PA voter ID enjoined until after the election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:07:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PA voter ID enjoined until after the election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PA voter ID enjoined until after the election  (Read 1245 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
« edited: October 04, 2012, 01:22:11 PM by Joe Republic »

So the Federal elections should be run like Vegas and we should ignore all legal binding contracts?!

I'm talking about credit card usage.  You made a comment about that; I responded to that.

Sorry.  "See ID" is not a part of my credit card contract.  I don't know about yours.  Is it common for right wingers to make up fantasy laws in their head and expect the rest of society to conform to them?  Besides it's fairly easy to get a fake ID.  Just this weekend a friend was showing me how he uses a dead relatives platinum rewards because they have the same initials and last name and people don't follow the procedure and check the signature physically written on the credit card... the way the actual contract dictates they should.

Hey, if you want to make it easier for somebody to steal and use your credit card, that's cool with me.  Personally I'd prefer that somebody matches my printed name on the front of the card against the printed name and face pic on my ID, instead of just matching the signature on the slip I just signed.  Which do you think is easier for somebody to forge: my signature, or my entire driver's license?
Link
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 01:47:21 PM by Link »

Wonderful news. Now we can have a more truly democratic election here in the keystone this year.

SOS, how many times have you showed your drivers license to someone in the past year or two?

For the purposes of proving I am who I say I am?!  Other than to the police... NEVER.  Have you?

Well I take that back some dumb sales clerks ask for it when I've used my credit card but if they bothered to read the credit card contract they are not supposed to ask for additional identification.
 I would hope the government would operate a little better than a clueless teenage sales clerk.

Lolwut.  Try using your credit card for anything over about ten dollars here in Vegas if you don't have your ID.  Don't want to show it to the clerk?  Cool, you can pay cash then.
So the Federal elections should be run like Vegas and we should ignore all legal binding contracts?!

I'm talking about credit card usage.  You made a comment about that; I responded to that.

Read the thread.  We are talking about specific photo ID for Federal Elections.  The only time in the last couple of years that someone legally or according to a written contract properly asked me for a photo ID for the purposes of identification was when a policeman thought I may have committed a crime (traffic violation).  Other than that a handful of clueless clerks who don't read the written contract they must follow have asked.

Sorry.  "See ID" is not a part of my credit card contract.  I don't know about yours.  Is it common for right wingers to make up fantasy laws in their head and expect the rest of society to conform to them?  Besides it's fairly easy to get a fake ID.  Just this weekend a friend was showing me how he uses a dead relatives platinum rewards because they have the same initials and last name and people don't follow the procedure and check the signature physically written on the credit card... the way the actual contract dictates they should.

Hey, if you want to make it easier for somebody to steal and use your credit card, that's cool with me.

I don't write the contracts for credit cards.  Why are you getting huffy with me?

Well might I suggest writing to the CEOs of the major credit card companies and sharing your ideas?  I'm not sure what railing on a politics forum about some minimum wage clerk following the actual written contract is going to accomplish.

As a moderator I'm going to assume you are familiar with the concept of following the rules...

And yes I have encountered merchants that for whatever reason can't follow the rules and after either a phone call to my issuing bank or a detailed letter I've gotten anywhere between $10-$4,000 put back on my credit card and I didn't have to return anything.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »

Your abuse of the quote function is too much for me to handle on my phone right now, so all I'll say is that you made an offhand comment about not needing to show your ID when making a purchase, and I responded that that is simply the norm in my part of the country.  Seriously, you would not be able to make a credit card purchase nearly anywhere in my town if you tried to petulantly refuse to show your ID with it.  Sure, this nothing to do with voter ID laws or even this thread, but neither did your original comment.  Not the first time a thread has gone somewhat off topic.
Link
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »

As a moderator I'm going to assume you are familiar with the concept of following the rules...

Your abuse of the quote function is too much for me to handle on my phone right now, so all I'll say is that you made an offhand comment about not needing to show your ID when making a purchase, and I responded that that is simply the norm in my part of the country.  Seriously, you would not be able to make a credit card purchase nearly anywhere in my town if you tried to petulantly refuse to show your ID with it.  Sure, this nothing to do with voter ID laws or even this thread, but neither did your original comment.  Not the first time a thread has gone somewhat off topic.

Joe the FACTS are against you.  It's not incumbent upon everyone in America to read your mind and tailor our responses to whatever device you happen to be reading at the moment.  Neither is it incumbent upon us to read your mind and comply with whatever contract you create in your head.  There are 300+ million people in America.  It would be chaos if we all started writing our own ID laws/contracts in our heads and expected everyone else to comply with them... even if it meant violating contracts they have already signed.  Not sure why this is an argument.  You signed the contract.  No one put a gun to your head.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

Um... you seem a little more... 'emotionally involved' in this conversation than me, with trying to prove some kind of point to me when I was simply pointing out that reality is sometimes different from the way you think it should be.
Link
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 02:37:44 PM by Link »

Um... you seem a little more... 'emotionally involved' in this conversation than me, with trying to prove some kind of point to me when I was simply pointing out that reality is sometimes different from the way you think it should be.

Joe, you, me and the sales clerks in question all signed various contracts that stipulated how these transactions are to go down.  You for whatever reason are blasting me and the sales clerks for not following your made up contract we never heard about.  How does that make me "emotionally involved."

If you look back on this series of posts only one person took the time to look up the exact verbiage from the entity that wrote the contract and paste it with a link to the independent source.  That person is being called "emotional" by a moderator.  Joe if two people can't agree on a contract that is posted right in front of their eyes how in the world do you expect them to have a meaningful conversation about Israel, the economy, Medicare, Social Security, immigration, abortion, etc?  When something is posted in black and white in front of your face with a source it is time to say you know what you are right.  I am wrong.  The clerks are following the contract... at least with me.  With your situation at least as far as MasterCard my understanding is they are supposed to ask for ID... then have you sign the card, so they don't have to ask for ID again.  Those are the rules.  Any deviation is a violation of the rules.  Which of course is your choice but why are you berating us if you decide to violate the contract we are following to the letter?

You are wrong Joe.  I have been wrong on multiple occasion.  Just admit you're wrong and move on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 05:14:33 PM by Joe Republic »

Golly, that was a lot of words.

Anyway, feel free to conduct your "I'M NOT SHOWING YOU MY ID!!!" crusade if you ever do visit Las Vegas.  Just be prepared to lose, or pay cash.
Link
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »

Anyway, feel free to conduct your "I'M NOT SHOWING YOU MY ID!!!" crusade if you ever do visit Las Vegas.

This has nothing to do with Las Vegas or any other geographic region...

Yes, I'm one of those people who has "see ID" written on the back of his credit card in the signature strip, and it really does bother me when sales clerks don't ask for it.

...but of course you already knew that.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »

Anyway, feel free to conduct your "I'M NOT SHOWING YOU MY ID!!!" crusade if you ever do visit Las Vegas.

Yes it does.  Do I need to go over this again?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »

More importantly, why does Link even care about this topic?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »

I really have no idea.  Huh  It's like I called his grandma a slut or something.
Link
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 05:52:23 PM by Link »

Yes, I'm one of those people who has "see ID" written on the back of his credit card in the signature strip, and it really does bother me when sales clerks don't ask for it.

...but of course you already knew that.

Yes it does.  Do I need to go over this again?

No you do not need to start all over again.  I'm not telling you what to do.  I'm just telling you what the contract is and that the only person that had any legitimate business asking me for a photo ID for the purposes of proving I am who I say I am in the past two years was a police officer.  Whether some civilian chooses to overstep the bounds of a contract has no bearing on voter ID laws.  Frankly it just illustrates people ask for ID even when they aren't supposed to and there is no need to carry that sort of behavior over to Federal elections.  And certainly not to the point you are turning people away at the polls for no other reason.

I think everyone should care about voter disenfranchisement.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies