How's that stimulus working?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:08:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  How's that stimulus working?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How's that stimulus working?  (Read 967 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

The American Enterprise Institute has a nice chart comparing what the actual unemployment rate (adjusted) has been versus what the Obama administration said it would be if his so called “stimulus plan” was not passed, and what the Obama administration predicted it would be if passed.

Not surprisingly, the actual unemployment rate has been higher than the Obama administration predicted would have been the case if Congress had NOT passed the do-called “stimulus plan.”

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/09/a-big-and-updated-version-of-the-biggest-most-important-chart-in-american-politics/romerbernsteinaugust-2/
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »

Are you the troll guy Carl who only posts bad economic numbers?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »

Seems as though it worked perfectly. Banks stayed massively and impenetrably wealthy while the rest of us...well, who cares anyway, it wasn't really about us.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2012, 07:45:15 PM by Beet »

Seems as though it worked perfectly. Banks stayed massively and impenetrably wealthy while the rest of us...well, who cares anyway, it wasn't really about us.

The 'rest of us' would have suffered the most from a collapse of the financial sector. During depressions, the most vulnerable, needy and poorest always suffer the most. Children top the list, as lack of proper nutrition during their formative years can affect them for life. For all of Bush's faults, at least he got that one right. He was a horrible President, but not insane. We don't need the bankers, but we need banks, for the functions they perform. Bankers, on the other hand, are well off regardless. So what if their net worth drops from $100 million to $10 million? They're still rich enough to fly to Dubai...

Edit- As for the chart, see here.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

You don't think that the collapse of our entire banking sector wouldn't have impacted that average American?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »

I'm not saying that at all. It certainly didn't help us like the government assured us it would, but that's because it really wasn't meant to benefit us. Sure, it may have stopped us from plunging into economic anarchy. That's a nice byproduct I guess. It just went far and away beyond what it needed to be in order for the economy to survive and thus left a massive void in the area of bailing out the rest of us. And with little to no controls. Because the purpose wasn't to help the "rest of us". We needed a bank bailout, but not a full-blown bank reinflation that strangles out the rest of the economy. That's all I meant.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »

the 'banking sector' is going to collapse again, and again, and again, it's built-in to the logic.  we can pick up and do banking for ourselves at any of these points.  so why wait?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »

Well, I completely agree that since the banks got help, it makes it all the more justified that the rest of us should get more than we've gotten.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »

it's a question of what you burn.. favorable moderation here so I'll go... was a late August day, very late August 2010.  very late August, must have been 28th of so.. and the sun was beating, and I received the call within the library, and caught up with her.  and walked over to the sandwich shop, and bought a coffee, and she claimed to be out of cash and they didn't take card so I begrudgingly bought her a $1.75 coffee.  and we talked.  I had been burned the day before working at the dining hall.  steamer for the rice.  made me look like in Rudolph.  made my nose all red.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »

we talked, and what do I remember?  I remember she wore this unimpessive cotton powder blue t-shirt-and-short-shorts.. and we talked, and it became TOPICAL!  the ultimate distinction to make on  a first date is whether or not the conversation becomes TOPICAL.  whether you just hop from "oh yeah, my dad's grass is green" to "my brother was diagnosed at age 8 and has been taking 9 Rx drugs since" OR you FOLLOW on "yeah those carpenter ants really fcked up my freshman year when I was a pothead" and talk about it for ten minutes.

BUT the DISASTER of it all is the fact that the CARPENTER ANTS can still exists, be your topic, hold it for a half hour, and that's it!  it's the one and only date!  to be buried with everything else that 2010 buried, don't get me started...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »

the 'banking sector' is going to collapse again, and again, and again, it's built-in to the logic.  we can pick up and do banking for ourselves at any of these points.  so why wait?

I'm not even going to bother to address why this isn't necessarily true but it isn't and I don't have much free time anymore. Beet, you should handle this one!
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:52:38 PM »

I'm not even going to bother to address why this isn't necessarily true but it isn't and I don't have much free time anymore. Beet, you should handle this one!

How Is that not entirely true? Look at the history of policy regarding the financial industry over the last 30 years. Since radical deregulation took hold and it all snowballed, the financial industry has been increasingly unstable. The money they're whimsically gambling doesn't even exist anymore. It's unacceptably volatile and only getting worse.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »

How Is that not entirely true? Look at the history of policy regarding the financial industry over the last 30 years. Since radical deregulation took hold and it all snowballed, the financial industry has been increasingly unstable. The money they're whimsically gambling doesn't even exist anymore. It's unacceptably volatile and only getting worse.

My point was going to be that if the deregulation didn't happen that the financial industry wouldn't be unstable and we wouldn't have experienced the crash of 2008. Banking does not have to be an unstable sector of our economy if we tightly regulate it by cordoning off investment banking from more traditional forms of banking.

My problem with the bailouts isn't about the price-tag. It's the fact that a whole entire industry that is responsible for our economy blowing up is essentially being allowed to continue as usual with the same culprits steering the wheel. Four years later and if the President tried to present a modest confiscatory tax to the public on certain entities, he would be crucified by the press. This country depresses me.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »

I think Fezzy is confusing the stimulus (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) with the bank bailout (TARP).
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »

I think Fezzy is confusing the stimulus (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) with the bank bailout (TARP).

Have you read the New New Deal?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies