Angus Reid: Canadians and Britons strongly believe in evolution, Americans not (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:12:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Angus Reid: Canadians and Britons strongly believe in evolution, Americans not (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Angus Reid: Canadians and Britons strongly believe in evolution, Americans not  (Read 7931 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: September 07, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »

There is something horribly wrong with an education system which leds people to think this, its the equivalent of 50% of americans coming out of maths thinking 2+2=5.
Not really. Failing to understand evolution is far less likely to inconvenience you personally or professionally. From a purely utilitarian perspective understanding evolution is of little significance outside of a few professions.

But the point is, it's a scientific fact and the fact that a majority of Americans don't believe it is troubling.

"Fact" is a bit strong.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:01:29 AM »

No, it isn't. Evolution is supported by mountains of evidence and is one of the strongest ideas science has ever produced.

Regardless, it's not a scientific fact.  Anyone with a background in the sciences would agree.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »

Dibble, the people you cited calling evolution a "fact" are almost as guilty as the creationists with the "it's just a theory" argument.  The true scientific fact is a very rare, thing, and evolution has not been verified to the extent that it can truly be called a "fact".
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:43:09 AM »

Dibble, the people you cited calling evolution a "fact" are almost as guilty as the creationists with the "it's just a theory" argument.  The true scientific fact is a very rare, thing, and evolution has not been verified to the extent that it can truly be called a "fact".

Given that evolution has been observed in populations of bacteria and the theory has provided satisfactory explanations for just about every imaginable special variation, I'd love to know what you consider to be a scientific "fact".

Microevolution has been observed, which yes, I would agree (and always have agreed) is a fact... an observable, verifiable fact.  And it's a fact that many people are ignorant of, but I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong), the premise of the study is mainly that of people's views on macroevolution, which I still contend has not undergone the extremely high scrutiny to be labelled a scientific fact.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »

No, it isn't. Evolution is supported by mountains of evidence and is one of the strongest ideas science has ever produced.

Regardless, it's not a scientific fact.  Anyone with a background in the sciences would agree.

Agreed.  Looks like some people are going to have to go back to Junior high school and relearn the difference between a theory and a fact.  In science it has a specific meaning.  I don't know about in church.

No.... that's not what I said either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies