Should Pharmacists be allowed to not sell emergency contraception?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:05:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Pharmacists be allowed to not sell emergency contraception?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Pharmacists be allowed to not sell emergency contraception?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Should Pharmacists be allowed to not sell emergency contraception?  (Read 1109 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:33:01 AM »

So should Pharmacists be allowed to not sell emergency contraception such as Plan B or Next Step? In my opinion they shouldn't be able to not sell these products. It is their job to sell them and if they don't like it they should find another line of work. There are plenty of Pharmacists out there who will do the job properly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:43:29 AM »

It seems to me that if you are in the business of selling a class of product and you don't want to carry a particular item in the class, that's your business.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »

It seems to me that if you are in the business of selling a class of product and you don't want to carry a particular item in the class, that's your business.

Exactly. My mechanic doesn't fix Fords and my barber doesn't do perms. How is pharmacy any different?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »

If the pharmacy stocks it, the pharmacist should have to sell it.  I could even support requiring the pharmacy to provide some degree of assistance to a potential customer if they don't have it in stock. But the decision on what drugs to stock should be left to the pharmacy to decide.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »

Yes, if you work in a chain you must dispense it. The independents can choose their own formulary but one that doesn't keep even one box in stock would be one I would not patronize.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »

So you're saying that, if I'm a pharmacist, I am legally mandating to keep in stock and sell a particular kind of product, regardless of whether or not I want to sell it? It's my own store, and I can sell whatever I want, and if you don't like it you can take your business elsewhere.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »

So should Pharmacists be allowed to not sell emergency contraception such as Plan B or Next Step? In my opinion they shouldn't be able to not sell these products. It is their job to sell them and if they don't like it they should find another line of work. There are plenty of Pharmacists out there who will do the job properly.
Right, there are plenty of pharmacists who will fill it if a few don't. So why force them to? 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »

They should be allowed to 'not sell it', but they should be delicensed and barred from the profession.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »

Right, there are plenty of pharmacists who will fill it if a few don't. So why force them to? 

Meh, like I said independents can do whatever they want. If you work at a chain you should have to fill it. These people are complete assholes though who support greater levels of abortion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

Meh, like I said independents can do whatever they want. If you work at a chain you should have to fill it. These people are complete assholes though who support greater levels of abortion.

They are, and they have a right to be an asshole.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »

Are pharmacists allowed to refuse to dispense other prescriptions or is this basically just another religious exemption?

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/pharmacist-conscience-clauses-laws-and-information.aspx
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »

Yes, companies should be allowed to sell or not sell whatever products they want.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »

As far as I know, due to these conscience clauses, in many states any Pharmacist regardless of who they work for can refuse to sell emergency contraception. They can also refuse to sell controlled medications if they feel it will be diverted or misused. Indeed, in TN if you smell someone reeking of alcohol you cannot sell them controlled medications. Beyond that I don't think a pharmacist can just refuse to dispense your Lisinopril or your Prednisone. Emergency contraception they can because our society is still fine with shaming women. Independents can do whatever they want but Pharmacists who work for chains should not be sheltered.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »

Yes, companies should be allowed to sell or not sell whatever products they want.

So if CVS stocks morning after pills, should a Pharmacist working for them be allowed to not sell it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »

So if CVS stocks morning after pills, should a Pharmacist working for them be allowed to not sell it.
Yes, and CVS should be allowed to (and should) fire them for it.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »

Pharmacies are everywhere, and open typically until 9 pm, and most are part of chains which of course will sell contraception items. Having laws specifying what  inventory some ma and pa pharmacy must contain seems just not worth the candle. It is addressing a "problem" which functionally does not exist. We already have too much laws on the books as it is, many not really enforced, which then becomes its own problem, because it gives law enforcement selective enforcement powers, which can lead to favoritism and discrimination.

So no sbane, you need to chill on this one.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »

The problem is that in many states the government has passed laws making it ok for Pharmacists to not dispense these products with a low risk of getting fired for it. Now, I don't know whether a law requiring independent Pharmacies to carry these products is necessary, but let's make sure this sort of behavior isn't protected by the law.

And of course this isn't a problem at all in any urban or suburban area, since there is likely a Pharmacy within a mile or two radius, but it can impact people in rural areas.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »

The problem with allowing pharmacists to refuse is what to do when all decide to refuse and an area has no access to emergency contraception.  Should the government step in and distribute it in that scenario, or should the government require private pharmacies to do so?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »

Oh, I though the title said pharmacies, not pharmacists. I would assume that most stores would have policies against workers refusing to sell products that are in the store, so I wouldn't think this is a common problem.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 01:05:12 AM »

The problem with allowing pharmacists to refuse is what to do when all decide to refuse and an area has no access to emergency contraception.  Should the government step in and distribute it in that scenario, or should the government require private pharmacies to do so?
People who care can step in and provide it, and the government can allow it to be distributed directly by any health care provider, public or private.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 05:46:09 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 05:59:39 AM by Senator Sbane »

Oh, I though the title said pharmacies, not pharmacists. I would assume that most stores would have policies against workers refusing to sell products that are in the store, so I wouldn't think this is a common problem.

Pharmacies are heavily regulated by the government. And no, it's not just those damn libruls. Here in TN, we have to ask for ID every time anyone picks up a controlled medication, even if we know who they are and have been serving them for years. It pisses them off, and slows down our workflow in a work environment that is already extremely fast paced. How's that for idiotic government regulation? Of course when the Republicans do it, it's just fine, yeah?

So this means that in many states Pharmacists can refuse to sell Plan B or Next Step due to their religious beliefs. The chain stores may want their Pharmacists to fill it, but they can't actually do anything about it and cannot take any action against those Pharmacies. The Board of Pharmacy is king, not the stores.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 05:48:02 AM »

People who care can step in and provide it, and the government can allow it to be distributed directly by any health care provider, public or private.

What exactly are you envisioning? This is not like a health clinic where you can set it up a couple of times a year in an indigent community and check their blood pressure and blood glucose. The need for this can arise at any time and the medication needs to be used within 72 hours.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

WTF? When did I ever say regulation of business is fine if Republicans do it? I oppose those regulations & would oppose them regardless of who's proposing them.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

WTF? When did I ever say regulation of business is fine if Republicans do it? I oppose those regulations & would oppose them regardless of who's proposing them.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth, but usually only Democrats are blamed for needless regulations.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »

If the store stocks it, then the pharmacist should have to sell it (or have another pharmacist at that location sell it, if at no inconvenience to the woman).

The same people who say that those workers who complain about poor working conditions at Wal-Mart should just get a job somewhere else; they should apply that here too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies