SENATE BILL: Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act (On the President's Desk) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:19:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act (On the President's Desk) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act (On the President's Desk)  (Read 10563 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: September 15, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »

This is far too strict for my liking. Frankly, I don't believe rights are there for something in a womb. This bill isn't fair. Do we really think women decide to wait until the 8th month to have an abortion "just 'cause"? At the very least there ought to be an exception for the health and well-being of the mother, but I still think the implications about a women's choice made by this bill are a little startling. 80% of abortions take place early because women don't want to carry something around for 30+ weeks before having their procedure done, for very, very obvious reasons.

Also, the penalty for doctors is extreme.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »

Well, the day "just about every objectionable thing" can be "every objectionable thing" is the day I will be satisfied.

This "distinction of life" mambo-jumbo is also concerning. Does my right to life expire if my mother is raped? Or, are we actually making the clear distinction between a born-being and a fetus that does not have rights?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »

Then I fail to see why some leftists in Atlasia are getting their knickers in a bunch.

Because we care about women even if they are stuck in a very rare and difficult situation?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:50:57 AM »

Oh come on, I figured someone would consider what I said atleast somewhat outrageous. Where is the life here, people? BEEF IT UP!!!

Considering that no one here is a medical professional,  its best we don't.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »

So, the idea is to make this bill even more restrictive? Um, that does seem like what is going here so correct me if I am wrong.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:32:09 PM »

I was referring to Ben's proposal.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »

It's a compromise, Mr. President. The penalties for performing an abortion have been reduced. On the other hand, a few of us believe that this bill gives women more than enough time to choose to get an abortion in the case of rape, incest, or anything else before the ban kicks in. As such, it is not unreasonable to afford more protection to the unborn at this stage in a pregnancy.

Okay, but I can't sign a bill that offers no protection to the health and well being of the mother, so that is where we should be looking to compromise. However, I also have to struggle with the idea of telling rape victims "sorry, you're too late". I know that the culture around here hasn't allowed for much female interaction, but women are real people and rape is a strongly emotional violation that many women have difficulty even talking about to get to the point of prosecution. A little bit of compassion is required- yeah, you will never be in this situation but ifyou can't even try to put yourself in someone else's shoes...compromise is not inherently good, you have to think about how people are actually affected. My job as President is to protect that.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »

Ben's amendment does offer protection to the health of the mother.

No, it doesn't.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »

There's a lot of health complications that aren't "life threatening" that a women need not endure, especially if that women was impregnated by rape.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:39 AM »

Maybe your side's "War on Women" crap has crossed into the game and made impossible for liberals to vote for any restrictions on abortion and remain in the clique. Tongue

We know who started the War on Women here and it wasn't the left...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »

Discussing the University bill earlier reminded me of something. There was a clause in that that stated "regions refusing to offer a location, wil lhave the money offered to other regions", or something like that. That bill had seven ayes, I wonder if any of them are amongst those making an issue of this "snooze you lose" clause on this amendment? Tongue 

The regions better get to work on that. Cheesy
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »

What's a severe birth defect?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »

I guess the 24 hours has elapsed. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »

I have vetoed this bill and put forth my own version.

Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act

Section 1: Restriction and Exception.

1. Abortion in the third trimester of a pregnancy, hereby defined as the 28th estimated week of gestation, shall not be performed in the Republic of Atlasia.

2. Restrictions on abortion shall not apply in the following circumstances:
a. The pregnancy threatening the life or health of the mother.
b. The pregnancy showing signs of severe birth defect.
              1. For the purposes of this text, a severe birth defect is defined as being an abnormality, which produces a likely chance that the child will be afflicted with immense pain, have a severely limited functioning capacity, or be at significant risk of an early death.

Section 2: Criminal Penalty.

1. Any individual who performs an abortion in the third trimester outside of the previously mentioned exceptions receives a one year ban from work as a medical professional.

Section 3: Funding for Safe-Sex Education and Contraceptive Services

1. $10,000,000 shall be appropriated to each region for the purpose of expanding safe-sex education programs and access to contraceptive services.
2. The Department of Internal Affairs shall be charged with designing a criteria of what consitutes a qualifying sex education program in each region.
3. The Department of Internal Affairs will be in charge of distributing all the said monies to each region.
4. Any region that fails to construct a qualifying program or expansion of services, will have their money witheld until the standards are met.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 02:09:16 AM »

Either way, it's a good thing the veto doesn't count.

Um, that's news to me.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I suggest reading this thread, when your mind is in its proper state.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies