Any other Republicans who are about ready to throw in the towel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Any other Republicans who are about ready to throw in the towel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Any other Republicans who are about ready to throw in the towel?  (Read 2413 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »

Are there any Republicans other than me who are almost ready to give up on this campaign?  The polls are not looking good, and considering that the debates don't usually change much of anything, I don't see how Romney does it.  What say the rest of you?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »

I don't think people should throw the towel just yet.  1 month remaining, and anything can happen which is a long time in politics. You have to think about what a 2nd Obama term would do, and how much more devasting the US will become by 2016 if Obama is re-elected, god forbid.  The lack of confidence in Romney supporters depresses me.
TMac3000
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »

Don't believe the polls. They are crazy over-sampling Democrats
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »

What does "throwing in the towel" achieve?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »

Don't believe the polls. They are crazy over-sampling Democrats
Dick Morris has it right. Romney up 4 or so.

I say wait after the debate, though yeah, it's pretty much over and very hard to come back from. We'll see.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

You're not the only one:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2012/10/01/big-money-donors-toward-house-senate-races/

Says that a lot of Romney's big money donors are starting to shift their focus to the Senate and House.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »

I don't think people should throw the towel just yet.  1 month remaining, and anything can happen which is a long time in politics. You have to think about what a 2nd Obama term would do, and how much more devasting the US will become by 2016 if Obama is re-elected, god forbid.  The lack of confidence in Romney supporters depresses me.

So it's hell ,fire and brimstone if Obama gets reelected, says a lot about your confidence in the strength and resiliency of the Republic.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »

You're not the only one:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2012/10/01/big-money-donors-toward-house-senate-races/

Says that a lot of Romney's big money donors are starting to shift their focus to the Senate and House.

This is potentially huge. Sam Spade put it best in assessing a campaign's chances--follow the money.

If Karl Rove and Co. start abandoning Mitt, he's done. In fact, Romney needs to reverse the trend fast before this trickle turns into a stream which turns into......

I'm now convinced that Romney NEEDS a definitive win Wednesday night, or the very best he might do is make it respectably close.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:14:22 PM »

I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. It's just so exhausting. I hate this feeling, because despite all the gaffes and despite the fact that Mitt has been a terrible candidate, I still think he'd be a great president. His experience is the right kind of experience, and the continued Bain crap makes me sick.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »

This election remains in flux. Vast swaths of the electorate are disappointed in both of the policy cowards running, for various reasons. Both of them treat us like children. But the majority of the electorate seems to prefer "juvenilization." It's better living on the other side of the looking glass, with all those neat animals who talk.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This election was over in June. Romney just doesn't help the Republicans where they need to run - on social issues. He concedes the largest issue this entire election cycle.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »

Folks, tune in on Wednesday night. No matter how you feel right now, you are going to be pleasantly surprised in less than 48 hours.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »

This election was over in June. Romney just doesn't help the Republicans where they need to run - on social issues. He concedes the largest issue this entire election cycle.

Hi, Team Bush 2004. I need to warn you about something: Subprime mortgages, not gay marriage.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »

G W Bush was a person with whom other people could identify themselves. Rombot? Not so.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »

Folks, tune in on Wednesday night. No matter how you feel right now, you are going to be pleasantly surprised in less than 48 hours.

Indeed I will be.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »

And that is a horridly awkward phrase in English.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »

I could give two hoots about social issues right now, the debate needs to be focused on leadership and fiscal policies.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 09:48:49 PM »

Romney supports what will be the largest tax increase in the history of the United States, Obamacare.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »

Romney supports what will be the largest tax increase in the history of the United States, Obamacare.

We settled this over half a year ago: Romney opposes Obamacare. He will repeal and replace it. He will grant waivers to the states.

Unlike Obama, Romney will not raise taxes on anybody because doing so would be political suicide.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »

I could give two hoots about social issues right now, the debate needs to be focused on leadership and fiscal policies.

This.

If people had spent more time being fiscally conservative in the 2000s rather than being obsessed with gays and Terri Schiavo, maybe the country would have never wound up with a Chicago liberal in the White House...
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »

Rebranding it Romneycare doesn't change anything.

Newsflash - he already did so in Massachusetts.

Please tell me why I should vote for someone who believes Catholics are second class citizens?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »

Rebranding it Romneycare doesn't change anything.

Newsflash - he already did so in Massachusetts.

Please tell me why I should vote for someone who believes Catholics are second class citizens?

This is rubbish. I am ending this conversation. I am disappointed that you really want four more years of the last four years...

Congrats, Phil!

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »

The thing is, if you watched both conventions, one party seemed to be primarily focused on fiscal issues and the other included more social issue rhetoric. And the candidate whose party chose to focus on fiscal issues is losing. Maybe it's a coincidence, but perhaps there is something else there: the main criticism of Mitt Romney is that he isn't seen as empathetic, rather as cold an indifferent. Perhaps more discussion of social issues would have soften his image some?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »

Than the election was over once it was too late for Huckabee to get in. The man in your signature would not have executed that strategy correctly.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »

I appreciate you invoking your deity to prevent us from having an economic recovery and better health care.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies