If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:50:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur?  (Read 3380 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: September 27, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »

Unetaneh Tokef Kedushat Hayom.  Behold the holy power of this day, it is awesome and full of dread.

If you were Jewish, attending Yom Kippur services is the one thing you do not skip out on.  Period.  The point I stopped going to Yom Kippur is about the point that I realized I wasn't really Jewish anymore at all.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »

Unetaneh Tokef Kedushat Hayom.  Behold the holy power of this day, it is awesome and full of dread.

If you were Jewish, attending Yom Kippur services is the one thing you do not skip out on.  Period.  The point I stopped going to Yom Kippur is about the point that I realized I wasn't really Jewish anymore at all.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's always been my favorite part of the service, along with Kol Nidre.

I always had an issue with Unetaneh Tokef.  It implies predestination, which doesn't seem very fitting with the religion otherwise.

Kol Nidre is fascinating.  The prayer begging God to release one from promises one was unable to keep, it is a favorite of anti-Semites saying that Jews don't have to keep their deals.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »

Um...there's some pretty fundamental, important differences.  The emphasis on prayer in a holy language as opposed to praying in the vernacular (one that requires at least being able to sound out a ridiculous script), centuries of custom and tradition worked into the very fabric of the Jewish liturgy that is utterly at odds with what one would guess, the very confusing ethnicity/religion fusion...There's a lot of weird stuff going on in Judaism.

Anyway, I'm off to go listen to a Youtube video of some jackass in a tallit blow a shofar because somewhere deep inside I feel it's a necessary part of starting the new year.

Time to see if there's a video of some idiot passing out trying to do a tekiah gedolah!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »

For the record, I see a considerable difference between a person having Ashkenazi or Sephardic ethnic descent and being an automatic "Jew."  Though Judaism might consider a person as such, it's absurd to take, say, a Jewish convert to Christianity and claim that he is still a Jew.

EDIT:  And it also raises the question of what happens when that belief collides with Islam's patrilinear belief that the child of a Muslim man is a Muslim.  Child of a Jewish woman and a Muslim man?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies