How much influence did Al Haig exert during '73 to '74?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:47:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How much influence did Al Haig exert during '73 to '74?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much influence did Al Haig exert during '73 to '74?  (Read 1055 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »

I've read, variously, that Al Haig was either the de facto President of the US after he became Chief of Staff in May 1973...Or alternatively that he simply aided Nixon rather than trying to dethrone him or secretly run the government; that Nixon, while weak, was still in power until July 1974.

Who was making the decisions in that May '73 to August '74 period? Who was running the government?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »

I've read, variously, that Al Haig was either the de facto President of the US after he became Chief of Staff in May 1973...Or alternatively that he simply aided Nixon rather than trying to dethrone him or secretly run the government; that Nixon, while weak, was still in power until July 1974.

Who was making the decisions in that May '73 to August '74 period? Who was running the government?

Nixon was basically focusing on Watergate and effectively ceded government to Haig.  I know at one point, Haig asked the Pentagon not to follow any direct orders not confirmed (as did the Secretary of Defense).  There were worries that Nixon would either attempt a coup, or launch a nuclear strike.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:32:27 AM »

He was in charge.
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:58 AM »

But wouldn't most decisions still have been made by Nixon? I would think for example Nixon would stll have been in control of his economic and foreign policy...Haig being only in control of the day to day running of business, not the decision maker. And wouldn't it have been only toward the very end--the spring and summer of 1974? I mean I doubt Haig had power from day one as Chief of Staff in '73.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »

I see what you did there...
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:44:43 PM »

But wouldn't most decisions still have been made by Nixon? I would think for example Nixon would stll have been in control of his economic and foreign policy...Haig being only in control of the day to day running of business, not the decision maker. And wouldn't it have been only toward the very end--the spring and summer of 1974? I mean I doubt Haig had power from day one as Chief of Staff in '73.

Bump on this.
When people say he was in charge, that Nixon ceded government to him, what do they mean? Policies? Wouldn't Nixon still have been in charge in terms of economic, domestic, and foreign policis (for example, say Nixon decided to help Israel in late 1973--that would be his decision and not Haigs) Simple daily governance, simply operation of the Executive Branch? What exactly?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies