Romney: "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" Answer: "Yes." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:05:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney: "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" Answer: "Yes." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney: "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" Answer: "Yes."  (Read 2247 times)
retromike22
United States

« on: September 01, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »

That question is probably the most common one asked when a President runs for reelection, and Mitt Romney alluded to it in his acceptance speech:

That's why every president since the Great Depression who
came before the American people asking for a second term could
look back at the last four years and say with satisfaction,
``You're better off than you were four years ago.''  Except
Jimmy Carter.

And except this president.
   (APPLAUSE)
   This president can ask us to be patient.  This president
can tell us it was someone else's fault.  This president can
tell us that the next four years will get it right.  But this
president cannot tell us that you're better off today than when
he took office.

First off, he forgot about the first George Bush. But that's not what I wanted to focus on. My point is, when Romney (or any person wishing to see Obama lose) asks the question "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" it always clashes with the phrase (and reality) that "Obama took power in a crisis." And the fact is, that crisis did not become worse, it has not been at the same level, but it has improved.

1. Jobs

More jobs are being added now than when Obama first took office. It's not sky high, but it's not a loss of jobs, which is what would be the case if things were worse from 4 years ago. But let's not just look at 4 years ago, let's see everything since 2001.

Look at now, vs. 4 years ago. You cannot make the argument that the job creation rate is worse than it was 4 years ago! If it was worse, wouldn't it have been, lower, like -3,000? It's not even stagnant from 4 years ago, it's improved.

2. Obamacare.

Although some people may have an unfavorable opinion of Obamacare, and of the individual mandate, the truth is that when it comes to the individual policy changes, a strong majority of Americans favor those changes. It is a fact that Obamacare will allow 30 million people to have health insurance, and I'm one of them. Because of that bill, I (along with many of my friends) are able to be covered by our parent's health insurance. That alone is something better than it was 4 years ago. I think people are greatly underestimating the number of young people who will vote for Obama on that reason alone.

I think those two main reasons are why the question "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" has the answer: yes.

And the reasons why foreign policy is such a minor issue in this election:

3. The Iraq War is over.

4. Osama bin Laden is Dead.

Here's a nice list of Obama's accomplishments since 2009, with citations for each:
http://pleasecutthecrap.typepad.com/main/what-has-obama-done-since-january-20-2009.html
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »

The number of people who think they're better off has increased, it's almost even with people who say they are worse off.

"Thirty-eight percent of registered voters now say the nation is better off, which is up from 31 percent in the August NBC/WSJ poll conducted before the conventions.
Still, a plurality of voters -- 41 percent -- believe the country is worse off, while 21 percent think it's in the same place."

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13941205-nbcwsj-poll-optimism-in-obama-presidency-increases?lite
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies