A plea to the Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:45:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A plea to the Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A plea to the Constitutional Convention  (Read 781 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2005, 07:29:28 PM »
« edited: January 25, 2005, 07:37:57 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

The recent situation with Senator Statesrights has brought up a new flaw in the old Constitution.  That is, the "A" Senators are always up for re-election at the same time as the President.  This puts them at a disadvantage.

I propose new term lengths be instituted to allow for staggering of elections, such as perhaps a 3 month term for Presidents.  Another option is to split the Senate seats up into three classes, like the US Senate.

I hope all the delegates take my request into consideration.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 08:05:35 PM »

The recent situation with Senator Statesrights has brought up a new flaw in the old Constitution.  That is, the "A" Senators are always up for re-election at the same time as the President.  This puts them at a disadvantage.

I propose new term lengths be instituted to allow for staggering of elections, such as perhaps a 3 month term for Presidents.  Another option is to split the Senate seats up into three classes, like the US Senate.

Splitting up senators into 3 classes would probably require going off 2 senators / 5 districts. One possibility: 3 senators/4 districts, for ABC seats. Another: 2 Senators, 6 districts. Both increase the number of Senators to 12.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:33:13 PM »

Through whatever means necessary, I agree with your sentiments here and think it would be a good idea to stagger the Senate seats out so that one senator is not running with the President every time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 10:20:22 AM »

A seat Senators are not at a disadvantage because there is no rule and no reasonable argument to stop them from running for both offices at once.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 11:18:51 AM »

A seat Senators are not at a disadvantage because there is no rule and no reasonable argument to stop them from running for both offices at once.

A)  Public opinion is against it

B)  It forces them to conduct two campaigns at once
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 11:25:55 AM »

a) Please, get real. 5 partisans with too much time on their hands do not constitute public opinion, not even here.
b) A better point...Although it's not as if it were really that problematic. It's not as if Atlasian presidential candidates were really travelling across the country or anything. Any thoughtful post, any activity in the Senate, any issue-related speech contributes to both campaigns at once.

On a remotely related note, I've always wondered that you aren't a delegate to the Constitutional Convention. Why is that?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 11:28:53 AM »

a) Please, get real. 5 partisans with too much time on their hands do not constitute public opinion, not even here.
b) A better point...Although it's not as if it were really that problematic. It's not as if Atlasian presidential candidates were really travelling across the country or anything. Any thoughtful post, any activity in the Senate, any issue-related speech contributes to both campaigns at once.

On a remotely related note, I've always wondered that you aren't a delegate to the Constitutional Convention. Why is that?

I didn't want to have three jobs at once (Chief Justice, Presidental Candidate, Constutional Delegate)  I trust that people like Peter Bell and Ernest will be able to do a proper job without me.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 11:34:38 AM »

I didn't want to have three jobs at once (Chief Justice, Presidental Candidate, Constutional Delegate)  I trust that people like Peter Bell and Ernest will be able to do a proper job without me.

MWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA

Cheesy
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 04:19:30 PM »

Cheesy

Do you really trust Peter? Cheesy
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »

Cheesy

Thats why you have to have Peter AND Ernest.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 04:52:50 PM »

Cheesy

Yeah Double the Trouble. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 09:43:15 PM »

Cheesy

Yeah Double the Trouble. Smiley

BWWWAAAHHH-AH-AH-AH!

(You need to work on your sinsiter laugh, Peter.   It should start explosively with a BWAH, and not mushily with a MWAH.  Once you have mastered that, then you can work on your Dexter laugh whilst eating an omelette de fromage.)
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 10:19:15 PM »

As one of the 5 senators who was elected during a presidential election cycle, I have no problem with the custom of not running for reelection if you're on a presidential ticket.  It may be tradition, but you don't neccessarily have to follow it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies