Rise of Coalition America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:31:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Rise of Coalition America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rise of Coalition America  (Read 3344 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

The end of the two party system firmly in place since the Gilded Age had its roots not in the 1968 Presidential Election but in the 1964 GOP Convention. Nelson Rockefeller defeated Barry Goldwater by just one delegate. Many thought Nelson and the New England moderate wing would throw a bone to the fast rising conservative wing. However that wouldn't be the case as William Scranton was selected. My dad, like many conservatives, were furious over the betrayal by Rockefeller. Though there were talks of a party split, Rising star Ronald Reagan called for reason to prevail. "If this happens in 1968, we revolt. As it stands we aren't strong enough to split off and win on our own. We have to think what would be best in the long term."

Coalition Rising by Gvr. Rand Paul (AmLib-KY)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »

Cool stuff! I'm wondering how Rockefeller managed to beat Goldwater. The Goldwaterites were pretty organized and Rockefeller collapsed before the primaries even began. Is it the collapse of Goldwater's organization?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »

Cool stuff! I'm wondering how Rockefeller managed to beat Goldwater. The Goldwaterites were pretty organized and Rockefeller collapsed before the primaries even began. Is it the collapse of Goldwater's organization?

Goldwater doesn't collapse neither does Rocky ITTL. The explanation will be in an upcoming issue.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »

Looking forward to the next update
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:35:07 PM »

I'm going to enjoy this.  Here's to another President Goldwater TL!  Wink
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »

Who's to say Goldwater becomes president. Notice the word Coalition in the title. Remember how the factions within both the Democrats and the GOP were not the greatest with regards to intrapartsian relations. The Democrats were on the verge of a split.

Some major politicos will meet different fates with regards to how far they advance. Yet some will be in familiar positions and an assassination or two may or may not happen. In fact, the Rockey winning the GOP nod by one vote is not the first point of divergence.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »

Who's to say Goldwater becomes president. Notice the word Coalition in the title. Remember how the factions within both the Democrats and the GOP were not the greatest with regards to intrapartsian relations. The Democrats were on the verge of a split.

Some major politicos will meet different fates with regards to how far they advance. Yet some will be in familiar positions and an assassination or two may or may not happen. In fact, the Rockey winning the GOP nod by one vote is not the first point of divergence.

Well I was mostly just hinting very strongly that's where I'm hoping this goes.  Goldwater TL's are so few and far between.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to this unfolding no matter where you take it
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »

Well I was mostly just hinting very strongly that's where I'm hoping this goes.  Goldwater TL's are so few and far between.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to this unfolding no matter where you take it

Barry does figure to be in a prominent role regardless if he's president or not. I can guarantee that.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 02:03:25 AM »

Barry does figure to be in a prominent role regardless if he's president or not. I can guarantee that.

Cool.  Will be following this one closely Wink
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:39:38 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2012, 11:41:13 PM by Is JCL in mushy sappy love »

It came down to just one. One solitary delegate. And it spelled defeat for our party. Governor Rockefeller must've offered something to one of the super delegates that I refused to guarantee due to a matter of conscience. Something conservatives use when we deliberate the issues before a vote. Nelson was too easily blown by wherever the political winds howled. Mr Reagan painted a conservative vision, no.....an American vision where there could be the maximum amount of liberty consistent with traditional law and order.......... It was sad that our friend Jack Kennedy had to air out some dirty laundry to save his family. It was equally distasteful how LBJ and the equally hypocritical Nelson Rockefeller to use Jack's family problems to advance their own separate agendas at the expense of the American people....... All I can ask of President Humphrey is to maintain Jack's policies on foreign matters. Don't back down from the communists but make every effort to find a path to peace.

Sen. Barry Goldwater (RThen AmLib-AZ) in a post election interview given by Walter Cronkite, 1964
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »

Very interesting man; keep it up Wink
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2012, 08:57:36 PM by Is JCL in mushy sappy love »

I chose to be transparent with regards to recent allegations of infidelity because as I've spoken in the past of secrecy being repugnant. It was also on advisement of Rev. Dr. King and Rev. Billy Graham. Confession of sin or personal weakness is never an easy thing Walter...... But Jackie and I have reconciled to each other and to God. Even if America doesn't reelect me I'm at peace.

Walter Cronkite: There's a rumor that you, Jackie, and the kids have left the Roman Catholic Church. Is this true?

JFK: No. Though I've been attending an Evangelical Protestant Bible study in Indiana on occasion. While I may be a man of a wealthy family I see these folks in the Midwestern states wanting common sense solutions to the problems of our day. Their values of hard work and sound personal morals show us that America can rise above any crises. I believe President Coolidge, a Conservative Republican once said

"We do not need more material development, we need more spiritual development. We do not need more intellectual power, we need more moral power. We do not need more knowledge, we need more character. We do not need more government, we need more culture. We do not need more law, we need more religion. We do not need more of the things that are seen, we need more of the things that are unseen."

Walter: Many see this recent conservative turn by you as troubling. Why have you taken such a turn?

JFK: What is troubling is the wrongful perception of conservatives as opposing civil rights regarding matters of race. Many of them have been some of the most progressive champions for the rights of African Americans and other minorities. In fact many of them are particularly conservative with regards to economic matters. It's sad that members of my own party don't embrace economic positions of wise stewardship.

Walter: Aren't you aware they're to blame for the depression and FDR?

JFK: The blame rests more on the FDR policies than anything.

Excerpt from 60 Minutes September 1964
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

Haven't the conservatives come to understand their role in the grand scheme of things? Abortion is a woman's right and they will hold their noses for us rather than vote for Jack the hypocrite. They think LBJ is a racist [profanity redacted] only masquerading as a progressive. They wouldn't dare go at it alone. As long as there is breath in me this party will remain the party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. Not of Coolidge, Goldwater and Reagan

Memoirs of a Tory Fmr Gvr of New York and 1964 Republican nominee Nelson Rockefeller (R then Tory-NY) written 1964 published 1970
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

It's back!  Cheesy
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »

You're gonna like where it goes eventually.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »

I hope this means what I think it means
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »

Being a Republican in the 1960's was a never-ending roller coaster ride or pew jumping in a Pentecostal church service. You didn't know who was with you or who was seeking your downfall. We all thought Ike was with Nixon and that's what it looked like until the convention. What we didn't realize was that he had a change of heart that would tear the GOP right in two. Also what is even more inexplicable is almost 60 percent of Americans sided with Ike's endorsement. He still commanded respect of the populace. And with that respect came influence.

Eisenhower's Gambit by Professor Newt Gingrich of Hillsdale University published 1988

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 09:16:29 PM »

Hillsdale! Cheesy I've applied there & went to an interview on Sunday.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »

Haven't the conservatives come to understand their role in the grand scheme of things? Abortion is a woman's right and they will hold their noses for us rather than vote for Jack the hypocrite. They think LBJ is a racist [profanity redacted] only masquerading as a progressive. They wouldn't dare go at it alone. As long as there is breath in me this party will remain the party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. Not of Coolidge, Goldwater and Reagan

Memoirs of a Tory Fmr Gvr of New York and 1964 Republican nominee Nelson Rockefeller (R then Tory-NY) written 1964 published 1970
Agreed, but I vemently disagree with him on abortion and LBJ was a racist who masqueraded as a progressive.  That aside, I would have been on Rocky's side.  The GOP needs to return in RL to embracing their history as the party of Lincoln, TR, and Reagan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »

I'd really like to see this expounded upon. While I might not necessarily agree with the view on certain figures (ie. JFK siding with the conservatives and whathaveyou), the scenario look very interesting and I'd love to see it play out. I myself at one point was considering a Conservative Party timeline involving the GOP taking Rockefeller's path.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »

Agreed, but I vemently disagree with him on abortion and LBJ was a racist who masqueraded as a progressive.  That aside, I would have been on Rocky's side.  The GOP needs to return in RL to embracing their history as the party of Lincoln, TR, and Reagan.

I'll get into the splits as they come. The idea with Rocky and Nixon splitting with Reagan/Goldwater and in coming years Kemp was one of the scenarios I've thought about for awhile.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »

Wallace: I can't believe that [profanity redacted]. He sold us out.
LeMay: What's worse is many southerners are agreeing with him. It could cost us the White House
Wallace: Get LBJ on the horn.... We can't let him win. Dixie must stay in our hand.

The conversation that led to to the SNP

------------ -----------

My greatest failure was that I couldn't strenghen Medicare further. Scranton and the GOP failed to keep Goldwater and his conservative wing on board. Something about my "abandoning South Vietnam to godless freedom hating communists" . I'm against the Soviets like anyone but there was too much corruption in Saigon for me to stomach. The troops are leaving at the end of 1968.

President Hubert Humphrey (D-MN
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies