The Comedy Goldmine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:32:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Comedy Goldmine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 83
Author Topic: The Comedy Goldmine  (Read 244927 times)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: May 09, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #951 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »

Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City

1. Will Rogers died in a plane crash.
2. This airport is the only one to have 'World' in its name rather than the more customary 'International'.
3. You cannot fly to any international destinations from this World Airport.

loloklahoma

Wanted to make the same point about it being named "World" and had a sad feeling it actually wasn't an international airport.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #952 on: May 10, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »

Have they opened up Darwin Award nominating yet for 2013?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43624650/ns/us_news-life/t/ny-motorcyclist-dies-ride-protesting-helmet-law/#.UY06rsok670

These are some of my most favorite protests.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #953 on: May 11, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »

The headache that was trying to develop earlier today has left the room.  It briefly got up to about a 4.0, but now is down to a 1.5.

Sounds like it's gotten much further than you have.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #954 on: May 11, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »

December 1, 1955: Montgomery, Alabama (paraphrased)

James F. Blake: Hey, all you n*****s have to move to the back of the bus!
Rosa Parks: Well, I don't want to and you can't make me 'cause I have the right to sit where I damn well please.
Moderate Hero: How about you just move one seat back, OK? I mean, let's not get too extreme here.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #955 on: May 12, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »

FF, though he wasn't a really good president.  He handled Waco and Oklahoma City well, but had way too many scandals for his own good.  He refused to acknowledge Osama Bin Laden.  He refused to take out Saddam Hussein when he had the chance and left it for Bush to do and thus passed the blame onto Bush.  His deregulation of the banks in the late 1990's started the faucet dripping for the 2008-2010 recession that we're still trying to dig our way out of.  I won't even mention Monica Lewinsky.  He is a very likable guy, though.  I would really like to eat dinner with him one of these days, as long as he can leave Hillary at home.  With all that said, he's probably the best Democratic president in the last 40 years, including Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama.  He is also the best president we've had in the nearly 25 years since Reagan has been out of office.  Reagan is the best president in American History, but Clinton is the best in the past quarter century.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #956 on: May 12, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #957 on: May 12, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »

All the Bulgarian parties want the Roma to find work.

In Western Europe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #958 on: May 12, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »

Context:

On a completely unrelated note, I support Govenor Schweitzer to be the Democratic VP nominee in 2016 Cheesy
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #959 on: May 13, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »

FF, though he wasn't a really good president.  He handled Waco and Oklahoma City well, but had way too many scandals for his own good.  He refused to acknowledge Osama Bin Laden.  He refused to take out Saddam Hussein when he had the chance and left it for Bush to do and thus passed the blame onto Bush.  His deregulation of the banks in the late 1990's started the faucet dripping for the 2008-2010 recession that we're still trying to dig our way out of.  I won't even mention Monica Lewinsky.  He is a very likable guy, though.  I would really like to eat dinner with him one of these days, as long as he can leave Hillary at home.  With all that said, he's probably the best Democratic president in the last 40 years, including Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama.  He is also the best president we've had in the nearly 25 years since Reagan has been out of office.  Reagan is the best president in American History, but Clinton is the best in the past quarter century.
What's so funny about that?  Clinton wasn't a bad president, but he was a very overrated one.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #960 on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:18 AM »

Because he says "He wasn't a good President" and then says "but Clinton is the best in the past quarter century"
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #961 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2013, 09:34:42 AM by politicus »

Because he says "He wasn't a good President" and then says "but Clinton is the best in the past quarter century"

If you think that all US Presidents since Reagan have been pretty bad (like Jeff apparently does) its not absurd to say Clinton was the best of them, even though "he wasn't a good President". In that case he was the best of a bad lot.  
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #962 on: May 13, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

If you think that all US Presidents since Reagan have been pretty bad (like Jeff apparently does) its not absurd to say Clinton was the best of them, even though "he wasn't a good President". In that case he was the best of a bad lot.  

I suppose. Though I guess the juxtaposition of it and the fact that it's Bushie makes it funny.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #963 on: May 13, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »

There's something just quite so utterly and entirely perfect about a libertarian only being able to grow a neckbeard-and-Hitler-'tache combo.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #964 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »

Except Bushie seems to go into every presidential election undecided, but thinking that both candidates are good people, who he'd be cool with becoming his president.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:31 AM »

There's something just quite so utterly and entirely perfect about a libertarian only being able to grow a neckbeard-and-Hitler-'tache combo.

Good one.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #966 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:55 AM »

i think that requires a very careful analysis of some of nixon's other policies. probably more so than i am capable of offering quite honestly. but i will try anyway. please forgive the very brief summary:

- he enacted his secret plan to end the vietnam war and showed how ahead of his time he was by adopting a surge strategy. that the us only saw 15,000 american and 500,000 vietnamese deaths following this decision speaks to his foresight and clear-eyed realism. president obama should take note. perhaps reinstate the draft for good measure as some civic minded progressives have suggested.
- he launched a humanitarian intervention in cambodia to stop it from falling to the communists. i think since vietnam and cambodia both fell to the communists we can conclude he was right about the domino theory.
- he tried to convince our friends the chinese to intervene in india and pakistan. it is too bad that they did not heed his wise advice, otherwise the us would likely not have as many people hurt by outsourcing today.
- he tried to reduce poverty in the black community by promoting humane birth control measures like sterilization (without paternalistic things like 'informed consent' laws) and abortion (which was of course, acceptable for blacks in his opinion). he also enacted policies that would give millions of young minorities guaranteed access to clothing, healthcare, food and free room and board.
- he passed landmark health reform legislation, creating the system of hmos that so many millions of americans enjoy today.
- he helped enact policies that put a stop to the horrific economic stagnation caused by unions after ww2. undoubtedly helped contribute to present day record corporate profits.
- he campaigned against excessive regulation, then wisely changed course and proposed dozens of new regulatory agencies, then attempted to veto them after a thorough cost-benefit analysis. today agencies like the epa are staffed full of pro-business individuals, with years of valuable experience working in business and government.
- he enacted price controls that were obviously very beneficial to the economy. grocery stores could barely keep up with new demand!
- he took the bold step of declaring a war on drugs, which has thus far cost approximately $1 trillion dollars.. this to me sounds like a small price to pay given all the lives touched by nixon. it really speaks to the successes of our post-1970s drug policy so many former drug users have not only quit, but even become president themselves.

so overall, like many historians looking at nixon's many accomplishments i would have to say that he was 'near great.' if only he had done more before being taken down by a disturbingly un-civil and un-neutral media. who knows what legislation nixon and his team of policy wonks could have given us.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #967 on: May 15, 2013, 02:15:54 AM »

Legendary post^^^
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #968 on: May 15, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »

Yup, that explains it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #969 on: May 15, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »

Oh wow, that sucks.  You never know when your time is up, no matter how young you are.  At least he was doing something he loved at the time.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #970 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »

Context:

see also:   https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=173228.0
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #971 on: May 15, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »

Context:

see also:   https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=173228.0

2 posts too late, kid.  Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #972 on: May 15, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

sh[inks] Sad
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #973 on: May 15, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »

What are you gonna eat today, Bushie? Will it be somewhat healthy at least?

To be honest, doubtful.  I'm probably going to go by McDonald's on my to my cousins.  I'm riding with my cousin to a high school graduation tonight.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #974 on: May 16, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »

I'm still waiting for Obama to congratulate Phil.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 83  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies