The Comedy Goldmine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Comedy Goldmine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 83
Author Topic: The Comedy Goldmine  (Read 244782 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »

Adults who like the for boys Adventure Time are just as lame as the bronies.  There's nothingIn these shows that an adult with no children can find useful.  Read a book. Expand your knowledge.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #426 on: January 20, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

I was with my niece yesterday, and My Little Pony was on, and I really can't see how any adults are watching this. At no point, did this look like it was meant for anyone over the age of 10. No adult humor, no nothing.. it was just creepy
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #427 on: January 20, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »

Attacking adult males for liking My Little Pony is very reactionary and is a defense of traditional gender roles.

Agreed, what kind of man wouldn't like a show about six hot lesbians learning to love each other more?

Gay, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #428 on: January 20, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »

Here's something that I think might result in some extreme Values Dissonance: in my whole subculture and scene, things like your native culture and traditions are not supposed to matter. Because one you get involved with the subculture, THAT becomes your culture. Where you came from is washed away. Even if you were born into some specialized ethnic community, that is not what you "belong" to anymore. Race, ethnicity and background no longer matter. You know my whole neutral hoodie/band shirt/jeans outfit? People wear that EVERYWHERE. You can go to a show in Europe or even South Africa and people will be dressed the exact same way. And it helps that it's neutral and not tied to any type of region or culture and also doesn't carry any racial or class connotations, etc. You know my dislike of cliques and fraternities? It's pretty much based on the same type of thinking. Now that's not to say all sorts of categories within that culture develop (as this makes clear), but it does mean that one doesn't attach themselves to an ethnic identity anymore, and that makes any type of purely nominal denominational affiliation meaningless. It's part of a greater stream of acceptability and equality, similar to Galatians 3:28, just change "Christ Jesus" to "punk/hardcore/indie/emo".

What this does mean is that if someone is a Christian (and mind you, atheism/agnosticism is closer to the norm), they'll probably identify as just "Christian" (or something like "Christ follower") and if they have a church it'll be something neutral in terms of race and ethnic connotations. So essentially that means no Catholics, at least for that reason mentioned above. And to actually be a Catholic, this means basically accepting things like patriarchism and this:

It also means there is zero tradition of accepted schism where you go off and do your own thing, while that right is central to the Protestant tradition.

which run COMPLETELY afoul to the acceptable cultural mores. The result? If you're involved you won't be Catholic, and if you're really in deep in the scene it's not likely you'll know someone in it whose Catholic, and thus will not be familiar with someone clinging to denominational affiliation based on culture and tradition alone. Such a premise becomes very alien and difficult to comprehend because the fact is, you just don't think that way. And people who are Christian are going to want a similar style and attitude, race, gender and ethnicity are meaningless, Christ is open to EVERYONE, and that means no type of "ethnic" practices. There are some other factors involved, including the basic fact that your typical Catholic church is going to be full of mostly just olds on any given Sunday, but that's the jist of the whole thing.

Now before someone points out that this is rather hypocritical for something that appeals pretty much only to middle to upper class white people, well yes, that's true. But it should at least give some insight into the mindset involved. So when PR is saying I have no respect for history, tradition and culture, well perhaps, but one must realize that's because I'm from somewhere where the rule is to NOT do that.

Hahahaha, are you quite sure you want to use this as an argument against the Catholic Church? 
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #429 on: January 21, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 10:10:19 AM by Swedish Cheese »

Also, I'm straight, if any of you were wondering.

I don't think we ever would've figured that out had you not stated it.

Never would have taken 20RP12 for a good snarker before.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #430 on: January 21, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »

Adults who like the for boys Adventure Time are just as lame as the bronies.  There's nothingIn these shows that an adult with no children can find useful.  Read a book. Expand your knowledge.

I'm not really interested in the ponies and I still don't know what Adventure Time actually is, but I find the idea that 'proper adults' should be able to divine some kind of utility-value (however defined) out of things they read or watch, and that the extent to which they admit of doing so has a direct correlation to the ostensible target audience age, a little questionable.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #431 on: January 21, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »

The United Methodist Church uses liturgical colors, BRTD.

And the one I linked to has their own app available for iPhones and Androids.

Which is, of course, a more important indicator.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #432 on: January 21, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »

Stop giving North Dakota a bad name. Rick Berg was enough.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #433 on: January 21, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »

Adventure Time is actually quite good if you've blocked off an afternoon of quality time with your water pipe. Kids shows are typically made with the intent of entertaining grownups, since its grownups that often make the viewing decisions for kids, especially young kids.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #434 on: January 22, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »

Franken: 480
Oldies: 58

Franken pulls out victories in much of the Midwest due to illegal felons voting, and wins the racist vote in the South due to being a white Democrat (the racist party!) running against a black Republican.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #435 on: January 22, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »

Why do Europeans have such difficulty with guns?

Yup, everybody deals with anger as they can. Europeans with sarcasm, Americans by shooting someone. Wink
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #436 on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »

Franken pulls out victories in much of the Midwest due to illegal felons voting, and wins the racist vote in the South due to being a white Democrat (the racist party!) running against a black Republican.

Oldies is a black?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #437 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »

Oldies is a black?

No, but he incorrectly believed we think so.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »

http://www.avclub.com/articles/i-remember-you,86397/
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #439 on: January 22, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

Oldies is a black?

But contrary to popular misconception, I am indeed white, not black.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #440 on: January 22, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »

The thing is, I'm the one who started the 'Oldies is a black' meme
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2013, 02:48:54 AM »

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #442 on: January 23, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »

Ramsey has some strange ideas, like advising people to pay off their smallest debt first, regardless of interest rate. WTF? You have to take every mathematical advantage possible to get ahead today.

I've heard him say that he recommends it because it makes it psychologically easier to stay on track paying off debt. Personally I say just suck it up and keep the debt repayments automatic.
Whether or not your payments are automatic isn't the issue. If you have more than one revolving debt with interest, like a credit card, car payment, mortgage, etc, you have to decide, how much additional money to send each one after the minimum payment. Mathematically, you only want to pay the minimum to all creditors except the one with the highest rate, and you want to send them every penny you've marked for debt reduction. It's just basic math. He wants people to pay the smallest debt first because they will feel good and stick to the plan once it's paid off. It's not mathematically sound. Unless you just enjoy paying extra money in interest.
People are not a math formula.
Congrats. In one sentence, you've debunked the entire dismal science of economics. Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #443 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:06 AM »

Context needed:

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #444 on: January 24, 2013, 07:32:41 AM »

from great atlas forum i learn that there are no gays in the countryside
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #445 on: January 25, 2013, 02:01:11 AM »

out of all of them, which would you say is your best?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #446 on: January 25, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »

EDIT: I just realized that this might have been what you meant, i.e. worth it for her even if she gets burnt up afterwards. Tongue But, yeah, that wouldn't happen either.

Yes, I was formulating a pick-up line before I travel to the sub-continent - 'hey sweet stuff, my manly allurements are so prodigious and overwhelming you won't mind the inevitable subsequent immolation'.  (don't worry, I would keep it lighthearted by working my eyebrows up and down or winking broadly - perhaps both if she looks like a 'go-er')
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #447 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »

and people seriously argue that opebo isn't our best poster.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #448 on: January 25, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »

A new SUSA poll shows these awful numbers for Christie:

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Chris Christie is doing as Governor?
Approve 38%
Disapprove 56%

Should Governor Chris Christie run for President of the United States in 2012? Not run for President? Or do you not know enough to say?
Should Run 15%
Should Not 73%

Compared to Barack Obama, would Christie be a better President? A worse President? Or would he be about the same?
Better 29%
Worse 53%
About The Same 14%

Compared to George W. Bush, would Christie be a better President? A worse President? Or would he be about the same?
Better 25%
Worse 30%
About The Same 32%

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=5ef5275c-3166-493d-aecb-3d856c8705a5

I have a map in progress showing the ability of state governors to get good results for themselves. This looks like an outlier, and it is hard to see how Christie could suddenly become as unpopular as Scott, Kasich, Walker, or Snyder.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #449 on: January 26, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »

I enjoyed this exchange . . .

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 83  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies