Why exactly did Henry VIII preference the Grey line to the Stuarts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:48:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why exactly did Henry VIII preference the Grey line to the Stuarts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why exactly did Henry VIII preference the Grey line to the Stuarts?  (Read 494 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »

In Henry's VIII's much-maligned will, he specifies that if his three children should fail to produce any heirs, the succession would pass to his younger sister Mary, Queen consort of France, (or really her heirs, as she was dead by this point) over that of his elder sister Margaret, Queen consort of Scotland. Now, this as well as a few other things provoked the "Grey succession," as we all know, but I'm wondering why this was instituted in the first place? Was there really that much of a concern over a union of the English and Scottish crowns? I mean, I understand it wasn't exactly the most preferred situation, but it all seems rather odd.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »

Religion most likely.  At the time of Henry VIII's death I believe the Stuarts were still Catholic, whereas Mary Tudor's children by her second husband, the Duke of Suffolk, were all stunch Protestants.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »

Religion most likely.  At the time of Henry VIII's death I believe the Stuarts were still Catholic, whereas Mary Tudor's children by her second husband, the Duke of Suffolk, were all stunch Protestants.

That seems the most likely reason, and yes the two separates lines were both strongly divided by religion.  Thanks. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »

That seems the most likely reason, and yes the two separates lines were both strongly divided by religion.  Thanks. Smiley

Religion (along with the Duke of Northumberland's desire to stay in power) was the reason they tried to bypass Mary with the Grey line after Little Eddie's death. Didn't work well.

Interestingly Lady Catherine Grey, poor Jane's sister, was initially considered Mary's heir in place of Elizabeth, which didn't work too (although not so dramatic).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies