Time to dump the Electoral College (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:40:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Time to dump the Electoral College (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time to dump the Electoral College  (Read 8786 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« on: September 27, 2012, 12:27:43 AM »

I'm against the electoral voting system.  It needs to be abolished, and a congressional district voting system like Nebraska and Maine ought to be enacted.  Or use the house district map for the votes.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »

I'm against the electoral voting system.  It needs to be abolished, and a congressional district voting system like Nebraska and Maine ought to be enacted.  Or use the house district map for the votes.

This is a worse idea than the current Electoral College, because of gerrymandering.  For example: North Carolina, which cast more votes for Obama than McCain, yet McCain won 10 of its 13 current districts. 
I am however against the winner take all conclusion the electoral college uses.  The candidate you voted for in your state and county, should be counted, not canceled out.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:36 AM »

I think the only way the EC would be done away with would be a 269-269 tie where the popular vote winner loses the presidency due to partisanship in the House (I had this happen once in President Elect 1988, but I cannot remember the details). Otherwise, I think there is no chance of it being changed. If 2000 was unable to do it, nothing short of the aforementioned will do the job.
A tie will likely never happen, given states will lose and gain electoral votes in the future which will throw off odds.  We can all agree that the EC needs to be abolished sooner than later.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies