Time to dump the Electoral College (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:10:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Time to dump the Electoral College (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time to dump the Electoral College  (Read 8781 times)
Politico
YaBB God
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:16 AM »
« edited: September 27, 2012, 12:06:18 AM by Politico »

Every state has a voice as it is right now. If we changed to a PV setup, people would only campaign in places like CA, NY, TX and FL in order to drive up turnout. Many states would be neglected.

As for your theory about the Democrats having a lock on the EC, have you not noticed that traditionally Republican states have enjoyed an increase in their share of the EC over the past few years while the opposite has held true in Democratic bastions? It is largely because people are voting with their feet, so to speak. The Democratic Party has veered too far to the left. Too many Democratic policies in too many places are hampering economic growth. People are leaving for states that have better opportunities (i.e., usually the more Republican states).

Just because a lot of Hispanics have yet to figure out that the reason why they or their ancestors had to leave their native land is because of anti-growth, left-wing economic policies that does not mean they will not catch on eventually. I know plenty of Hispanics who now recognize this. Rubio is just the beginning.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:09:53 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 12:22:09 AM by Politico »

Every state has a voice as it is right now. If we changed to a PV setup, people would only campaign in places like CA, NY, TX and FL in order to drive up turnout. Many states would be neglected.

Good thing no states are being neglected under the current system

States that are wholly satisfied or wholly unsatisfied with the incumbency are not neglected.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »

Good thing no states are being neglected under the current system

States that are wholly satisfied or wholly unsatisfied with the incumbency are not neglected.

What does this even mean?

Fixed.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:06:51 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 02:11:33 AM by Politico »

I think the only way the EC would be done away with would be a 269-269 tie where the popular vote winner loses the presidency due to partisanship in the House (I had this happen once in President Elect 1988, but I cannot remember the details). Otherwise, I think there is no chance of it being changed. If 2000 was unable to do it, nothing short of the aforementioned will do the job.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies