Adventism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:51:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Adventism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Adventism  (Read 894 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: September 25, 2012, 02:30:19 AM »

Seventh-Day Adventists, in my experience, have an odd mish-mash of conservative and not-so-conservative sociological beliefs. The town of College Place, Washington is majority SDA, including most of the businesses, which close down on Saturdays (it's a royal pain when I go there). Walla Walla University in College Place has almost BYU-level restrictions on the social lives of its undergraduates. I've heard it observed that SDAs tend to have standardly conservative views on premarital sex, leading to a culture of extremely early marriages (ie late teens), but that after marriage, they break away from the views of Catholics and other conservative Christians by allowing heavy use of birth control and breeding a culture where divorce is not only accepted but the norm in your mid-to-early 20s. Re-marriage is very common.

It just seems bizarre to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies