Chinese “American Peril”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:18:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chinese “American Peril”
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chinese “American Peril”  (Read 507 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:21:04 PM »

From any Sinologists or Chinese posters who have ties with the country, is there a Chinese version of the “Yellow Peril” myth in Chinese sociopolitical discourse? I’m not referring to “sane” or legitimate geopolitical worries but of laughable negative fetishization of the United States. Is that a thing?

I’d like both Jaichind and Dashushu to be one of the posters explaining if this is a thing or not.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »

I would say a good portion of popular Chinese history of the 1820s to 1945 is cloaked in mythology when it comes to the intentions of foreign (Western and Japan) powers.  The Chinese narrative is that the foreign powers, especially, Japan, was determined to dismember China and turn China into a colony like India after it is broken up as a primary policy goal of these foreign powers.  Chinese history tells of a Japan that since 1868 was determined to completely conquer China and all moves it made from 1868-1945 is toward that end. 

Of course the reality is that the goals of these foreign power were much more limited to economic goals and locking out their rivals from gaining an unfair economic advantage in the Chinese market.  Japan also had much more limited goals and only a series of policy miscalculations lead to direct military adventure in China starting in 1931 and further expansion only took place as a way to achieve limited goals and extricate itself from a quagmire.

This mythological narratives are mostly a way to justify how China lost so much ground and power relative to foreign powers.   What the popular Chinese narrative does not want to admit is: We have fallen so far in the international power pecking order an set of Western powers and Japan with very limited goals and limited resources wiped us good.  Instead it is easier to believe: we were whopped because our foreign enemies were determined to completely take us over and only our determined resistance stopped that from taking place.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 05:14:09 PM by jaichind »

Speaking of "Yellow Peril" there was actually an "underground" book written in 1991 called "Yellow Peril" by a 1989 pro-Democracy activist in 1990 and published in 1991.  I remember reading it over 1991 summer break when my uncle got a copy.  

The book predicts economic stagnation for the PRC after the 1989 crisis which leads to the decline in the morale and power of the PLA.  Thne the DPP wins power in the ROC but the KMT and ROC armed forces forces the new DPP regime into an attack on the PRC to retake Mainland China.  This leads to the almost complete breakdown of the PLA in the battlefield followed by the PLA using tactical nukes in desperation.  The ROC armed forces then takes over PLA bases with tactical nukes and strikes back.  USA and USSR then launches a massive nuke strike to disable all nuclear weapons on PRC before a strategic nuclear exchange breaks out in this renewed Chinese civil war.  This leads to the breakdown of the political social and economic order in Mainland China with several hundred million Chinese fleeing into other countries to escape starvation.   They march across the Eurasian Continent into Mainland Europe,  Japan bribes these refugees with transport to the USA in return for sparing Japan as place where they escape to.  Millions of these Chinese refugees are killed but many hundreds of  millions make it through causing a world wide catastrophy.

This book was sort of a revenge on CCP for the 1989 crackdown saying "you crush our movement your will will suffer in your stagnation and collapse." Of course things did not work out that way.  Due to CCP disastrous One Child Policy the main problem going forward would be under-population in my view.    
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »

Speaking of "Yellow Peril" there was actually an "underground" book written in 1991 called "Yellow Peril" by a 1989 pro-Democracy activist in 1990 and published in 1991.  I remember reading it over 1991 summer break when my uncle got a copy. 

The book predicts economic stagnation for the PRC after the 1989 crisis which leads to the decline in the morale and power of the PLA.  Thne the DPP wins power in the ROC but the KMT and ROC armed forces forces the new DPP regime into an attack on the PRC to retake Mainland China.  This leads to the almost complete breakdown of the PLA in the battlefield followed by the PLA using tactical nukes in desperation.  The ROC armed forces then takes over PLA bases with tactical nukes and strikes back.  USA and USSR then launches a massive nuke strike to disable all nuclear weapons on PRC before a strategic nuclear exchange breaks out in this renewed Chinese civil war.  This leads to the breakdown of the political social and economic order in Mainland China with several hundred million Chinese fleeing into other countries to escape starvation.   They march across the Eurasian Continent into Mainland Europe,  Japan bribes these refugees with transport to the USA in return for sparing Japan as place where they escape to.  Millions of these Chinese refugees are killed but many hundreds of  millions make it through causing a world wide catastrophy.

This book was sort of a revenge on CCP for the 1989 crackdown saying "you crush our movement your will will suffer in your stagnation and collapse." Of course things did not work out that way.  Due to CCP disastrous One Child Policy the main problem going forward would be under-population in my view.   
Why did they choose that title?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 09:40:43 PM »

Speaking of "Yellow Peril" there was actually an "underground" book written in 1991 called "Yellow Peril" by a 1989 pro-Democracy activist in 1990 and published in 1991.  I remember reading it over 1991 summer break when my uncle got a copy. 

The book predicts economic stagnation for the PRC after the 1989 crisis which leads to the decline in the morale and power of the PLA.  Thne the DPP wins power in the ROC but the KMT and ROC armed forces forces the new DPP regime into an attack on the PRC to retake Mainland China.  This leads to the almost complete breakdown of the PLA in the battlefield followed by the PLA using tactical nukes in desperation.  The ROC armed forces then takes over PLA bases with tactical nukes and strikes back.  USA and USSR then launches a massive nuke strike to disable all nuclear weapons on PRC before a strategic nuclear exchange breaks out in this renewed Chinese civil war.  This leads to the breakdown of the political social and economic order in Mainland China with several hundred million Chinese fleeing into other countries to escape starvation.   They march across the Eurasian Continent into Mainland Europe,  Japan bribes these refugees with transport to the USA in return for sparing Japan as place where they escape to.  Millions of these Chinese refugees are killed but many hundreds of  millions make it through causing a world wide catastrophy.

This book was sort of a revenge on CCP for the 1989 crackdown saying "you crush our movement your will will suffer in your stagnation and collapse." Of course things did not work out that way.  Due to CCP disastrous One Child Policy the main problem going forward would be under-population in my view.   
Why did they choose that title?

I guess because the book ends with a massive hundreds of million exodus of the Chinese across the world which would be the old Yellow Peril fear.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies