About Debate Time
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  About Debate Time
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: About Debate Time  (Read 1109 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2005, 10:11:45 AM »

I advise that a senator write a resolution striking debate time and stating that a vote occurs one week after being proposed.  Currently we have 9 bills that haven't been given debate time and aren't considered to be on the senate floor.  We're already running behind, and if its mass-introduction-of-bills trend continues, we're really going to get way too bogged down.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 10:18:39 AM »

The problem with that in my mind is that bad laws will get passed. Having so many bills on the floor of the Senate will make it nigh on impossible for Senators to dedicate the necessary time to legislation without spending far too many waking hours at their computers debating. Given that some laws will probably end up not getting enough debate, then some laws that probably shouldn't be passed will get passed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 11:02:48 AM »

I think that it would make more sense to have no debate on the bill until debate is opened.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 11:44:51 AM »

I wrote a resoltuion on reducing the bills being debated.  That seems like the best way to reduce the number of bills sitting there.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 12:12:07 PM »

I wrote a resoltuion on reducing the bills being debated.  That seems like the best way to reduce the number of bills sitting there.

In also write a resolution about debate time, allowing for any senator to end debate on a bill if it is not debated for longer than 24 hours.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 12:20:18 PM »

In also write a resolution about debate time, allowing for any senator to end debate on a bill if it is not debated for longer than 24 hours.

That is needed also. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 12:29:50 PM »

The problem with that in my mind is that bad laws will get passed. Having so many bills on the floor of the Senate will make it nigh on impossible for Senators to dedicate the necessary time to legislation without spending far too many waking hours at their computers debating. Given that some laws will probably end up not getting enough debate, then some laws that probably shouldn't be passed will get passed.

Nobody uses the allocated debate time and makes up their minds in the "not considered on floor" time.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 12:41:08 PM »

Nobody uses the allocated debate time and makes up their minds in the "not considered on floor" time.

If you read Harry's proposal you will notice that debate time is done away with and that all proposals will be voted on one week after introduction. My problem with this is that the volume of work will be so high that we will end up with a load of junk getting on to the books.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies