Adventism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:26:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Adventism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Adventism  (Read 898 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 16, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »

After seeing PioneerProgress's thread on Mormonism and Senator Ben's on Judaism, I thought I would start one on Adventism, since I am an Adventist and know many people have questions about some of our "weird" or unorthodox beliefs.  Admittedly, I'm probably not the most literate person in my Church's beliefs, at least officially, but I just thought I would like to answer some questions about my faith for those who might ask.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »

Which branch?  Seventh-Day or one of the smaller branches of Adventism?

While I'm not a Adventist, nor do I expect I ever will be, (I'm not a believer in a literal inerrancy of the Bible) there's a Seventh-Day Adventist radio station in the area I'll listen to while driving because sometimes it has the best programing on.  I prefer talk radio, but NPR doesn't always have something interesting (or it'll be a repeat as I listen to a lot of it)  Rush and his ilk I can usually only stand in small doses and ever since the local ESPN Radio affliate got sold and reformatted there hasn't been a sports talk station in the area I really like.
Seventh-Day Adventist, which is my denomination.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »

Hmmm... I read something yesterday about Samoan Sevs (there's a fairly large Adventist presence in the South Pacific). The country moved to the other side of the dateline a while ago, meaning that it jumped a day, and all but one of the Adventist congregations there decided to keep the seven day cycle unbroken and therefore now observe Sabbath on Sundays. Yep, one broke ranks and apparently cares more about the special distinguishing feature of Saturday service than the reasoning behind it.

Anyways, that struck me as funny and memorable and then one day later I see this thread.

That's odd.  I've never heard of that.  Wonder what the General Conference would think of that... Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »

I'm not a vegetarian, but I tend to have relatively moderate sociological views.  I oppose extramarital sex, smoking, drinking, and drug use, but I have no objections to eating meat (even pork if you choose), dancing, contemporary Christian music, etc.  I guess you could call me a Progressive Adventist.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »

Any questions, please?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies