SENATE BILL: The Contempt of Congress Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:06:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Contempt of Congress Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Contempt of Congress Act (Law'd)  (Read 3254 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »

VETO
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

This Senate is voting to make law the removal of the most basic form of Atlasian participation for those who, for whatever reason, are unavailable to appear before a committee comprised of members of this body, the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia, whose own members often neglect their duty to the people by not voting or debating within the boundaries of the established legislative process.

I have been a proponent of committees from the start and this is not empowerment- this is a power grab.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »

If someone has a valid reason for not appearing before a Committee, they aren't punished.

Yeah, with the Senate committee determining what is and is not legitimate, as opposed to the democratic standard of a fair and impartial jury or judge.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »

This Senate is voting to make law the removal of the most basic form of Atlasian participation for those who, for whatever reason, are unavailable to appear before a committee.

Wrong. The bill comes with a loophole that will allow legitimate absences to go unpunished. I anticipate that the senate will be flexible in determining whether or not to charge an Atlasian with contempt of Congress. We just need an enforcement mechanism to make sure people are doing their jobs. Moreover, the Supreme Court will ultimately decide whether or not a voting ban is warranted.

Where is the enforcement mechanism to make sure you do your job?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »

Wormyguy wasn't disenfranchised.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »

It actually is the Supreme Court that decides; we only press charges.

That is quite obviously not true considering the text of the bill.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Section 3 makes it clear that the case will be brought in front of the Supreme Court.

I like how you ignore the section most relevant to my point.

Quote from: Restricted

It's clear in the text of the bill that the committee is given the power to determine whether or not an excuse is "legitimate". The Court/jury would then be able to rule only whether or not the Atlasian is guilty of "committing" the "crime" based on what the Committee has already determined itself.

[/quote]

I'm making a specific objection now.

He also didn’t have the luxury of defending himself in front of the Supreme Court.
[/quote]

Um, okay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies