Firmly planting the flag of liberty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:26:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Firmly planting the flag of liberty
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Firmly planting the flag of liberty  (Read 1373 times)
skybridge
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:43:04 PM »

"As I said in my speech, not every nation is going to immediately adopt America's vision of democracy and I fully understand that. But we expect nations to adopt the values inherent in a democracy, which is human rights and human dignity, that every person ought to have a voice. And his majesty is making progress toward that goal." -George W. Bush 1/26/05

Does this kind of thinking make the world a better or worse place?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 05:16:59 PM »

Worse because of the inherent hypocrisy, arrogance, and threat of aggression.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »

"As I said in my speech, not every nation is going to immediately adopt America's vision of democracy and I fully understand that. But we expect nations to adopt the values inherent in a democracy, which is human rights and human dignity, that every person ought to have a voice. And his majesty is making progress toward that goal." -George W. Bush 1/26/05

Does this kind of thinking make the world a better or worse place?

1.  Who is he reffering to ("his majesty")?
2.  Yes, respect for rights and a general democratization is good.
Trilobyte

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 07:21:57 PM »

There is nothing wrong with wanting to spread democracy. There is a problem when you alienate the world and damage America's credibility in the procress.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 08:18:44 PM »

There is nothing wrong with wanting to spread democracy. There is a problem when you alienate the world and damage America's credibility in the procress.

Agreed.  America is becoming imperialistic like hasn't been seen in many years - forcing democracy on those who may not want it.  See, democracy is rule by consent of the people.  If we're forcing democracy on people, then it isn't democracy, is it?  It's naught but hypocrisy and ignorance.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 10:41:54 PM »

Who is he reffering to ("his majesty")?

IIRC, the quote is from today's press conference and the His Majesty in this case is His Hashemite Majesty, King Abullah II Ibn Al Hussein.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 10:43:58 PM »

Agreed.  America is becoming imperialistic like hasn't been seen in many years - forcing democracy on those who may not want it.  See, democracy is rule by consent of the people.  If we're forcing democracy on people, then it isn't democracy, is it?  It's naught but hypocrisy and ignorance.

While you do have a point, it's also true that many dictators are forcing something substantially worse than democracy on the people, however.  It's not exactly as if they can just get up and decide to have a democracy.

I'm not arguing in favor of this position, though.  I'm mostly on the fence.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 10:46:18 PM »

While you do have a point, it's also true that many dictators are forcing something substantially worse than democracy on the people, however.  It's not exactly as if they can just get up and decide to have a democracy.

I'm not arguing in favor of this position, though.  I'm mostly on the fence.

Yeah, its a tricky issue.  Not sure what I support exactly, I just have all my imperialism arguments fresh from Midterm studying for History class Smiley  Between the two papers I wrote about it, I think I managed to argue both sides of the issue, although it wasn't about modern imperialism.
skybridge
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 05:45:53 AM »

Democracy, human rights and their derivatives apparently established themselves as the most virtuous of values. However, the fact that Bush speaks of "America's vision of democracy" leaves room for a lot speculation that this definition of democracy may come closer to preserving economic and political interest by adpoting imperalist measures to a degree. Bush "expect nations to adopt the values inherent in a democracy" could be interpreted as a threat to tyranny as well as call to preserve capitalism. As far as ancient times, democracy was considered the rule of the have-nots which might make it seem curious that there have been no independent pushes in these outposts of tyranny. A number of aspects of democracy itself deserve criticism, but that constitutes another debate. I just wanted to introduce some more arguments.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies