if we ever get the four-day work week how would you structure it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:24:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  if we ever get the four-day work week how would you structure it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: if we ever get the four-day work week how would you structure it?  (Read 830 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »

the most obvious answer would be a 3-day weekend, with the addition of Friday, but this week has me thinking.  I get Wednesday off for Yom Kippur.  the Monday feels so much less daunting when you know you're but 36 hours away from a night off/full night's sleeping in.  thoughts?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:03:03 PM »

I'd much rather have Sat, Sun, Wed.  Only two, two day stretches during the work-week.  Definitely spaces everything out, and you don't get that Monday lag that would otherwise come with a three day weekend.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »

Work the fifth day.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »

One thing I've always liked about Thanksgiving at my job is not only do I get it off, but Thursday is the middle of my work week. Tues/Wed + Fri/Sat is pretty easy to swallow. In fact if possible I'd probably take working 10 hours on those days with Thursday off over what I have now.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »

Middle of the work week, yes. Unless my job also gave me vacation days or whatev- then I'd prefer "three on, one off, one on, two off" so I could use a single vacation day to take a four day weekend!
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »

Work Monday through Thursday, 10 hour days. Still adds up to 40 hours per week.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:17:10 PM »

Quit entirely, go on the dole.

No, seriously I almost always have a 3 or 4 day week as it is, but it can be variable depending on semester.. everything from having Friday through Monday off (four day weekend),to having two weekends (Sat-Sun and Tues-Wed).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »

Work Monday through Thursday, 10 hour days. Still adds up to 40 hours per week.

hour-stacking sounds a lot better on paper than it plays in real life.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »

It really depends where you're at in life. As a twenty-something, having Wednesday off would suck because it would just be the equivalent of a do-nothing Sunday. We had that on 4th of July this year...Going to work the day after on three of hours of sleep was brutal. Friday-Sunday makes way more sense for weekend trips, music festivals, etc.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »

Over the years I've had various schedules. I find that longer work days and a long consecutive-day break fits best. I'm often doing prep or follow-up work on nominal days off, so having a bigger block makes it more likely I'll take time for myself.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2012, 08:20:22 PM by angus »

the most obvious answer would be a 3-day weekend, with the addition of Friday, but this week has me thinking.  I get Wednesday off for Yom Kippur.  the Monday feels so much less daunting when you know you're but 36 hours away from a night off/full night's sleeping in.  thoughts?

9/80 and 4/40 is pretty common in some businesses.  I had a 9/80 situation for a while.  You can't do it all the time in every industry.  Folks like to be able to make commerce Mondays through Fridays from about 9ish to about 5ish.  

I like time off, but I like being able to do things and go places and buy stuff when I'm off.  If you've ever been to an amusement park on a weekend you see that it's quite the conundrum.

There are also jobs where you do six months on and six months off.  I've met truckers who do this, and oil drilling rig workers.  That'd definitely be my preference in such an industry.  Work hard for six months, get paid for twelve.

Anyway, I'd prefer the three-day weekend, given the choice between Wed/Sat/Sun and Fri/Sat/Sun, mostly for the reasons muon has stated.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »

There are also jobs where you do six months on and six months off.  I've met truckers who do this, and oil drilling rig workers.  That'd definitely be my preference in such an industry.  Work hard for six months, get paid for twelve.

Yes you meet quite a lot of oil and gas or mining types in Thailand on their six months off (though probably more do three on and three off).  They work mainly in Australia, Papua New Guinea, and in various offshore-platforms and a few from the Middle East. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

Yes you meet quite a lot of oil and gas or mining types in Thailand on their six months off (though probably more do three on and three off).  They work mainly in Australia, Papua New Guinea, and in various offshore-platforms and a few from the Middle East. 

yeah, I always meet them if off-the-wall places.  In Guatemala I once met a guy from Massachusetts who does six months on and six off.  He was a trucker.  In Peru, I met a guy from Oregon who does three on and three off.  He was on an oil rig.  It seems like a sweet deal, to be honest. 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »

I'd much rather have Sat, Sun, Wed.  Only two, two day stretches during the work-week.  Definitely spaces everything out, and you don't get that Monday lag that would otherwise come with a three day weekend.

Yeah, I love when a public holiday falls on a Wednesday for this exact reason. I always feel reluctant heading into work following a long weekend.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »

I would prefer the Saturday/Sunday/Wednesday off days.  When I worked the 4/10 schedule at Dell and had Wednesday-Friday off, getting up to go to work at 6:00 on Saturday was tough, not to mention it was... well... a Saturday.  It should be illegal to be forced get up before 7:30 on a Saturday and here I was waking up at 4:00.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »

yeah, I always meet them if off-the-wall places.  In Guatemala I once met a guy from Massachusetts who does six months on and six off.  He was a trucker.  In Peru, I met a guy from Oregon who does three on and three off.  He was on an oil rig.  It seems like a sweet deal, to be honest. 

You don't really see them in 'off the wall' places, you see them in precisely the places where you would expect to see horny guys with lots of cash - sex tourism places.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies