Good news for Democrats in PA: 99% of voters say they have a photo ID
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:34:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Good news for Democrats in PA: 99% of voters say they have a photo ID
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Good news for Democrats in PA: 99% of voters say they have a photo ID  (Read 1140 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:14:54 AM »

2 polls say the same:

Quinnipiac

"While judges and politicians debate Pennsylvania's voter ID measure, voters are solidly in support of the measure, 62 - 35 percent," Brown said. And 99 percent of voters say they believe they have the necessary documents to cast a ballot."

Question 47d.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/presidential-swing-states-%28fl-oh-and-pa%29/release-detail?ReleaseID=1800

Franklin & Marshall College

About seven in eight voters (87 percent) answered "true" when asked if the state requires a photo ID to vote. Almost all voters (99 percent) said they have a valid photo ID. Nearly six in 10 (59 percent) favor requiring one and nearly half (46 percent) strongly favor it. Of the people in favor, more than half (54 percent) say they would still favor the requirement even if many eligible voters would be prevented from voting because they will not have one.

Almost four in 10 (39 percent) strongly or somewhat oppose the requirement.

The poll of 632 registered voters has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.

http://republicanherald.com/news/poll-shows-majority-of-pennsylvanians-support-voter-id-law-1.1378869
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »

It's not hard to get a photo id here, period.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »

It might not be valid, however.  I can get a photo id, a check cashing card, fairly easily in Philadelphia.  It's not valid for PA voting.  Same with a welfare photo id. 
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »

The problem is it's a poll tax.  If they issued easily accessible, free photo-id voter-id cards, that'd be one thing.  But they aren't.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

It might not be valid, however.  I can get a photo id, a check cashing card, fairly easily in Philadelphia.  It's not valid for PA voting.  Same with a welfare photo id. 

You can get a free one at the driver testing centers.......and I oppose poll taxes in any way shape or form, Spanish Moss Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »

Yeah, this poll does nothing for me, really. Just because these people seem to think that they have correct ID doesn't mean that they do. If anything, it means that they aren't actually going to pay attention to the new rules because they think they're already covered. And odds are, a ton of them actually aren't.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:16 PM »

I still can't believe a welfare id isn't valid. That is naked politics at its lowest level.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »

To be fair, if you don't have a photo ID you probably weren't going to vote in the first place. I think the real issue is that people might leave their IDs at home, get hassled at the polling place after a long wait in line, and then think returning to vote isn't worth the hassle. And that's something that cuts across all party lines. I forget stuff all the time. Tongue
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 03:51:01 AM »

You can get a free one at the driver testing centers.......and I oppose poll taxes in any way shape or form, Spanish Moss Smiley

Then New York sucks.
Link
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »

Good news for Democrats in PA: 99% of voters say they THINK they have an approved photo ID

I fixed you post.

The average person on the street probably doesn't realize the right wing machine is trying to disenfranchise them.  They probably think they can stroll down with their expired library card and an electric bill and vote the way they have for decades.  We will only know the true result of Romney and Co's illegal electioneering after election day.

I truly hope 99% of Dems have the necessary ID, but there is no way of knowing at this time.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »

You'd have to be a pretty stupid fellow not to have one.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »

So, presumably, you don't have one?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

So, presumably, you don't have one?

No, I have 2 of them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »

Good news for Democrats in PA: 99% of voters say they THINK they have an approved photo ID

I fixed you post.

The average person on the street probably doesn't realize the right wing machine is trying to disenfranchise them.  They probably think they can stroll down with their expired library card and an electric bill and vote the way they have for decades.  We will only know the true result of Romney and Co's illegal electioneering after election day.

I truly hope 99% of Dems have the necessary ID, but there is no way of knowing at this time.

Doesn't a 'valid' photo id have to have a correct current address? How many people with non-expired drivers licenses have moved from the address listed thereon? And many of those have re-registered to vote at their new address as registering is a lot more available places (e.g. the library) than the BMV.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »

Most polling locations don't even require that. At my old one in Massachusetts, all you had to do is give them your name. No cards or electric bill required. That's a ridiculously lax standard.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »

In Minnesota currently you must also verify your address in addition to giving your name.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 11:45:55 AM by Grumps »

The average person on the street probably doesn't realize the right wing machine is trying to disenfranchise them.  They probably think they can stroll down with their expired library card and an electric bill and vote the way they have for decades.  We will only know the true result of Romney and Co's illegal electioneering after election day.

Most polling locations don't even require that. At my old one in Massachusetts, all you had to do is give them your name. No cards or electric bill required. That's a ridiculously lax standard.

That's the way it was at my polling place MM.  In fact the old bubbas that worked it knew Mrs. M3 and I since we always voted within the first 5 people......but just a name and you were good to go.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

I strongly believe that the voter ID laws will have no descernible impact on the election results, despite Democratic protestations.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »

Yeah, all I have to do is tell them who I am and sign next to my registration signature... so if you know someone and have their signature, you could learn to forge it well enough and vote.

But that kind of thing virtually never happens, certainly on no level where this is even reasonable to debate as an issue.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »

What perplexes me about this is that Republicans have infinitely more to lose by making voting laws a partisan issue than Democrats do.  Don't they realize that blue states can retaliate in the future? 

Just pass National Popular Vote in enough states at the next opportunity.  Then have CA, NY and IL change state laws to make voter registration the default for everyone over 18 and conduct elections by automatically mailing a ballot to every adult social security number in the state.  A president to the right of Obama could never be elected again in that world.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »

Don't you need to have a driver's license- or at least that's the most common way? So voting is mainly restricted to those who can drive??? And to pass the test you need a car- this seems silly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 12:53:13 AM »

Don't you need to have a driver's license- or at least that's the most common way? So voting is mainly restricted to those who can drive??? And to pass the test you need a car- this seems silly.
I think in most states you can get a non-driving ID at the DMV also.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:29 AM »

The solution to this "problem" is obviously to automatically register every citizen to vote on their 18th birthday and send them a free ID card in the mail. Democrats should get behind this and outflank the Republicans on this issue.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 02:09:24 AM »

The solution to this "problem" is obviously to automatically register every citizen to vote on their 18th birthday and send them a free ID card in the mail. Democrats should get behind this and outflank the Republicans on this issue.

I'd love to see that idea gain traction. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:06 AM »

Injunction granted.  Fox.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies