What really happened in 1980 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:10:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What really happened in 1980 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What really happened in 1980  (Read 5150 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 22, 2012, 09:42:11 PM »

Obviously, Carter and Obama are not the same person, but they both have struck similar note.  Carter's 1976 slogan was, "A Leader, for a Change."  Both had represented what had been, or became, a major part of the New Deal Coalition.

This is as much to say that they are Democrats.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is as much to say that they are Republicans.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »

Carter was one of the more forgettable Presidents that we had in the 20th century -- one with few achievements and, unlike the successful incumbent he ran from his record and had to make fresh promises.

Sounds familiar...

Obama has not, in fact, run from his record, and I think you yourself have actually accused him of being rather vague about what precisely he'd want to do that's new in a second term.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2012, 11:51:36 PM by Nathan »

Obama has not, in fact, run from his record, and I think you yourself have actually accused him of being rather vague about what precisely he'd want to do that's new in a second term.

Of course he has.  How many times was unemployment mentioned at the convention.

I'm sorry, but I don't even understand what point you're trying to make here. It isn't as if unemployment has increased since Obama's policies actually took effect, you know (or maybe you don't, since you're supporting a ticket that at its own convention blamed Obama for something that took place in 2008 at least once). Does 'not running from one's record' embrace 'accentuating the so far moderately disappointing parts of one's record' for you?  If so, why is Romney running from the fact that when he was Governor of Massachusetts construction projects took like three times as long as he said they would and he once tried to balance the budget by charging people for being blind?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »

Carter was one of the more forgettable Presidents that we had in the 20th century -- one with few achievements and, unlike the successful incumbent he ran from his record and had to make fresh promises.

Sounds familiar...

Obama is clinging to 8% unemployment and one trillion dollar deficits. He is making fresh promises of "forward" and "change from outside," both of which have no substance (he's just a good speaker and campaigner; he is a president who is in over his head). I suppose I do retract the claim that he is making fresh promises (well, I suppose he is playing political football with the emotions of gay people by trying to make gay marriage a wedge issue again; fortunately, Romney is not biting like they thought he would). He's really only left with clinging to 8% unemployment and one trillion dollar deficits. Once people are asked whether or not they want the next four years to look like the past four years, it's lights out for O just like the last Democrat to lose re-election (i.e., Obama's teenage idol, Jimmy Nonstarter).

And how many times have you claimed that point would come now that it hasn't?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »

Sounds familiar...

Obama is clinging to 8% unemployment and one trillion dollar deficits. He is making fresh promises of "forward" and "change from outside," both of which have no substance (he's just a good speaker and campaigner; he is a president who is in over his head). I suppose I do retract the claim that he is making fresh promises (well, I suppose he is playing political football with the emotions of gay people by trying to make gay marriage a wedge issue again; fortunately, Romney is not biting like they thought he would). He's really only left with clinging to 8% unemployment and one trillion dollar deficits. Once people are asked whether or not they want the next four years to look like the past four years, it's lights out for O just like the last Democrat to lose re-election (i.e., Obama's teenage idol, Jimmy Nonstarter).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw#t=01m56s

I can't stay mad at you. That song is badass.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »

Sounds familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw#t=01m56s

I can't stay mad at you. That song is badass.

You both have lame-ass taste in music. Tongue

I said 'badass' (which it is), not 'good' (which it isn't).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies