Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:22:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Students mocking Michelle Obama lunch mandate  (Read 3954 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:44 PM »
« edited: September 26, 2012, 08:27:06 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

By 2030, about half of America will be obese. States like Mississippi will lead the way with an expected 67% of them being obese. America is already viewed as something of a fat joke and will consider to be viewed that way until something is done. Tell me people whining about government telling them what they can and cannot eat - do you like the United States being viewed as a fat joke? Because those of us overseas consider you to be just that.

I'd much rather have America be considered "a fat joke" than it be a nanny state that prescribes precisely what you can and cannot eat.

In the Serengeti, the animals subscribe to a "nanny state" system. The Wilderness gives the antelopes, giraffes, zebras etc a certain amount of grass to eat. The Wilderness that is the Serengeti also gives the lions, cheetahs etc a certain amount of antelope, buffalo etc to eat. This is why the Sarengeti doesn't have any fat f*** animals roaming around. Just think of the school system as The Wilderness and your country won't be the laughingstock of the world.

What the hell is this. I don't even. English? I'm supposed to think of the school system as a jungle or something? So we should give kids a limited amount of food and have them fight over it like the Hunger Games or something? Or, since nature has chosen to gift us with Twinkies, we should all have Twinkies? Please rephrase in a way that approaches some form of logical coherent thought.

I'd much rather have America be considered "a fat joke" than it be a nanny state that prescribes precisely what you can and cannot eat.

Since schools are part of the government, they can set the can guidelines for what is served, since the food is paid for by the government. No one is stopping this kids from eating 4000 calories a day if they choose so, they just won't get served high calorie food at school.

I don't get how people think this is a law that outlaws certain foods, it isn't even close to that.

His specific phrasing gives the impression that he supports the government telling people what they can eat.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2012, 09:33:16 PM by 5280 »

Since schools are part of the government, they can set the can guidelines for what is served, since the food is paid for by the government. No one is stopping this kids from eating 4000 calories a day if they choose so, they just won't get served high calorie food at school.

I don't get how people think this is a law that outlaws certain foods, it isn't even close to that.
That's alot of fruits and veggies to be equivalent of 4000 calories, their large intestines couldn't handle all that fiber intake in a short setting.  Not enough proteins and red meat in a government school diet unless the school menu has nuts, grains and fish.  Majority of kids do not like fish and seafood as an alternative of red and white meat for that matter.

Lets be honest, do we want to see kids being hungry? Probably not, but banning families from bringing outside food is an atrocity. Individual choices at home is where it begins and if the kids parents can't make that happen, then they're in for a rude awakening.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »

I don't think most schools are going to ban home lunches, I've only seen example of one doing that. It's doubtful that would become a trend.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »

Why is this even an issue?
Mister Twister

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 07:02:28 AM by Mister Twister »

By 2030, about half of America will be obese. States like Mississippi will lead the way with an expected 67% of them being obese. America is already viewed as something of a fat joke and will consider to be viewed that way until something is done. Tell me people whining about government telling them what they can and cannot eat - do you like the United States being viewed as a fat joke? Because those of us overseas consider you to be just that.

In the Serengeti, the animals subscribe to a "nanny state" system. The Wilderness gives the antelopes, giraffes, zebras etc a certain amount of grass to eat. The Wilderness that is the Serengeti also gives the lions, cheetahs etc a certain amount of antelope, buffalo etc to eat. This is why the Sarengeti doesn't have any fat f*** animals roaming around. Just think of the school system as The Wilderness and your country won't be the laughingstock of the world.

What the hell is this. I don't even. English? I'm supposed to think of the school system as a jungle or something? So we should give kids a limited amount of food and have them fight over it like the Hunger Games or something? Or, since nature has chosen to gift us with Twinkies, we should all have Twinkies? Please rephrase in a way that approaches some form of logical coherent thought.

Uh, the Serengeti is NOT a jungle. Do you not know anything about Africa? This is exactly why American schools need to stop giving junk food away at lunches.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »

A school banning students from bringing homemade lunches is a huge deal because it means that students/their parents do not have the right to control their own diet and it instead is subject to authorities while in school. People don't like to be controlled in a way they feel is totally unnecessary.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 05:30:28 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 05:34:35 AM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Uh, the Sarangeti is NOT a jungle. Do you not know anything about Africa? This is exactly why American schools need to stop giving junk food away at lunches.

I know enough to know that you just misspelled Serengeti. Are you saying that junk food makes people stupid or are you just avoiding the question?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 05:44:47 AM »

Because of Homeland Security - the Brown Bag Lunch could contain a bomb, gun, or other weapon.  Even a very firm unripened banana could be hazardous.
Mister Twister

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »

Uh, the Sarangeti is NOT a jungle. Do you not know anything about Africa? This is exactly why American schools need to stop giving junk food away at lunches.

I know enough to know that you just misspelled Serengeti. Are you saying that junk food makes people stupid or are you just avoiding the question?

Uh, I only misspelled "Serengeti" because of cognitive dissonance. I was eating spaghetti, you see. My apologies. That is why I ended up merging the words together. But you are dodging the issue at hand by attacking my spelling of Serengeti.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 08:31:42 AM by Senator Sbane »

Wait a second now, how many schools are banning kids from bringing their own lunch? And what if you don't qualify for free meals, are you still banned from bringing your own lunch? I am going to have to assume this is just a bunch of crap unless I see some proof this is being forced on schools nationwide, as opposed to some random school district doing it.

Of course the calorie limit is nationwide, and perfectly rational. Sure, an exception for athletes can be made but the rest of the kids should not be eating more than 800 calories for lunch! I don't get how this is controversial. If they still feel hungry after 800 calories, they need help! I'm serious here. One of the first signs of type 2 diabetes is polyphagia. They should go see a doctor rather than eat more food.

While you guys are so epically concerned about entering a 1984 like state, America is going through an actual crisis rather than an imagined one. That crisis is childhood obesity. Do you understand what will happen to those kids if they develop hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol while in high school? Do you guys understand the consequences of that on the nation?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 08:31:59 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 08:37:15 AM by Former President Polnut »

Apart from the point that Michelle Obama can't mandate anything... the right usually finds a place where someone has gone over the top and decided that the situation is wide-spread and indicative of evil democrats. To think otherwise requires common sense and critical thought and... yeah. But they're two separate issues anyway, using the school to teach healthy eating is a good thing and obviously banning school lunches is stupid (but I'd also like to see evidence that would merit the righteous indignation of some).

Considering there often is a connection between income and health, as well as the quality of food available - I take it they're happy to pay for these kids' medical bills when the time comes.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »

Wait... telling kids they should eat healthy... and they object to it?!?!

Wait, I need to alert the authorities.... just wait right there...

Typical right-wing paranoia... 'omg, suggesting that kids shouldn't eat lard coated lard is an attack on our freedoms to give our kids heart disease and obesity!!!'... Besides, the rules would be applied by local school boards... you want to make a pathetic display... go harass them.

Only in America would adults support kids acting like...well, kids, rather than telling them to tough it out and eat their veggies. Probably a bunch of fat fukcs themselves.
Link
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Man, it's almost like schools are prisons.

Why do you think I left public school and graduated via a charter high school?

I left private school and graduated from public school... better education.  There were a lot more rules and regulations at private school.  It was heavy on the fundy Christian stuff... pretty light on the science stuff.  Had to make a change... had to.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »

Why do you think I left public school and graduated via a charter high school?

I always assumed it was because you couldn't handle real school.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »

I have no sympathy for the fatties.  They should amend the rules to allow multiple servings for athletes, however, which seem to be a lot of the complaints.

Kids who walk to school also deserve an exemption.

Serious question - by dismissing the personal freedoms-based concerns as frivolous and politically-motivated - and ignoring the issue - are we overlooking a legitimate concern about child hunger?
I think it depends on the ban on bringing lunches, I agree with the idea of providing more food for athletes, and the ban on bringing lunches in I will reject immediatly, considering allergies and such. The problem is most of the people throw-out some of their food then complain about hunger, which is the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »

I have no sympathy for the fatties.  They should amend the rules to allow multiple servings for athletes, however, which seem to be a lot of the complaints.

Serious question - by dismissing the personal freedoms-based concerns as frivolous and politically-motivated - and ignoring the issue - are we overlooking a legitimate concern about child hunger?

If the child is getting most of their nutrition from that one meal, then yes it is a concern. Otherwise 850 calories are way more than enough if you are leading the lifestyle that the vast majority of kids are. Childhood obesity is a much, much bigger problem in America than childhood hunger. I won't minimize the latter problem but let's keep things in perspective.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »

They're called freedom fries, not freedom carrots.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »

If the child is getting most of their nutrition from that one meal, then yes it is a concern. Otherwise 850 calories are way more than enough if you are leading the lifestyle that the vast majority of kids are. Childhood obesity is a much, much bigger problem in America than childhood hunger. I won't minimize the latter problem but let's keep things in perspective.

Yes, but if anychild if starving it doesn't work as a program, but noone Should starve, so I do support it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

Don't they get food stamps though?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »

This shouldn't be an issue. Are people so helpless these days that the state has to provide them a proper diet and ban them from bringing bagged lunches? What a sad state we are in if that's the case.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »

The problem is that it Is an issue, and pointing out how dumb of an issue it is shows why we have to fix it.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 04:30:43 PM by cope1989 »

I think I can explain this in a way that is palatable to conservatives.

Poor people have subsidized grocery money in the form of food stamps. They are being entrusted with that money, so they are also expected to follow guidelines and actually buy healthy food instead of beer and cigarettes. Sound right?

Children are also eating heavily subsidized lunches at school everyday. So if the government is paying to feed them, shouldn't the students also be required to eat food that follows standard nutrition guidelines?

Bottom line, don't complain about your freedom to eat junkfood if you want the government to subsidize your junkfood.

But hey, let's keep it in perspective, folks! I thought Romney and the GOP wanted this campaign to be about big issues and big ideas! Is that what they actually care about most these days?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:39 AM »

Hey look, those clever kids made another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o99C0ezXIQ
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 05:52:32 AM »

Of course the calorie limit is nationwide, and perfectly rational. Sure, an exception for athletes can be made but the rest of the kids should not be eating more than 800 calories for lunch! I don't get how this is controversial. If they still feel hungry after 800 calories, they need help! I'm serious here. One of the first signs of type 2 diabetes is polyphagia. They should go see a doctor rather than eat more food.

You seem to be missing the point. This isn't a matter of the appropriate caloric intake of the meal itself. More to the point, regulations and health standards on school lunches have made the food almost entirely unpalatable. The last order of french fries I ate from school were baked and contained neither trans fats or salt. They were slimy, chewy, and completely devoid of any nourishment. I wouldn't accept $1.50 to eat that poison, much less surrender a $1.50 of my own to eat it. These kids aren't getting enough to eat at school because their options are either ~800 calories of disgusting pseudo-food or nothing. 90% my school stopped buying lunch in the cafeteria, to combat this problem they banned off-campus lunch. So it continues...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There was a very bright naturalist from the 1800s that had this idea about natural selection...

Put simply, childhood obesity is only a collective problem if you subscribe to the belief that we should be responsible for one another's health and health care, which I do not. I do, however, believe that the government has a place in raising awareness, which is the key to any desired social change.

Ex. The percentage of people who smoke cigarettes is down, particularly among younger people. We didn't accomplish this by intentionally and unconstitutionally inflating the price of tobacco products. No, we spent 15 years telling children that "smoking is gross, and makes you smell bad, and makes you slow, and no one will like you, and you'll get in trouble, and you'll get addicted, and you'll eventually wither up and die!". There were PSAs everywhere, D.A.R.E. would come to your school and talk about the evils of tobacco for hours on end, they'd show you rotting lungs, people with holes in their throat, all varieties of cancer-ridden horror. You'd be a sick bastard to want to smoke after that trip.

Would this model really be so difficult to port over to the obesity crisis? Start writing the animated commercials, make the messages easy to digest: "Over-eating will make you unattractive and snobby, moralistic cool kids on skateboards won't want to be your friend if you try and share your sandwich". Boot up a coalition of under-worked, over-paid police officers to talk to young people about the dangers of obesity; make sure the name is something innocent, but only vaguely related to the function it serves like: "Leveraging the Aesthetic Rewards of Dieting" (L.A.R.D). Print the posters and plaster the hallways of every school in America: BIG is BAD! FAT is FAIL!

Naturally, this program will probably eat into countless hours of valuable science, math, art, and history studies...but that is a small price to pay to ensure that our children know the grave truth lurking beneath the milk of their Captain Crunch. What is our alternative, trusting the parents?

Or maybe the government can screw off and go back to doing what it does best, nothing.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 07:30:53 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2012, 07:33:08 AM by Senator Sbane »

The first part of your post amuses me. So you want an excess of salt and saturated fats on your food? That's the problem dude! I can't vouch for the quality of the ingrediets (probably the same sh**tty quality as ever) but baking French fries is the right move. And you said they were chewy...that means its full of fiber, something else Americans don't eat enough of. Eating healthy food is never going to be an enjoyable experience. Our brains just aren't wired that way. We want quick calories, fats, refined sugars etc because that would help us survive in the wild. We don't live in the wild anymore, we live in a society of excess.

I completely agree about the comparison with tobacco. But still selling unhealthy food in the cafeteria while telling kids to eat healthy is akin to stocking vending machines with cigarettes on campus while giving DARE speeches on how bad cigarettes are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies