(When) Did Your Political Ideology Diverge From Your Parents'? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:15:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  (When) Did Your Political Ideology Diverge From Your Parents'? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: (When) Did Your Political Ideology Diverge From Your Parents'?  (Read 4454 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »

When I stopped attending church and lost my spiritual side, my social beliefs became very different from those of my parents very quickly. That doesn't mean that they're social conservatives by any means but that I became a caricature of an angry young liberal on them with a fierce libertarian streak. Now that I've matured, I've swung back to their views on a few issues and my only real ideological differences occur because of cultural differences (I'm an "intellectual hipster/alt/whatever" who attends a liberal arts college vs typical lower middle class/working class roots) As far as their values are concerned, they're social democrats with a big emphasis on, reducing poverty and protecting the environment. If they read the same literature that I did, they'd come to the same conclusions.

My parents have certainly been an incredibly major influence on my political development. They come from pretty different demographic backgrounds but at the end of the day their rearing taught me the basis that led me to my current path: income says nothing about about a person's worth, that everyone is entitled to the same basic existence and that we have a moral obligation to protect our planet.

I definitely disagree with my father's inherent dislike for the wealthy and my mom's distaste for gays. That's about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies