Starting anew in my life
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:08:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Starting anew in my life
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Starting anew in my life  (Read 1575 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:18:49 AM »
« edited: September 23, 2012, 04:30:07 AM by Reaganfan »

Without divulging into too many details, if that is possible, I want to announce to the forum, which for over eight years has been an online home in many ways, that I am shaking things up in my personal life.

The past four years have brought changes that I had not foreseen.

2008 was a great year. It began (literally) with Phil and Assad and our noteworthy trip to the Iowa Caucuses on January 1st. I then traveled with other friends to South Florida in May of that year. At that time I was living with my father and enlisting in the United States Air Force. My younger sister was dating as was my older sister. Both my parents had relationships ongoing as well.

We were bigger than Obama that year.

Things were great during the entire Summer. My sister was in a relationship with a mutual friend in our condo complex, and the summer was spent having outdoor barbeques, congregating with friends and family, and watching a close Presidential election.

Me - Fall 2008

The week of September 15th was very important for me that year. Our very own Keystone Phil called me that afternoon to tell me about the favorable polls for John McCain. Later that evening, my internet went out. It was due to the fact that my father and I were relocating to a different city to move into a more spacious home where we would be joined by his girlfriend and her two children (both teenagers at the time). As I kept up on news through talk radio and newspapers at Starbucks, I heard about the sudden economic collapse, the "suspending" of the McCain campaign, and the sudden ill interviews of Sarah Palin. Suddenly I began hearing about negative polls, the fundamentals of the economy being strong, and other various sad news.

By the end of the week we had left our home and moved in with new people, my sister and her boyfriend had terminated their relationship, and Barack Obama was the de-facto President-elect of the United States. This move into the new home was the end of the "Teamspeak" days. (Big difference from the late night rowdy audio conversations with Phil and Assad when you are in a $1000 a month condo with soundproof walls and it's just you and your father.)

By Halloween 2008, my mother had remarried, the political campaign was not going the way I had hoped, and I was trying to adjust to a new and temporary lifestyle. The holidays came, and with them my three months of a semester of college courses.

Mom remarries - October 2008

Watching McCain concede, November 2008

In January 2009, my father retired from the Police Department, where he had worked since Gerald Ford's Presidency. He married in March of 2009 and soon after my sister discovered she was pregnant. Although her and her boyfriend did not work out, it gave me a beautiful nephew who was born in January 2010 while I was in the U.S. Air Force. I had a glorious trip with Phil and Assad in July 2009, which is the last time I saw either of them. My older sister married in October 2009 and my younger one married in 2011 and had another child this past May.

At World Trade Center, July 2009 - Photo taken by Keystone Phil

Of course, as discussed in previous threads, I left for the Air Force in late 2009, only to have to return in mid-Spring 2010 due to a benign but disqualifying heart defect. It was still one of the best life choices I ever made.

Home from the U.S. Air Force with a new baby nephew, Spring 2010

Following a brief week-long getaway with my friends to Florida in May of 2010, I found work at a restaurant where I have kept employment for the last two years. While disconcerting, I should note that I have no car and have relied on rides to and from work from my father. His being retired assured I would always have necessary transportation and I've never missed a day of work. I have also remained living with him and his wife, along with her two (now adult) children.

Making the best outta things, Key West in May 2011

Well, my life is stagnant now. My life literally consists of working four days a week, Thursday through Sunday, about 40 hours worth. I make good money for the amount of work, however. I get rides to and from work. Between Sunday evening and Thursday night, I go about an hour away to my mother's house. Her and her husband live alone and work early hours until the evening. This gives me quiet alone time at her spacious and secluded home, just two minutes away from my younger sister, her husband and my niece and nephew. I haven't had a girlfriend since February, and that was also the last time I had coitus.

Stuffin' that bird GOOD

During my trip to Las Vegas last month with my mother, her husband and my grandmother, my mother mentioned how I could get a car faster, and get an affordable but decent place faster, if I moved in with her. At first I doubted the idea, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it would make. The soonest I will get my own car is when my father gives me his, which requires him and his wife getting a new one. This will not happen until after the New Year, at the earliest. If I found an affordable place to live myself, there are less options where I am now, and it would take longer than if I lived there.

Bottom line, I am in the process of transferring my job, and moving into my mother's house. This should take place tentatively around October 1st. I know it's embarrassing. No car. Moving from daddy's house to mommy...but it's the truth.

These past four years have brought so much change. In the past four years:

I took and passed a semester of college
My Air Force dreams were seen then came crashing down
My father remarried
My mother remarried
My sister married and had two children
My other sister married and had a baby girl
I lost my virginity
I've really worked for the first time in my life
My grandfather died

Last photo with Grandfather, September 11, 2010

Sister gets married, September 16, 2011

It's been so crazy. I feel a change coming. Within six months, I hope to have new job and education opportunities (although according to Bill Clinton the Romney/Ryan administration will make it harder to get Pell Grants), new living opportunities and a new social setting. I've even been talking to a nice girl I met out there.

I just felt like sharing this with all of you.

Thank you.
Mike "Reaganfan" N.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »

If you're working 40 hrs a week and live with parents, you should have enough money saved to buy a car, gasoline, and insurance. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. You'll feel much more independant once you can transport yourself.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »

If you're working 40 hrs a week and live with parents, you should have enough money saved to buy a car, gasoline, and insurance. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. You'll feel much more independant once you can transport yourself.

I think they pay $2.13/hour in restaurants in Ohio..
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »

Have you been watching The Big Bang Theory?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

I think they pay $2.13/hour in restaurants in Ohio..

It's also customary to tip. If you earn less than the full minimum wage, the restaurant must make up the difference.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »

Don't worry, son. I shall not comment on this photo.

Without a description, I thought you're a freaking groom
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »

I was hoping this thread would be about three sentences long, and instead say "I'm moving to San Francisco and becoming a liberal." Our little boy of the 1980s growing right up into the early 1990s Murphy Brown/Midnight Basketball era.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »

Does he know BBT is full of intellectuals in CA?

But seriously, change is good. Looking back 5 years, let alone 10, I didn't think I'd be where I am now. Changes, whether voluntary or forced, challenge us and I believe make us better and more rounded people.

There is no 'one' way to live your life.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »

1. You were in the Air Force? I didn't know that. Very impressive.

2. Coitus? Don't make it sound icky!

3. Who's the hottie? Please don't say your dad's wife.

Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »

God bless, and all the best in the future :-)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »

Since your age is not listed, I will not delve into this subject with you.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »

The man offered up three subjects for your consideration, Naso, not one.  I'm guessing the woman with you and your father is 'the adult child of your step-mother'?  Kind of titillating modern tale.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »

The man offered up three subjects for your consideration, Naso, not one.  I'm guessing the woman with you and your father is 'the adult child of your step-mother'?  Kind of titillating modern tale.

I'm betting she IS step-mommy.....but since opebo and I are old enough to know the answer, share, Michael, share.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »

I am an adult.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:35 PM »

That man is not my father, he's my good friend of eight years whom I travel with in Florida. The woman is certainly not my mother, if she were, I'd have MAJOR issues Wink
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »

Naso has a man with whom he travels in Florida? This thread just became more interesting than the Update.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies