anybody here up for the idea of a pro-israel third party.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:09:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  anybody here up for the idea of a pro-israel third party.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: anybody here up for the idea of a pro-israel third party.  (Read 3988 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »

One thing I've found worrying about the democratic party is its increasing antisemitism. You have people like Gus Savage or Jesse Jackson making incredibly anti Semitic comments and the recognition of Israel taken out of the platform. As I've said earlier, I'm worried about the clients taking over the party. Why do they have to act like a bunch of ingrates? Do they not know that american Jews have played a crucial role in liberal victories such as the civil rights act or the right to choose?

So the idea is that pro-Israel but otherwise liberal democrats (like a Lieberman or Koch type) should form a third party. Such a party I think would be viable and could win over a lot of guilty evangelical Christians that normally vote republican.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

Not likely to happen.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »

ain't two enough?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »

Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »

One thing I've found worrying about the democratic party is its increasing antisemitism. You have people like Gus Savage or Jesse Jackson making incredibly anti Semitic comments and the recognition of Israel taken out of the platform. As I've said earlier, I'm worried about the clients taking over the party. Why do they have to act like a bunch of ingrates? Do they not know that american Jews have played a crucial role in liberal victories such as the civil rights act or the right to choose?

So the idea is that pro-Israel but otherwise liberal democrats (like a Lieberman or Koch type) should form a third party. Such a party I think would be viable and could win over a lot of guilty evangelical Christians that normally vote republican.

I don't know about the specific comments to which you are referring, so I can't comment directly on those.  However - be careful with your analysis, while the staunch right wing Israeli party Likud and their crony lobbyists in Washington would have you believe otherwise - being anti-Israel/anti-Zionism DOES NOT inherently equate to anti-Jew.

I abhor the state (NOT the people) of Israel, and am staunchly anti-Zionism, much like these groups of individuals:

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/ (Jews against Zionism)
http://www.nkusa.org/ (Neturei Karta, another Jewish, anti-Zionism organization)

Actually, one of the many reasons I'm against Zionism is because I believe it is very bad for the Jewish community, in terms of how the Zionist movement has created antagonisms between Muslims and Jews which didn't previously exist (during the inquisition, the Muslims were the only friends they had!).  I'm no holocaust denier, I hate fascism, neo-nazism, and any form of ethnocentrism or racism, I'm extremely concerned for the welfare of Jewish individuals, and am vehemently opposed and disgusted by antisemitism.  

That being said, I just recognize that the existence of that state has created far more problems than solutions, and that the right wing government of Israel is guilty of crimes against humanity.

But if I go out in public and say I'm against the Israeli government, or particularly if I were a notable person, I'd get RAILED for hating Jews - when the OPPOSITE is true!  I'm just wondering if those comments they made are the kind I would make, rather than anti-Jewish comments.  My distaste for Israel is a distaste for a certain state apparatus.  NOT for Jews, in ANY sense.  I support the movements in Israel for peace and those Israelis which comprise of that movement, just as I support the Palestinian peace movement (and equally abhor terrorism as a response to Israel's war crimes).

And really, there's no need for a pro-Israeli third party.  Likud has Washington in their back pocket, and the overwhelming majority of elected officials in both parties are Zionist.  To call for a Zionist third party would be like calling for a third party that exists for the sole purpose of being *for* the War on Drugs.  It's not needed, the political currency is already overwhelmingly there.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

Oh god, concern trolls
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »

A third pro-Israel Party?  I'd settle for one party that actually a reasonable approach to Palestine.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

Let's just cut out all the middle men and inaugurate Bibi while we are at it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »

No. K? Thx.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »

Apparently not.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »

It would be nice to have a pro-Israel third party in the sense that it would be nice to have a party that corresponds exactly to my political beliefs, but the Democrats are not becoming more anti-Semitic (or more anti-Israel, for that matter) and if they were considering political realities folks like the ones you mentioned would be slowly joining the GOP, not forming a third party which would crash and burn. (I notice that while you mention Lieberman and Koch, you didn't mention the many, many pro-Zionists that remain in the Democratic Party).

I don't know about the specific comments to which you are referring, so I can't comment directly on those.  However - be careful with your analysis, while the staunch right wing Israeli party Likud and their crony lobbyists in Washington would have you believe otherwise - being anti-Israel/anti-Zionism DOES NOT inherently equate to anti-Jew.

I've had a similar conversation with FallenMorgan -- while I don't deny that you're not anti-Semitic, and that anti-Zionism does not necessarily equal anti-Semitism, it's still important for you to understand that the two of them are inextricably linked, particularly in the Arab World where they go hand in hand, but also in the Western World where they are frequently linked, and that it's very difficult to actively support one of the two and not at least provide succor to the other.

I abhor the state (NOT the people) of Israel, and am staunchly anti-Zionism, much like these groups of individuals:

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/ (Jews against Zionism)
http://www.nkusa.org/ (Neturei Karta, another Jewish, anti-Zionism organization)

Doesn't say much; ask Ettore Ovazza or Lucas Mangope (though obviously those are extreme examples). The vast majority of Jews support Israel (obviously).

Actually, one of the many reasons I'm against Zionism is because I believe it is very bad for the Jewish community, in terms of how the Zionist movement has created antagonisms between Muslims and Jews which didn't previously exist (during the inquisition, the Muslims were the only friends they had!).

Well, Zionism has given Jews a homeland where they actually constitute a majority; their alternative was remaining in areas where anti-Semitic sentiment ran high. I would also argue Arab nationalism is far more responsible than Zionism for creating antagonisms, but that's all history; it's over and finished with and the main characters are all sleeping in their graves...

I'm no holocaust denier, I hate fascism, neo-nazism, and any form of ethnocentrism or racism, I'm extremely concerned for the welfare of Jewish individuals, and am vehemently opposed and disgusted by antisemitism.

Good.  

That being said, I just recognize that the existence of that state has created far more problems than solutions, and that the right wing government of Israel is guilty of crimes against humanity.

This, on the other hand, is debatable at best.

But if I go out in public and say I'm against the Israeli government, or particularly if I were a notable person, I'd get RAILED for hating Jews - when the OPPOSITE is true!

Because many (I want to say a majority, but I don't know where I'd find actual statistical evidence, so I won't) notable anti-Zionists are anti-Semites, obviously doing so would bring suspicion of anti-Semitism on you.

Likud has Washington in their back pocket

Wouldn't we have recognized East Jerusalem as being part of Israel (at the very least) if this were true?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »

I'd settle for a centrist party that would likely be pro-Israel like the vast majority of people in this country.

As a socially liberal, economically conservative Hawk, it's a lonely day in politics.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 10:08:00 PM by King »

OP actually has a good idea folks.  A pro-Israel Christian left third party would be a good way to bring social conservatives toward the center economically and end the whole "voting against self interest" thing in poor rural areas.  It would end the Republican party from using wedge issues to force gridlock and allow moderates and libertarians to thrive in that party.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:41 AM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 12:40:19 AM »

Anti-semites, all of you!
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »

I'd settle for a centrist party that would likely be pro-Israel like the vast majority of people in this country.

As a socially liberal, economically conservative Hawk, it's a lonely day in politics.
i'll just leave this here
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/millman/the-democrats-are-tom-friedmans-conservative-party/
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies