Primary Process Proposals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:55:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Primary Process Proposals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Primary Process Proposals  (Read 1481 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »

What would your proposal be to change the primary process in America?

Here's mine (copying from what I posted on FB):
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »

Is Rudolph "Freedom is Authority" Giuliani really to be missed?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

Is Rudolph "Freedom is Authority" Giuliani really to be missed?

Nothing says freedom like indefinite detention without charge or trial.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »

I like how the states are staggered out now. It gives each state its own significance. I wouldn't mind seeing the order rotate each election cycle though.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2013, 10:07:26 PM by Rockefeller »

Get rid of the primary process...allow party bosses to select the nominees Tongue

On a more serious note, a national jungle primary doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Have a nonpartisan election between all legally registered candidates sometime in the late spring/early summer.  If no candidate receives a majority, the top two candidates advance to a "run-off" election in November.

Under this type of system, Obama and Clinton would have emerged victorious from the jungle primary (as they received the two highest number of votes).  Thus, Clinton and Obama would have had to compete head-to-head for the presidency in November. 
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:34:00 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2013, 02:35:48 AM by Jbrase »

Get rid of the primary process...allow party bosses to select the nominees Tongue

And insure we get stuck with candidates who have no souls and do whatever the machines tell them to? Tongue

I honestly prefer the system as is. Tradition dictates that certain states are the first in their regions. After them the others come in new and exciting random orders each cycle. I can think of no reason for Iowa not to be first every time Grin
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »

Under this type of system, Obama and Clinton would have emerged victorious from the jungle primary (as they received the two highest number of votes).  Thus, Clinton and Obama would have had to compete head-to-head for the presidency in November. 
Once McCain clinched the nomination, turnout drastically dropped in the GOP primary, with many voting in the Democratic primary to try and prevent Obama from winning. Therefore, it's hard saying how it would have gone. However, I don't agree with this because I don't like the idea of one side even having the remote possibility of being shut out of an election.

I wouldn't mind seeing the order rotate each election cycle though.
It would. Smiley
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 03:01:57 AM »

And insure we get stuck with candidates who have no souls and do whatever the machines tell them to? Tongue

That would be better in the current (awful) system, in which we have these two year long campaigns that involve candidates first trying to appease the base, then turning around and appealing to swing voters.  We're actually driving away some potentially talented candidates because of how awful the campaign process is.  And of course, the party primary system for Congressional races has led to perverse incentives for members, which artificially enhances polarization, and has led (in part) to the current dysfunction there.

So yeah, I'd prefer we go back to smoke filled rooms and do away with primaries over the current system (for all races, not just president).  But perhaps better would be something like California's Top Two system, or better than that would be to do it all in one step: Instant runoff voting with no party nominees.  Granted, that's easier for statewide races.  The cost of presidential campaigns probably makes instant runoff with no party nominees at that level unworkable.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:19:52 AM »

Does anyone like the Ohio plan where there would be 5 primary dates? Small states, medium states, then 3 sets of large states that rotate every primary cycle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies