Pennsylvania Republican Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Pennsylvania Republican Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you be a Pennsylvania Republican?
Ensuring that Americans remain safe, terrorists are defeated, and democracy flourishes in the world

Expanding opportunities for ownership and investment

Making tax relief permanent and ensuring greater energy independence

Increasing the affordability and accessibility of health care

Protecting the sanctity of marriage and the rights of the unborn

Preparing students for success in life by bringing the benefits of education reform to high schools

Helping workers adjust to a changing economy by offering flexible training options that meet their individual needs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Republican Party  (Read 737 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »

Inspired by Cathcon's recent posts about me. 

This is from the website from the Republican Party of Pennsylvania, in the "Party Principles" page.  It says, "As Republicans, we believe in…" then it goes on to list these seven items.  For more information, you can read the party's platform, but this is a concise statement of the party's values. 

Which of the seven do you agree with?  You may select up to seven options.  You may change your vote.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »

6/7 for me. Could have clicked on "rights of the unborn," but they had that pesky "sanctity of marriage" thrown in there.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:16 AM »

Wow, 5 out of 7.

Maybe I am actually a bit more partisan than one would think.  Though admittedly, I have kind of mixed emotions on the bit about "tax relief and energy independence", given that I probably have a different idea of both than the mainstream PA Republican probably does.

Hell, you could probably say the same of all the other choices I chose.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »

Same here, but on some of them I'm not entirely sold.  This is how I voted:

yes:    Ensuring that Americans remain safe, terrorists are defeated, and democracy flourishes in the world (I agree with the first two points, but I'm leary of neoconservatism.  I'm not sure I want to commit blood and money to flourishing democracy in the world.)

yes:    Expanding opportunities for ownership and investment (this is always a good idea.  the devil is in the details.)

no:    Making tax relief permanent and ensuring greater energy independence (I do think we should strive for greater energy independence, and I don't want to see my taxes increase, but I'm not sure I like the current structure.  Also, I don't think we can laugh in the face of the national debt any longer.)

yes:    Increasing the affordability and accessibility of health care (always a good idea, but like the entrepreneurship question, the devil is in the details.)

no:    Protecting the sanctity of marriage and the rights of the unborn (I think this sanctity of marriage idea reeks of bigotry.  I just cannot support it.  As for the unborn, that's a thorny moral issue that I don't want to get into.  My vote is not usually affected one way or the other by a candidate's position on abortion, but I understand that many voters are swayed in this issue.)

yes:    Preparing students for success in life by bringing the benefits of education reform to high schools (education reform is sorely needed.)

yes:    Helping workers adjust to a changing economy by offering flexible training options that meet their individual needs (see above.)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »

6/7 for me. Could have clicked on "rights of the unborn," but they had that pesky "sanctity of marriage" thrown in there.

This basically.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

You can tell these are meaningless platitudes because I agreed with the exact same ones as MorningInAmerica.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »

Same here, but on some of them I'm not entirely sold.  This is how I voted:

yes:    Ensuring that Americans remain safe, terrorists are defeated, and democracy flourishes in the world (I agree with the first two points, but I'm leary of neoconservatism.  I'm not sure I want to commit blood and money to flourishing democracy in the world.)

yes:    Expanding opportunities for ownership and investment (this is always a good idea.  the devil is in the details.)

no:    Making tax relief permanent and ensuring greater energy independence (I do think we should strive for greater energy independence, and I don't want to see my taxes increase, but I'm not sure I like the current structure.  Also, I don't think we can laugh in the face of the national debt any longer.)

yes:    Increasing the affordability and accessibility of health care (always a good idea, but like the entrepreneurship question, the devil is in the details.)

no:    Protecting the sanctity of marriage and the rights of the unborn (I think this sanctity of marriage idea reeks of bigotry.  I just cannot support it.  As for the unborn, that's a thorny moral issue that I don't want to get into.  My vote is not usually affected one way or the other by a candidate's position on abortion, but I understand that many voters are swayed in this issue.)

yes:    Preparing students for success in life by bringing the benefits of education reform to high schools (education reform is sorely needed.)

yes:    Helping workers adjust to a changing economy by offering flexible training options that meet their individual needs (see above.)

Switch point one and point three and you get my answers.

But yes, this pretty much what I got out of it.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »

You can tell these are meaningless platitudes because I agreed with the exact same ones as MorningInAmerica.

This. Who believes in making healthcare more expensive and less accessible for people? *Insert partisan joke here*
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »

3.5/7.
1: We're neocons. No.
2: Reduce regulations. Yes.
3: Cut taxes, drill more. Yes and no.
4: Affordable/accessible health care. Yes.
5: Typical socon crap. No.
6: Reform education. No (I support education reform, but probably not the kind these guys have in mind.
7: Flexible training options. Yes.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

Very politically adept, it makes things like pumping chemicals into drinking water or funneling money towards the wealthy sound good for all of us.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

6: Reform education. No (I support education reform, but probably not the kind these guys have in mind.

Well, I was just going by the actual words. Otherwise it'd be 0/7 for me.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »

i agree with some of these. i also like puppies and think mean people suck.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »

Do you like apple pie?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »

Do you like apple pie?
yes but only if its wrapped in the american flag with a baseball on top
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »

Do you like apple pie?
yes but only if its wrapped in the american flag with a baseball on top

Alright, that's good. Just make sure you say the Pledge of Allegiance before consuming it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »

I put yes on only one because its all depends.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »

6/7, I agree with all of the points except the fifth one.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »

7/7.

Marriage is sacred, or at least religious marriage, just because gays can get married too doesn't mean it's not sacred.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »

5/7

the PAGOP is pretty establishment, though. Phil could explain this better than I could, but basically the party doesn't take real kindly to Tea Party types, especially if they're spunky newcomers. This is just from what I've heard, however.

cue Phil though.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »

7/7.

Marriage is sacred, or at least religious marriage, just because gays can get married too doesn't mean it's not sacred.

No doubt, the institution of marriage is rooted deeply in religion.  Marriage is a sacrament, if you're a Catholic, and for Jews, it is actually a contract commanded by God and in which God is directly involved.  Hindus actually see it as a sacred duty.  But to protect the sanctity?  Since when did God, or any of the sacred institutions he created, need the protection of the United States government?  

If we're going to have state-sanctioned marriage, for the purpose of economic benefits such as life insurance policies, etc., then we cannot confuse the state's marriage with a religious concept.  Either the state needs to get out the marriage business entirely, and leave it as a religious concept, or it needs to extend it equally to all.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »

7/7.

No doubt, the institution of marriage is rooted deeply in religion.  Marriage is a sacrament, if you're a Catholic, and for Jews, it is actually a contract commanded by God and in which God is directly involved.  Hindus actually see it as a sacred duty.  But to protect the sanctity?  Since when did God, or any of the sacred institutions he created, need the protection of the United States government?   

If we're going to have state-sanctioned marriage, for the purpose of economic benefits such as life insurance policies, etc., then we cannot confuse the state's marriage with a religious concept.  Either the state needs to get out the marriage business entirely, and leave it as a religious concept, or it needs to extend it equally to all.

I wrote essentially the same thing back in April:

-in support of gay marriage.

I have given the issue a fair degree of thought, and I think it can be boiled down to this: civil and religious/cultural marriage are two separate- similar and sharing a name, but still separate- things. Being separate, gay civil marriage is something that does not infringe upon the rights of the religious institutions, nor does it impose any unwanted action upon them. In no mainstream religion is a civil marriage held to be a sacrament or sacred union, and so is beyond their purview.

As a country predicated on the principles of equality and the right to the equal enjoyment of liberties, the lack of the right of gay people to be married civilly runs counter to those principles. In a time where a farce is made of the institutions of marriage, both religious and civil, it seems disingenuous to deny men and women, many of whom have been partners for decades, the right to legally enshrine their partnership and encourage its perpetual continuation. In that vein, it also seems counterproductive for those people to be denied to raise children in a stable and loving environment.

My primary concern is that the state shall eventually oblige religious institutions to marry gay couples. I continue to believe that religious marriage is meant to be between one man and one woman and thus gay religious marriages would not be looked upon favorably in the eyes of God. This is unlikely to change, and so are the positions of religious institutions. Great care should be taken to prevent such things from ever coming to pass. Otherwise, gay marriage initiatives have my full support.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »

Given what most of these empty platitudes actually mean in the case of our godawful legislature and governor, 0/7.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »

7 out of 7.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:44 AM »

Yay! We agree on something!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »

2, 4, 6, and 7 all sound good, but I don't like what they would entail if Republicans implemented those policies.  I almost voted for 3, but I don't get why they included tax reform and energy independence in the same plank.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies