YouGov polls 27 states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  YouGov polls 27 states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: YouGov polls 27 states  (Read 11943 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »

Maybe Sarah Palin could ask for a poll in Alaska just like she did around the same time four years ago (just to make sure that 80%+ still approved of her).
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »

I've just been to their website and it looks they only polled these 27 states this time.

Not all 50 ... Sad

I believe only AK, DE, ID and WY have not been polled for the presidential election. RI hasn't been polled since Feb 2011. Every other state has had at least one poll in the past year.

What about Arkansas, Lousiana and Mississippi? I don't recall having seen polls in those states.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »

I've just been to their website and it looks they only polled these 27 states this time.

Not all 50 ... Sad

I believe only AK, DE, ID and WY have not been polled for the presidential election. RI hasn't been polled since Feb 2011. Every other state has had at least one poll in the past year.

What about Arkansas, Lousiana and Mississippi? I don't recall having seen polls in those states.

There have been some, but they are 6 months to 1 year old.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »

Has anyone considered that perhaps, given that we have 50 polls quoting 95% confidence intervals, and that we consequently expect 2-3 outliers, the TN results might be one of them, or are we having too much fun making prejudiced statements about likely voters in the state?
The "confidence interval" is a random cutoff point low down on a bell curve, originally agreed on for scientific experiments for which a bell distribution of probabilities is a certainty. In such a bell distribution, a spot just within the "margin of error" is not perceptively more likely than a spot just outside it, both are infinitely more likely than a complete, how-the-hell-did-they-come-up-with-that outlier, and both are infinitely less likely than a result very near the true result.

Also, these are political "polls" taking unscientific subsamples of an actual, non-laboratory population, then unscientifically reweighted to at least somewhat match the pollster's notion of what a scientific subsample of the population, were one available, would look like. They are not scientific experiments.
And we're comparing polls taken now with election results in six weeks, anyhow - you can never know how much of the error is due to voters changing their minds or lying and how much is due to your bad polling.
Hence why pollsters' results don't actually match up with a Bell Curve distribution, and hence why, while it's a good shorthand remainder of the fact that even the best pollsters get it wrong sometimes, MoE lingo should not be taken literally.

Meh. I just need to get that off my chest once or twice every election season. Nothing personal. Anyways, as Ernest pointed out, the few GE polls we've had of the state so far, old as they are, mostly agree with this poll.
Andrew1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »

Not all 50 ... Sad

LA polled by Clarus, Oct 2011, MS polled by PPP, Nov 2011, AR polled by Hendrix college, March 2012, all showed not much change from 2008.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »

I would rather see a poll of SC, which I doubt anyone really considers to be a tossup, than a further poll of states that look right based on the averages of polls already in the DB.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

Game over for Mitt, eh ?

Well, it was a bad electoral year: boring in France, boring in the US Sad
Boring in Mexico too.
The Netherlands was funny but it wasn't so big.

Are you serious about supporting Romney? Not even Sarko or a majority of FN voters would.

I just want elections to be suspenseful and interesting.
Had I been Amercian, I would have voted for Obama, probably both in 2008 and 2012.
But, like in survivors, please make a difference between ideas and historical and political interest Wink
I'm a fan of Beria, you know Smiley
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »

Game over for Mitt, eh ?

Well, it was a bad electoral year: boring in France, boring in the US Sad
Boring in Mexico too.
The Netherlands was funny but it wasn't so big.

Are you serious about supporting Romney? Not even Sarko or a majority of FN voters would.

I just want elections to be suspenseful and interesting.
Had I been Amercian, I would have voted for Obama, probably both in 2008 and 2012.
But, like in survivors, please make a difference between ideas and historical and political interest Wink
I'm a fan of Beria, you know Smiley

hahaha, OK, allright. I think I'm able to make that difference.
PulaskiSkywayDriver
Rookie

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »

These seem spot on as to what we are seeing nationally right now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies