Angus Reid: Canadians and Britons strongly believe in evolution, Americans not (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:50:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Angus Reid: Canadians and Britons strongly believe in evolution, Americans not (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Angus Reid: Canadians and Britons strongly believe in evolution, Americans not  (Read 7945 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: September 07, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »

In Britain, respondents in the South of England (15%) are the least likely to believe in creationism, compared to 23 per cent for Londoners.

Interesting.

Easy to explain:

London has many immigrants from a lot of "backwards" countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh etc., which still tend to be rather poor, uneducated, religious and socially conservative relative to the home-born British population.

I've been working on something the past week. I was looking at trends in support for gay rights in the British Social Attitudes Survey. The most positive/progressive part of the UK from the 80's through to the early 2000's was London. Now London has flat lined over the surveys from 2005-2010 and now trails most parts of the country. Sub-sample stuff of course but interesting.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »

It is a pity there isn't a breakdown by faith. Would I be correct in asserting that Catholics believe in the theory of evolution, but Protestants (particularly of the evangelical variety) emphatically do not? 

It's probably the other way around in the UK.

Given that the position of the Catholic Church is in support of the general principles behind evolution and against young earth creationism I don't think that is the case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies