(When) Did Your Political Ideology Diverge From Your Parents'? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:32:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  (When) Did Your Political Ideology Diverge From Your Parents'? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: (When) Did Your Political Ideology Diverge From Your Parents'?  (Read 4446 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: October 03, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »

It never really did, in part because starting in my teenage years, both my parents looked to me for political "guidance." Yes, I was a weird kid - very weird, easily lapping most of you. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »

Very odd, because I found making my own money - at last! - the most liberating thing that ever happened in my life. I was finally a free man. It suffused me with joy - it really did.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »

Very odd, because I found making my own money - at last! - the most liberating thing that ever happened in my life. I was finally a free man. It suffused me with joy - it really did.

That wasn't the question, Torie......the questions was, hen did my views diverge from my family's.....I became much more fiscally conservative......

I was responding to opebo's favorite meme that work is a synonym for humiliation and degradation. In my case, it was precisely the opposite. I have always enjoyed work, at a record store, delivering the mail for law professors, grading papers, suing people. And making my own money, rather than taking Daddy's (that was humiliating to me), was always job one in my life. Life is beautiful. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »

My ideology began seriously diverging from that of my parents as a result of three key events in my life:

1. Coming out as gay
2. Moving to Boston
3. Moving to Los Angeles

Start associating with more liberal folks, and you'll find yourself agreeing with them more and more.

I generally prefer associating with liberals I find, but I would like to think I influence them more politically than visa versa. Be strong Mr. Moderate!  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »

I had more influence on my parents' views than visa versa actually, starting at around the age of 14. Yes, I was a weird kid. No doubt about it.    So there never really was much divergence. Later on, my brothers were annoyed (both Dems), that I was the one with the influence. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies