GER-Infratest dimap/ARD: Germany's 140 EV solidly in the Obama column
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:50:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  GER-Infratest dimap/ARD: Germany's 140 EV solidly in the Obama column
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: GER-Infratest dimap/ARD: Germany's 140 EV solidly in the Obama column  (Read 5514 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 07:24:12 AM »

So you think it comes down exclusively to Obama as a person? Other Democrats would not be leading by similar margins simply because the Republican Party is far outside the European political mainstream?

His insane majority in Italy is because of his personality, yes. Other Democrats would lead, for sure, but not by as wide of a margin but that's not the point. The point is that his lead in Italy isn't based on handwringing. Try telling someone with a straight face that that isn't the reason why Obama is doing so well in Germany.

Yay, sources!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/german-american-relations-after-the-poll-next-president-will-demand-more-from-europe-a-533449.html

Obama would have only led Clinton by 6 in the Democratic primary. I don't exactly call that an overwhelming personality cult.

Well, first of all, your math is off. 43-39 = 4, not 6. Secondly, I wasn't calling it a personality cult; I said it was handwringing. Lastly, one of the commentators states that he, like "most Germans," is swinging between Obama and Hillary so this poll doesn't prove much.  Wink
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »

You know, maybe I'm just dumb, but I honestly don't understand what Keystone Phil is trying to say here. I even looked up the term "handwringing" in a dictionary, but it didn't help. Can someone help me comprehend what he's getting at??
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

So you think it comes down exclusively to Obama as a person? Other Democrats would not be leading by similar margins simply because the Republican Party is far outside the European political mainstream?

His insane majority in Italy is because of his personality, yes. Other Democrats would lead, for sure, but not by as wide of a margin but that's not the point. The point is that his lead in Italy isn't based on handwringing. Try telling someone with a straight face that that isn't the reason why Obama is doing so well in Germany.

Yay, sources!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/german-american-relations-after-the-poll-next-president-will-demand-more-from-europe-a-533449.html

Obama would have only led Clinton by 6 in the Democratic primary. I don't exactly call that an overwhelming personality cult.

Well, first of all, your math is off. 43-39 = 4, not 6.

Reading, not math. Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Doesn't that just reinforce the message of the poll?

You know, maybe I'm just dumb, but I honestly don't understand what Keystone Phil is trying to say here. I even looked up the term "handwringing" in a dictionary, but it didn't help. Can someone help me comprehend what he's getting at??

I think the point is that Germans are worried about a Romney win... Which would be a perfectly good reason to vote for Obama.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:31 AM »

He's getting at supposed "guilt" as the reason for supporting the black man. Phil is convinced this dominates Germans' everyday lives in every way.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »

I think the point is that Germans are worried about a Romney win... Which would be a perfectly good reason to vote for Obama.

...no.

And you guys don't know what handwringing means? Come on. Knock it off.

He's getting at supposed "guilt" as the reason for supporting the black man. Phil is convinced this dominates Germans' everyday lives in every way.

Maybe it doesn't dominate but you know as well as I do that it has its place.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »

...no.

And you guys don't know what handwringing means? Come on. Knock it off.

I've seriously never heard that term before.

Maybe it doesn't dominate but you know as well as I do that it has its place.

No.
No, it doesn't. I hate to use the "I live here" card, but I think I would have a better gauge on that than you.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »

I hate to use the "I live here" card, but I think I would have a better gauge on that than you.

Yeah. Hey, did you ever ask a racist if he or she is racist?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 01:48:13 PM »

I hate to use the "I live here" card, but I think I would have a better gauge on that than you.

That has nothing to do with it. I didn't go around asking people why they support Obama. From normal political conversations that never even mentioned the topic directly, I can say that -- shocker -- politically aware Germans support Obama because of his policies.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »

You're never going to convince Phil of anything.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »

That has nothing to do with it. I didn't go around asking people why they support Obama. From normal political conversations that never even mentioned the topic directly, I can say that -- shocker -- politically aware Germans support Obama because of his policies.

...and that has nothing to do with my point that you, as a German, have as much authority saying Germans aren't hand wringers as racists do when they say they aren't racist.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »

...and that has nothing to do with my point that you, as a German, have as much authority saying Germans aren't hand wringers as racists do when they say they aren't racist.

Or an ignorant not accepting he's ignorant, in your case.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 05:16:10 AM »

Um, okay...?

"Italians are all mafiosos."
You can't deny it because you're Italian yourself.
Tidus
Rookie
Germany
Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -1.00

P
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with the topic and the fact that nearly 90% of Germans would vote for Obama - neither has racism to do with it... (in fact 80-90% of the Germans are just boring white people, no blacks, no hispanics or whatever - maybe just 5% immigrants for Turkey or other countries).

Itīs just that the political views of German conservatives (and a lot of other conservative parties in modern democracies) are much closer to the democrats than the republicans.

And again: These conservative, white german voters wouldnīt vote for Obama because of his personality over his political, moral und social views. German conservatives are supportive of gay rights (because gays in a permanent relationship do live christian and conservative values like loyalty), minimum wage and minimizing CO2 emission for preventing climate change. But the CDU is a modern conservative party - unlike the republicans.

And I would add that in my opinion in a race between a random democrat and a random republican, Germans would also break with around 90% for the Democrats. But we will probably see if this is true in about 4 years when we will have a new race with new persons.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »

Foreigners tend to give very whacky answers on political polls regarding other foreign countries. It's a very different experience, foreign politics and domestic politics. GOPers never do well in them, but Democrats tend to dominate expat communities, so I'm not particularly surprised. At least from what I've experienced, European immigrants in the USA seem to actually be somewhat more right-wing than the average American (or about where the average White American is).

Of course, I've seen this phenomenon not just in America. Americans in East Asian countries have a tendency of backing batsh**t insane parties out of lack of information/lack of understanding of the country.
Russian immigrants that still speak Russian(post 1992) used to be 70% Democratic(before Obama).

What is this claim based on? I doubt there's ever been a poll of that sort. Nor does it really fit w/ my own experience talking to those folks (1992, actually, happens to be the first US electionI was present in the US for).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »

Purple heart

You know it all, Franzl. And, hey, you're a centrist! You're right down the middle! You get it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »

Purple heart

You know it all, Franzl. And, hey, you're a centrist! You're right down the middle! You get it.

Do you really want to accuse someone else of "knowing it all", Phil?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »

Do you really want to accuse someone else of "knowing it all", Phil?

"Combative," sure. I view it more as "vocally principled." But a know it all? No.
timothyinMD

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

File this under "who give a damn".   Europe is a destroyed continent.  Why do we care a damn what they think
Tidus
Rookie
Germany
Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -1.00

P
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »

File this under "who give a damn".   Europe is a destroyed continent.  Why do we care a damn what they think

In fact Europe is still the richest continent in the world.

And the problems there are at least partly due to the US made finacial meltdown (thanks Mr. W. Bush)...

But Europe is not that homogeneous - and we are talking here just about Germany... and Germany nowadays is in a very good shape.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »

Is FOX your primary "news" source?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2012, 05:33:49 AM »

...and sentiments like this are a large part of why the result is as it is.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies