Romney: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:26:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Romney: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government  (Read 7952 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »

I think the worst part is this: "I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2012, 06:30:10 PM by Lief »

Mitt Romney of all people should not be complaining about people not paying enough taxes and mooching off the government, considering the federal government pays him more than the average household income each year to own a horse.

edit:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »

You Dems should be ashamed.  Thinking that all 100% of Americans shouldn't be required to pay income taxes is the worst kind of class warfare.   The kind that only a class of people stupid and poor like you would ever use.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »

So how big a story will this be? Of course we know about it, but will they be talking about it on the Today Show tomorrow morning?

It's currently the top story on Google News, if that counts for anything.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 06:52:12 PM »

LoL. Poor Romney. I'm beginning to believe Obama will carry IN, GA, MT and NC if things continue this way.
timothyinMD

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »

It's very accurate.  Romney was spot on.  Democratic voters only care about how deep they can get their hands in the taxpayer cookie jar
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »

It's very accurate.  Romney was spot on.  Democratic voters only care about how deep they can get their hands in the taxpayer cookie jar

It's better than reducing human beings to their status as 'taxpayers'.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »

It's better than reducing human beings to their status as 'taxpayers'.

When I'm paying the taxes, they are taxpayers.  He probably gets the welfare caseworker vote with that.  Smiley
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »

This is offensive and wrong, but not for the reason everyone is getting upset about.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »

This is offensive and wrong, but not for the reason everyone is getting upset about.

Please elaborate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »

Please elaborate.

Don't take the bait, please.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »

Please elaborate.

Don't take the bait, please.

I know it's a bad idea, but I'm morbidly curious.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »

Please elaborate.

Romney is correct in saying that there are way too many people out there dependent on government, but I don't like (and am in fact sort of offended, yes, though it's probably because I'm in a bitchy mood in general) where he says they all vote Democratic. In practice, although the urban poor really do vote Democratic, rural poor white voters, especially in the South, are a part of his base, and it seems to me to be in incredibly bad taste -- and in fact offensive -- to talk about how awful they are when many will vote for him.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »

This is the kind of thing that ends campaigns. It really just depends on how much play it gets. (I suspect MSM will try to bury it quickly because they desperately want a horse race.)

What a horrendous candidate Romney is turning out to be. Wow.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »

So, this is Romney's very own "clinging to guns and religion" moment?  It would be a shame for every candidate not to have one.  Tongue  Of course, this one came six weeks away from the election and not in the middle of primary season, but, just like Obama did when he made a similar gaffe, he was pandering to donors when he said it.  These guys would really do well to remember that there are microphones absolutely everywhere they go.  I guess they had better send Ann back out there.

It's really lovely what we all think of one another in America, isn't it?

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

This is the kind of thing that ends campaigns. It really just depends on how much play it gets. (I suspect MSM will try to bury it quickly because they desperately want a horse race.)

It is the top story on Politico..
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »

It is the top story on Politico..
It was covered on NBC Nightly News this evening.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »

Mitt doesn't understand the first rule of scapegoating...you scapegoat a very small group, none of which you expect to vote for you. Examples: the poor, blacks, gays, Mexicans...or for Democrats it can be the rich.

You dont call half of America irresponsible moochers with a victim complex.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »

Please elaborate.

Romney is correct in saying that there are way too many people out there dependent on government, but I don't like (and am in fact sort of offended, yes, though it's probably because I'm in a bitchy mood in general) where he says they all vote Democratic. In practice, although the urban poor really do vote Democratic, rural poor white voters, especially in the South, are a part of his base, and it seems to me to be in incredibly bad taste -- and in fact offensive -- to talk about how awful they are when many will vote for him.

This actually is a large part of why it's offensive and wrong, yeah. It's not effective scapegoating if you're insulting large chunks of your own base by doing it.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

Please elaborate.

Why,isn't it offensive all the same if he says how awful they are and they vote Dem?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »

Well, considering how I'm a part of that base, I don't find it offensive at all. Plenty of people on government support make more than I do and I'm glad that Mitt Romney speaks for me here.

You seem to be assuming that people cannot be rural, poor and white, and still have to work for a living.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »

This actually is a large part of why it's offensive and wrong, yeah. It's not effective scapegoating if you're insulting large chunks of your own base by doing it.

And so the morbidly curious leftist ended up agreeing with Vosem.

Well, considering how I'm a part of that base, I don't find it offensive at all. Plenty of people on government support make more than I do and I'm glad that Mitt Romney speaks for me here.

You seem to be assuming that people cannot be rural, poor and white, and still have to work for a living.

I'm not. Some people are rural, poor, white, and work for a living. But some depend very, very heavily on government support. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »

Do you believe those in said group who work for a living are more likely to support Romney than those on government support?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2012, 09:16:53 PM by Smirking Voter »

a big chunk the "dependent" people in this 47% are retirees, who are the core of Romney's base. Is he now committing to taxing their SS benefits? That will go over well in FL.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »

Do you believe those in said group who work for a living are more likely to support Romney than those on government support?

Yes. But, nevertheless, the latter figure is very substantial and Romney insulting them, like he just did, strikes me as very, very...bad behavior. There's a word on the tip of my tongue and I just can't remember it.

EDIT: 'Entitled' was the word. Very entitled.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies