The Orgin of Human Life Poll, split by nationality (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:38:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Orgin of Human Life Poll, split by nationality (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these do you believe?
Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years (American)

Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years (Non-American)

God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years (American)

God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years (Non-American)

Neither of the two (American)

Neither of the two (Non-American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: The Orgin of Human Life Poll, split by nationality  (Read 4584 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: September 13, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »

Is it 100,000 years or 10,000 years?  I guess I've heard the question posed both ways. There are quite a few young earth creationists who believe it's been only 6 or 7 thousand years - but many others that allow for both those cave paintings made tens of thousands of years ago and also believe in Adam and Eve.
I'll vote neither, as I think there may be a great deal of truth in both ideas: that humans have evolved and that they have been in some sense specially created by God.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »

Either way I sound like a moron and you sound like a fundie. No wonder Mikado left the atheism "faith".

Let's put it another way. Is the truth 'fundamentalist'? Should evolutionary science, genetics, biology, geology, archaeology, history and IIRC about 100-200 branches of science that support evolution and the age of the earth be thrown under a bus to satisfysome Christians who choose not to engage their brain when trying to reconcile our understanding of the world with their faith?

Whether or not they believe in evolution isn't the same as this. There are Christians that engage their brain a certain way and believe they can reconcile it by questioning the science behind evolution. There are others who just say "because the Bible told me so."  There are Christians that try to understand how their faith can make room for evolution. And then there are others who believe in evolution and don't think deeply about how to reconcile it with their faith. And still others who don't know if evolution is true and don't care.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »

Either way I sound like a moron and you sound like a fundie. No wonder Mikado left the atheism "faith".

Let's put it another way. Is the truth 'fundamentalist'? Should evolutionary science, genetics, biology, geology, archaeology, history and IIRC about 100-200 branches of science that support evolution and the age of the earth be thrown under a bus to satisfysome Christians who choose not to engage their brain when trying to reconcile our understanding of the world with their faith?

Whether or not they believe in evolution isn't the same as this. There are Christians that engage their brain a certain way and believe they can reconcile it by questioning the science behind evolution. There are others who just say "because the Bible told me so."  There are Christians that try to understand how their faith can make room for evolution. And then there are others who believe in evolution and don't think deeply about how to reconcile it with their faith. And still others who don't know if evolution is true and don't care.

That's essentially what I said. There are Christians who can reconcile every new understanding of the world with their faith and there are those who try to think around the issues because they choose not to. Therefore we have a number of Christians who invent their own 'science' - evolution isn't real, global warming isn't real, gays can 'change', women aren't 'legitimately raped', studies say this, studies say that. This extends into the social sciences too resulting in the contorting of history and archaeology to suit their means.

Essentially if there is a god and human beings reveal more and more about the world, then these Christians are collectively saying 'f-ck you' to their own gods creation.

I thought you said though they are not engaging their brains. By "thinking around the issues", they are engaging their brains.  If may be nonsense, but it requires a great deal of creativity.

Are you saying that global warming skepticism is an extension of Christian fundamentalism?  I think any correlation there has to do with the effects of political coalitions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies