab Americans voting for Obama according to a poll 96 percent of Arab Americans voted for Obama...... If you dont believe me then look up "the Asian American vote in the 2008 presidential election" on google, it will be in a PDF form the title of it will be NY, Nj, MA, PA.... or it will will be titled the Asian American vote in the 2008 presidential election it is a poll done by the AALDEF.. This site won't let me post links... Look on page 8 it shows the poll....

Here are results from the AALDEF poll....

Bangladeshi: 97 Obama
Arab: 96 Obama
Pakistani: 94 Obama
Asian Indian 91 Obama
Cambodian: 77 Obama
Chinese: 73 Obama
Korean: 64 Obama
Filipino: 59 Obama
Vietnamese: 67 McCain

Born in the U.S. 82 Obama
Naturalized CiTizens: 73 Obama

Read English Very Well: 81 Obama
Limited English Proficiency: 64 Obama

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »

Why are Vietnamese so right wing in the US? They tend to be NDP supporters here... and  by here, I mean in Ottawa.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:51:59 PM »

Why are Vietnamese so right wing in the US? They tend to be NDP supporters here... and  by here, I mean in Ottawa.

Vietnamese are very Republican, but not very conservative. It's a difference. Many, especially older Vietnamese, vote Republican because it was Democrat perfidy and hypocrisy that led to them having to flee their homeland.

Obviously, the NDP had no hand in that.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »

Vietnamese are very Republican, but not very conservative. It's a difference. Many, especially older Vietnamese, vote Republican because it was Democrat perfidy and hypocrisy that led to them having to flee their homeland.

Obviously, the NDP had no hand in that.

Oh I see. So they vote based on what happened in the past. That's why they vote NDP here. When our MP's mother was mayor, she brought in a lot of Vietnamese boat people to live in the city. So, they vote for her party, and for her son.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »

I think Vietnamese are becoming more Democratic with each generation, similar to cubans. They are still a Republican demographic though. It also depends where they live. Those living in Orange county seem to be hardcore Republicans but those living in San Jose and the PacNW are split in their voting.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 09:09:08 AM by Snowstalker »

The few Vietnamese I know well (they're surprisingly common in Lancaster) are all Democrats, though I have a sample size of 3. Tongue

Based on exit polls (Asians voted 62-36 Obama), I'd say that McCain won Cambodians, Laotians, Vietnamese, and Filipinos, while Obama won the rest.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 10:01:01 AM »

For obvious reasons, Vietnamese are strongly anti-Communist; they're similar to Cubans in this respect. Younger Vietnamese tend to be much more Democratic than their parents and grandparents.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

I think Vietnamese are becoming more Democratic with each generation, similar to cubans. They are still a Republican demographic though. It also depends where they live. Those living in Orange county seem to be hardcore Republicans but those living in San Jose and the PacNW are split in their voting.

This is also true. And not surprising. As their children assimilate, it's only natural their voting patterns would trend towards the mean.

Also, voting statistics for Chinese are completely useless. Because you have people who came over from Taiwan in the 80's, people who came from Guangdong in the 1800's, people who fled Hong Kong before the handover, people who moved from the PRC in the 90's, and literally 500 different groups, all who are very very different. As opposed to say Vietnamese or Cubans, who mostly moved to the USA in two waves.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 10:22:50 PM »

Also to add Filipino and Vietnamese-American's are one of the more conservative ethnic groups in the US. So no way Obama did very well amongst ether group or for that matter that McCain got less then 55% amongst the Vietnamese. Even the younger generations in both communties tend to be Republicans.

Filipino Americans have historically been very Democratic on the West Coast. They're the mainstay of the HI Democratic Party.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »

Filipino Americans have historically been very Democratic on the West Coast. They're the mainstay of the HI Democratic Party.

Everyone in Hawaii is the mainstay of the HI Democratic Party. Hawaii is probably the most heavily Democratic state in the United States, except for the possible exception of Massachusetts, and I'm not so sure about that.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »

Old Vietnamese people are pretty much single-issue voters, and they vote overwhelmingly Republican because of the tough on Communism days; however that isn't to say that they aren't also socially conservative and fearful of "uppity blacks". However they aren't alone in that sentiment as most other old Asian people are also openly racist towards blacks, but unlike Vietnamese-Americans vote solidly Democratic.

Younger Vietnamese American voters (such as myself) really don't care about any of that stuff, and depending on our levels of assimilation/integration vote similarly to other young voters. Some young Vietnamese-Americans are strong Catholics and do vote Republican based on abortion/the gays.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »

Everyone in Hawaii is the mainstay of the HI Democratic Party. Hawaii is probably the most heavily Democratic state in the United States, except for the possible exception of Massachusetts, and I'm not so sure about that.

Kerry only won the state by 9 points in 2004. Obama's margin of victory in 2008 was mainly a native son effect.

It certainly leans to the left but you can't really peg it as super Democratic. It kind of does its own thing out there in the ocean.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:40 AM »

IME Asians tend to be socially moderate-to-liberal and economically moderate-to-conservative. Bill Clinton did wonders to bring Asians into the Democratic Party, but Mitt Romney is also well-tailored to appeal to the Asian vote. Unfortunately there is also a residual racism among many Asians especially older Asians. They see white people as the gold standard and are quite openly racist toward blacks.

I've been noticing a lot of Asian American Republicans lately. Just anecdotally--

I was shocked last week, one of my best friend's dads suddenly passed away. He knew he's a huge Democrat and he's Indian American, so I expected his family to lean Democratic too. I was shocked to hear that his 29-year old cousin who is from Charlotte is voting for Romney, even though he says he is a Democrat and supports Obamacare. He said Obama "fooled" people in 2008 and my friend's uncle agreed. Then he complained to me that he offers $10 an hour for drivers but people just apply so they can get unemployment benefits and don't seriously want to take the job. He thinks Romney having no convictions is a good thing because it suggests flexibility. I tried to push back a little pointing out how the economic is recovering but he then said he didn't want to talk about it further.

Of course my best friend who is also Indian American and vocally left-wing, a big Obama supporter in 2008, says he's voting for Jill Stein. Of course he doesn't live in a swing state so it doesn't matter. But he volunteered for Obama four years ago and isn't now. Obama lost him a long time ago, probably 2010 at the latest.

Another Chinese American (from mainland) I knew from High School and College (yeah I live in one of the highest concentration areas of Asian Americans in Montco) told me over the summer that he's a Republican, which doesn't surprise me in the least, as I think he was Republican in College as well. He's always been a Wall Street Type. E.G., he works on Wall Street, and when I ask him why he likes Republicans he says that he doesn't like it when the poor leech off others. He says he should be rewarded for planning ahead in life and getting his currently high paying job, and so on. But he's also moderate, like he agrees that welfare is needed for "social stability". He reminds me a lot of my Sikh roommate in College who was also economically conservative, socially liberal moderate Republican who ended up becoming an investment banker at Goldman Sachs, after reading Liar's Poker.

Last year I found out one of my coworkers who is Korean is also a massive evangelical Christian, when they had that things about the supposed end of the world that that one preacher predicted, I asked this guy about it and he said-- it's not going to happen, because-- and listed off like a dozen super specific things that would presage the End Times... this is a really smart guy, a senior engineer on our team. You never once would have suspected it.

I still probably know more Asian American Democrats than Republicans, but there are more Republicans than I would have thought. I get the sense that people perceive Obama as being more left-wing economically than he actually is, even though his health care and tax policies are economically to the right of Clinton's, it's not well recognized that Obama can't do welfare reform all over again, he can't repeal Glass-Steagall over again like Clinton did. He is President at a different time than Clinton, facing different circumstances. It doesn't necessarily mean that his economic instincts are any more interventionist than Clinton's.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 12:27:58 AM »

Tell him that Mitt Romney really planned ahead. He chose to be born to a CEO turned governor turned Presidential candidate, so that he could become a CEO turned governor turned Presidential candidate. They want to eliminate the estate tax, so that choosing the right parents will help you even more.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 04:35:03 AM »

They see white people as the gold standard and are quite openly racist toward blacks.
Internalizing this attitude is just good economic sense for any wanting-to-be-upwardly-mobile immigrant to the US. Can't be seen mixing with the Negroes.

The issue with the "Arabs" poll may be that the large Christian Lebanese community in the US tend to identify primarily as Lebanese, not Arabs. (They're also far more certain to do what the Census Bureau wants all Arabs to do and identify their race as White.)
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »

Surprised Asians vote so heavily Dem in MI, NJ, PA, and even AZ.

In TX Asians seems pretty centrist in voting 51% Obama.

A little surprised maybe Asians only voted 62% Obama in HI.

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »

HI can't be correct--Obama got 70%, so that would have put the white vote at about 78% Obama.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 01:46:52 AM »

Surprised Asians vote so heavily Dem in MI, NJ, PA, and even AZ.

In TX Asians seems pretty centrist in voting 51% Obama.

A little surprised maybe Asians only voted 62% Obama in HI.

Texas didn't have an exit poll this time around, right? Although Asians in TX only voting 51% Obama wouldn't be terribly surprising.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2013, 10:40:19 AM by pbrower2a »

Kerry only won the state by 9 points in 2004. Obama's margin of victory in 2008 was mainly a native son effect.

It certainly leans to the left but you can't really peg it as super Democratic. It kind of does its own thing out there in the ocean.

Hawaii went for Republicans only twice since it became a State -- only during the Nixon blowout in 1972 and the Reagan blowout of 1984. Rhode Island is much the same. Kerry was just an awful campaigner in 2004. The only way in which Hawaii otherwise goes Republican in a Presidential election is if the Democratic nominee shows himself a bigot to some Asian population group or the Republicans nominate someone from Hawaii.

Think of it as the inverse of a state like Indiana -- it says that it is flexible in its voting, but something has to cause it to break from its usual pattern.  

Filipinos are generally ultra-conservative in personal lives -- so they are insulated from the consequences of mass depravities and can be more liberal on other issues.

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »

Hawaii is also very pro-incumbent. The last accurate measure of Hawaii is 2000, though Nader took some votes from Gore.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 02:36:50 AM »

Recent memories of the Communist takeover.  In general, Vietnamese Americans dislike both the Commie regime in Vietnam and the People's Republic of China.  Until China started rattling sabers late in 2013, China did fairly well with even Koreans on the argument that the PRC is a good place in which to do business. Korean-Americans of course despise the Democratic People's Republic of Korea -- then again, who doesn't? Koreans would likely think a Chinese puppet state an improvement over the insane combination of an absolute monarchy and Communism both at their worst.

Are Vietnamese-Americans slow to assimilate into the political trends of other Asian-Americans?     
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies