If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:43:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: If you were raised Jewish, do you think you would recognize Yom Kippur?  (Read 3390 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 28, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »

If you were Jewish, attending Yom Kippur services is the one thing you do not skip out on.  Period.  The point I stopped going to Yom Kippur is about the point that I realized I wasn't really Jewish anymore at all.

Well as said, I'd almost certainly have converted to Christianity anyway so that would apply.
You would still be Jewish though. Anyone whose mother is a Jew is a Jew, belief has nothing to do with it.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2012, 11:44:02 AM by Proud Commrade of New Leningrad »

If you were Jewish, attending Yom Kippur services is the one thing you do not skip out on.  Period.  The point I stopped going to Yom Kippur is about the point that I realized I wasn't really Jewish anymore at all.

Well as said, I'd almost certainly have converted to Christianity anyway so that would apply.
You would still be Jewish though. Anyone whose mother is a Jew is a Jew, belief has nothing to do with it.

I really dislike "ethnoreligion" and basically refuse to recognize it. Also based on this logic what happens if a girl raised Jewish converts and then gets married and has her own kids that she raises Christian. Are those kids also Jewish even though no one in the family would identify as a Jew?

Yes. There are plenty of Jews whose beliefs completly contradict the established beliefs. Some Jews are even atheists.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies