In your opinion is the economy doing well? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:18:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  In your opinion is the economy doing well? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In your opinion is the economy doing well?  (Read 1709 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've not heard a single Democrat mention workforce participation levels have dropped to 1983 levels, before the massive boom of the 90s. This means more single worker families, where one parent stays at home.

Is this really what you folks want? I mean if we want to go back to the 50s, we're well on the way there.

I have heard a Democrat say that 4.5 percent unemployment is cause to get rid of Bush, but 7.9 percent unemployment is cause to retain Obama.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:51 PM »

Great argument, except for the fact that people 55+ have actually seen their workforce participation increase.

All the decline is confined to the 55 and under, and almost all to the 40 and under folks. If you're an under 40 guy, your workforce participation numbers are the lowest they've ever been in the post-war era.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »

You're talking to Politico or me? I believe Obama will win in spite of the economy because his electorate cares more about making sure that everyone is poor rather than see someone they don't like get ahead.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »

These secular forces are working against - not for you. That's my point. As bad as the numbers are now - they will be even worse later on. The 55+ crowd isn't going to work forever, but right now, the numbers are looking better than they actually are because they are going back to work.

I want to hear you say to my face that it's a good thing that men under forty have the lowest workforce participation rates, since the Great Depression. Smiley
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 11:19:12 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2012, 11:22:42 PM by Ben Kenobi »

Just so long as they bake you a pie first eh? Wink

It's one of the reasons why the American standard of living is higher. Do you really want things in America to be like Italy?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies