Would Romney be polling better if he were Protestant (not Mormon)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:14:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Would Romney be polling better if he were Protestant (not Mormon)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Romney be polling better if he were Protestant (not Mormon)?  (Read 786 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2012, 11:48:40 PM »

Americans may be tolerant of other religions, but that doesn't mean we know anything about other Religions.  Most white Protestant Americans are familiar with the beliefs and practices of mainline Christianity, with a Reverend minister and concept of God/Jesus and Heaven and Christmas.  There's also a greater simplicity of Protestantism.

The other major religions are far more ceremonial, complicated, and complex: Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Mormonism.  In some ways, these religions have a lot of secrets that are purposely closed off to outsiders.  There is less transparency. 

I believe that Mitt Romney is doing Worse that he should be doing based on the bad economy, primarily because most voters know and understand very little about Mormonism.  Voters can't fully trust Romney because they don't trust his radical religion.  Southern evangelicals are extremely skeptical about Romney and Mormonism and this spreads to other southern voters.  Liberals also hate conservative Mormons and polygamy.

If Romney were a Protestant, Baptist, Lutheran, or other mainline Christian, like Ronald Reagan, would he be doing better in the polls? 

I think the only group that likes Mormons are other Catholics, which may help Romney because Catholics are swing voters. 

Should Romney just start campaigning in as many Christian churches as possible and attending Protestant services? 

technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:04:40 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2012, 12:18:56 AM by thrillr1111 »

Americans may be tolerant of other religions, but that doesn't mean we know anything about other Religions.  Most white Protestant Americans are familiar with the beliefs and practices of mainline Christianity, with a Reverend minister and concept of God/Jesus and Heaven and Christmas.  There's also a greater simplicity of Protestantism.

The other major religions are far more ceremonial, complicated, and complex: Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Mormonism.  In some ways, these religions have a lot of secrets that are purposely closed off to outsiders.  There is less transparency.  

I believe that Mitt Romney is doing Worse that he should be doing based on the bad economy, primarily because most voters know and understand very little about Mormonism.  Voters can't fully trust Romney because they don't trust his radical religion.  Southern evangelicals are extremely skeptical about Romney and Mormonism and this spreads to other southern voters.  Liberals also hate conservative Mormons and polygamy.

If Romney were a Protestant, Baptist, Lutheran, or other mainline Christian, like Ronald Reagan, would he be doing better in the polls?  

I think the only group that likes Mormons are other Catholics, which may help Romney because Catholics are swing voters.  

Should Romney just start campaigning in as many Christian churches as possible and attending Protestant services?  

No it's his

1.Gaffes (Trip to London and more gaffes
2.wealth (I don't really care about the poor)
3 Lack of foreign policy (didn't mention the troops in his Rnc speech
4.Flip flops (pro choice -now pro life
5. Tax Returns  
6. Independents will decide this election. So far he is losing them since he's being push all the way to the right with  Paul Ryan and his budget.

Protestant, Baptist, Lutheran, or other mainline Christian are all part of his base whether he's Mormon or not. I think most of them  will vote for him because he has an R next to name on the ballot.

milhouse24
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »

There are a lot of Evangelical Christians who are rejecting Romney. 

Whether you admit it or not, its preventing him from building PR momentum. 
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »

I think it is hurting him with certain constituents in the same way that JFK's Catholicism hurt him among certain constituents, but the effect is not big enough to prevent Romney from winning the presidency. I mean, if we lose by 2000 margins then I would talk more about this. But that will probably not happen.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »

He would be polling better in the South, worse in the West, and about the same in the Midwest/Northeast.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »

Against Obama, he will still sweep the Baptists. It's the moderates and swing voters that will deny him victory.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:06:01 PM »

Not when he's losing to a "Muslim" in the polls.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »

Sure. Turnout for him would be higher.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »

It's crazy because I've heard a few very conservative evangelicals flat out reject Romney because of his faith. A few have even speculated that they might vote for Obama. Still, I don't want Obama to benefit this year from religious discrimination.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »

If his opponent wasn't Obama maybe, I think the people who dislike Romney on religious grounds dislike Obama even more.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 05:20:39 AM »

He would probably lead the polls.
milhouse24
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »

If his opponent wasn't Obama maybe, I think the people who dislike Romney on religious grounds dislike Obama even more.

Nah, the conservatives who dislike Mormons just won't vote.  They would rather have a proclaimed Believer like Obama rather than a cultist crazy heathen like Romney. 

Obama may have been born to a Muslim father, but he is regular Christian church-goer and that is preferable over the polygomist Romney. 

A lot of voters are "emotional voters" and if they "emotionally hate" Romney, they still won't vote for him. 
A lot of voters value a president with the same religion because it validates and reaffirms their own spiritual outlook.  But its also comforting that at the end of the day, the President's personal motives is dictated by a shared spiritual soul.  Voters may feel Romney's first personal priority is to protect the Mormon church and appease its leaders to get into the Mormon heaven.  Voters just don't trust that Romney would personally care about their lives. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies